• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Not sure if this was even the thread where we discussed potential transfers/departures if Manning gets fired... But I think the number is higher than I used to.

I think I said at least 3. I think it’s more than that.

I might just be unraveling, but I’m not even sure that we’re going to fire the guy anymore.

I think that we have played the last 2 games (which should be viewed as 2 of our most intense rivalries) as a team that has lost heart. That seemed particularly true tonight, especially with certain players. I expect that we will be demolished in the tournament.

Not sure if this was even the thread where we discussed potential transfers/departures if Manning gets fired... But I think the number is higher than I used to.

I think I said at least 3. I think it’s more than that.

I might just be unraveling, but I’m not even sure that we’re going to fire the guy anymore.

I think you might be unraveling which is understandable in our situation.

The key questions become:

1. Who is the new coach? If it's a name coach who encourages players to return, who transfers could be very different than if it's an "up and comer".
2. What is the educational status of the upperclassmen? If they haven't graduated but are close, sitting out is not a logical thing to do.
3. What's the new coach's style? A good example could be Massoud. He fits Beilein perfectly, but if we get a slower pace, he might not.

If the upper classmen aren't ready to graduate and we get a name coach, transfers of the Top 7 or so that are returning is not as likely.

We *had a coach with a "name" and he blew.

With a good coaching hire, we shouldn't lose any players of value.

Everybody is tired of all the losing. JUST WIN, BABY! :thumbsup:

Edit: *I used past tense- see what I did there! :)

Last edited:
$3M is the bottom of the market on top coaches for Wake. I wouldn't be surprised if we paid more to get a good one.

I wish this was the case but until proven otherwise I'll go with wake will f it up.

New approach

Let’s keep Danny and company on as head coach of a newly created JV team. He keeps his salary, everyone has a job, and he gets time to learn how to coach and administer a program. Any JV player having a good season could be brought up to varsity. Like high school, the JVs could play before the varsity has their game. Win win.

A long time ago I gave up worrying about what players stay or go if we change coaches. If we get a good coach, all of that will work itself out. Time to move on.

A long time ago I gave up worrying about what players stay or go if we change coaches. If we get a good coach, all of that will work itself out. Time to move on.

Neath and Massoud seem good. Brown and Sarr are good. But, we still haven’t exceeded 13 wins in a season under manning without John Collins on the roster. A kid like that may have been worth keeping a coach for one more season; none of these current players are worth another day of this garbage. Sorry, not sorry.

Neath and Massoud seem good. Brown and Sarr are good. But, we still haven’t exceeded 13 wins in a season under manning without John Collins on the roster. A kid like that may have been worth keeping a coach for one more season; none of these current players are worth another day of this garbage. Sorry, not sorry.

Yep. Just clean house. Whole staff. They'll get jobs somewhere else. Let the next coach re-recruit the players. That'll be their job.

I put this on the NBA thread, but Kenny Atkinson becoming available today needs to accelerate this process. Throw the while kitchen sink at that dude, every other target should now be considered secondary.

Atkinson doesn’t have any college experience. He’ll be back on an NBA bench and head coaching with a season or two.

I put this on the NBA thread, but Kenny Atkinson becoming available today needs to accelerate this process. Throw the while kitchen sink at that dude, every other target should now be considered secondary.

Too late. Wellman would love this guy but he is gone. I don't think Currie is completely insane.

Let’s keep Danny and company on as head coach of a newly created JV team. He keeps his salary, everyone has a job, and he gets time to learn how to coach and administer a program. Any JV player having a good season could be brought up to varsity. Like high school, the JVs could play before the varsity has their game. Win win.

Danny was an assistant at kansas. You think he will learn anything as a demoted job coach? He is clearly resistant to change. And learning.

Do you seriously like Hurley? Or is this just troll-Biff? I’m fine either way... Just curious.

Would actually be interested to hear an argument for Hurley. His brother would be a good hire, but he’s not leaving UConn.

If I had to pick a sleeper pick they make take a look at, it would be Russell Turner

That’s a very reasonable option Sportsnut. I would MUCH rather have Turner than Shaka. People who disagree either simply haven’t seen his teams play or just don’t know the game.

I’m all in on Beilein if we can pull it off. If we end up hiring a mid- major Turner is as good as any of them.

We have to make a splash hire. A Russell Turner or Wes Miller would not work.

Back