• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

If I had to pick a sleeper pick they make take a look at, it would be Russell Turner

Really doubt we're going to hire a coach who wasted 6 years of his career as an assistant coach at a P5 school that hasn't won an NCAA tourney game in a decade. Oh shit, that's us. Anyway he makes more sense than Wes "Jesus 2" Miller...

Really doubt we're going to hire a coach who wasted 6 years of his career as an assistant coach at a P5 school that hasn't won an NCAA tourney game in a decade. Oh shit, that's us. Anyway he makes more sense than Wes "Jesus 2" Miller...

There is some possibility he adjusted some of his career to allow his wife to pursue her medical education. That is an issue to be explore during an interview.

He was at Wake when Wake had some success.

If we’re looking fo someone who isn’t afraid to argue with refs, it could be Turner. He bitched every single time he missed a shot in intramural or pickup games.

With that loss, I fully expect Wes miller to be next coach. Would be so wake forest

With that loss, I fully expect Wes miller to be next coach. Would be so wake forest

It’s been a rough year for him. He definitely isn’t my first choice, and I think he used to be on my top 3 (he isn’t now), but I still think he’d be an ok hire. There would be some risk. I really wouldn’t go for Miller, Richey, or Forbes.

The most underrated, unnoticed coach by this board has to be Craig Smith. The guy is getting it done at Utah State. I know he doesn’t have much of a presence in North Carolina, and has no connections to Currie or Wake (that I know of). But does that matter? Shouldn’t we go after the coach that is the best at what he does... recruit the best players possible, develop those players, and fan engagement? If Beilein says no, Smith would be my #2. If Smith couldn’t happen. Maybe I do look at Forbes or Miller. The thing that scares me about Forbes is he’s winning with a bunch of seniors. I think it’s become pretty clear that Manning has had a very difficult time keeping his players around, for whatever reason. I absolutely believe part of that is on him, but I also think part of it is the game is changing. There are many more opportunities for guys to make money professionally playing basketball after you play at a school like Wake Forest in the ACC for a couple of years. If Forbes can’t find ways to win with young players, that will do him under at Wake. At ETSU he’s gone out found guys that weren’t getting the playing time they think they deserved at the P6 level. He’s brought them into his conference, and he’s winning with them. They’re better than the competition.

Maybe a little bit of an overreaction, but I just don’t want another let down coach. I’m ready for a winner. Beilein, come on down to The Dash. You’ll be welcomed with open arms!

I'm not a proponent of Forbes or against him either but, it's not like he can recruit one and done to ETSU or even 4 or 5 stars. So it's a little unfair to blame him for winning with seniors. I'd hate to see the guys that do stay at Wake 4 years be contributors. Other than a guy that didn't bring any of the player in, winning is winning, you have to deal with the card's you've been dealt. In fact if he can win with cast of P6, he'd have little trouble turning us around quickly. I'm sure castoffs would rather play in the ACC than ETSU's conference.

If we’re looking fo someone who isn’t afraid to argue with refs, it could be Turner. He bitched every single time he missed a shot in intramural or pickup games.

Ha ha! I remember Turner in the gym.

I'm reading all of these negative comments the last few pages by prominent Wake alums about Wes Miller, Russell Turner, and Pat Kelsey. Our AD is reading them as well.

Let's be clear: in March, 2020 an overwhelming majority of Wake folks wanted us to pursue Beilein, Matta, Shaka type hire over Miller, Turner and/or Kelsey.

Your positions will have consequences. We could have hired Miller, Turner and/or Kelsey in 2014 had the alumni base rallied around that. It did not. Now here we are in 2020. Same positions are being asserted.

Regardless of the merits of which decision is correct, let there be no doubt that now, at this critical time, our alums are deciding to not rally around the Miller, Turner, and/or Kelsey type option. We will see how that decision plays out as well but no one later write that it did not happen.

I'm reading all of these negative comments the last few pages by prominent Wake alums about Wes Miller, Russell Turner, and Pat Kelsey. Our AD is reading them as well.

Let's be clear: in March, 2020 an overwhelming majority of Wake folks wanted us to pursue Beilein, Matta, Shaka type hire over Miller, Turner and/or Kelsey.

Your positions will have consequences. We could have hired Miller, Turner and/or Kelsey in 2014 had the alumni base rallied around that. It did not. Now here we are in 2020. Same positions are being asserted.

Regardless of the merits of which decision is correct, let there be no doubt that now, at this critical time, our alums are deciding to not rally around the Miller, Turner, and/or Kelsey type option. We will see how that decision plays out as well but no one later write that it did not happen.

The bad thing is you aren’t even a troll, you are being dead serious.

Our alums also haven’t rallied around wrangor as a head coach. I wonder why.

In 2014, Wes Miller was a 30 year old third year coach with a career record of 33-51.

Ron Wellman made an incredibly dumb decision. Miller would’ve been 100 times dumber.

MATTA MATTA MATTA MATTA !!!!!!

By your own account, our program is a complete shitshow and has been for years. If the AD is reading any of this, they should be happy any of us even care anymore.

There is zero chance anyone with a say in the coaching search gives a shit about what is contained in this thread.

And let’s be honest, we couldn’t rally around the fact that the sky is blue around here. There is never going to be a consensus on a new coach.

So take your haughty, disingenuous bullshit elsewhere.

I'm hoping this is Currie's plan for the upcoming week
Step 1: Announce press conference
Step 2: Tell everyone Manning is fired
Step 3: Announce a home run hire the very next day

Also: Miller, Turner, and Kelsey are exactly where they were in 2014.

I think they are all good coaches, FWIW.

I just don’t think Wake ties should be given much weight in this hiring process.

You like Currie. I like Currie. He’ll do what is best for our program regardless of what a bunch of idiots (myself included) post on a message board.

What? We aren’t rallying around Shaka. I’ve read as many comments against, as for. People also have concerns about Matta and Beilein (age). I’ve seen plenty of positive comments about Miller.

Back