• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

You’re right - Currie was named to the position 3/3/19 but there was that two month transition period. Can’t fault him for not canning Manning last year. This year however...

Currie's "window of opportunity" opens first business day next week. We will see what happens in the next few weeks.

The current AD has been at Wake 10 months, not 10+years. His first window of opportunity (see other basketball coach firing dates) is about to open. We will see if things change, with the change at the top of the Athletics Department.

At any normal school - in other words, one not worried more about what outside third parties think than making the correct internal decision - firing Manning could have and would have been done in Currie's first 10 seconds on the job. The first 10 minutes would have been pushing it. And we would undoubtedly be in a better place right now with, at worst, the same lost season that we ended up with. The fact that he hasn't done it in 10 months just shows that he is an incompetent hack in the same mold as his predecessor. The fact that, 10 months later, he MAY be finally getting around to doing what he should have done in the first place, won't make him any less of a hack for unnecessarily putting the remaining fans/alumni through the past season.

Was Wake's legal counsel at the time of the contract negotiations a Wake grad? Not trolling, just curious. My recollection is that the answer is yes, which I suspect is part of BudatWake's frustration.

Bingo!

Can’t RJ just send his guy over to Manning’s office to straighten this out?!

With the NBA suspending play, now is the time to go after Jeff Van Gundy.

He's not just GC, he's on the BOT. It's not like he doesn't hold weight with his opinion.

Just because you have a lot of influence still doesn't mean you get to make the call unilaterally. For all we know, he's reminding the rest of the contingent how stupid they were for the terms of Manning's contract. Folks don't get to those jobs by getting out of their lane. Instead, it's by proving you're the sane one in the room who isn't a dick to everyone else when they make stupid decisions (ahem, Wellman in bball... repeatedly).

Just because you have a lot of influence still doesn't mean you get to make the call unilaterally. For all we know, he's reminding the rest of the contingent how stupid they were for the terms of Manning's contract. Folks don't get to those jobs by getting out of their lane. Instead, it's by proving you're the sane one in the room who isn't a dick to everyone else when they make stupid decisions (ahem, Wellman in bball... repeatedly).

As a corporate attorney I have tons of experience advising senior execs of the risks associated with certain actions and having them proceed anyway. We don't know what happened behind the scenes but the GC certainly could have told them it was crazy and then they could have done it anyway.

Was Wake's legal counsel at the time of the contract negotiations a Wake grad? Not trolling, just curious. My recollection is that the answer is yes, which I suspect is part of BudatWake's frustration.

Any competent lawyer would have explained the risk Wake was undertaking, and I'm sure Wake's counsel did. Wake just decided to do it anyways. You can advise clients all day about what not to do, but sometimes they do it anyway.

J Reid Morgan is currently WF's Senior VP and General Counsel and has been in that position for years. At the time the deal was struck in 2017, Manning signed the largest, by far, employment contract (in monetary value) in WF history. Morgan either knew or should have known (and approved) every term in that contract.

Commercial terms like the amount likely would not need his approval. He almost certainly explained the risk that if we want to get rid of him, we're going to have to pay $X. Wellman and the board approved the deal.

Any competent lawyer would have explained the risk Wake was undertaking, and I'm sure Wake's counsel did. Wake just decided to do it anyways. You can advise clients all day about what not to do, but sometimes they do it anyway.

Agree with this except to change to "most times they do it anyway."

Sticking with Manning out. Eat the money.

Forbes in. Double his salary or whatever.

Win games next year. Recruit some top 150 guys or better.

Win even more in the future.

Back