• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

I'm all in on Matta. I mean technically I'm all in on Manning getting shit-canned and then going after Matta, but once DM is toast we should throw all we have at getting Thad to WFU.

wondering if a guy like Forbes would move on this year -- would he see it as abandoning his team after he didn't get to coach them in the tournament and would wanna try and run it back?

With his salary, bonus and retention fee, he makes about $650,000/year. He'll get close to four times that at Wake. What do you think?

With his salary, bonus and retention fee, he makes about $650,000/year. He'll get close to four times that at Wake. What do you think?

normally yeah just seems like an aberration of a year and people can be wired differently

Of the discussed guys out there, I'd be really happy with Matta, Forbes, or Beilein. Forbes doesn't have the high major results of the other two but I like his attitude of approaching the game and his past results as both a mid-major coach + high major assistant.

I guess you could include Willard in there too but I don't know enough about him to really say much besides he seems like a heck of a coach for Seton Hall. Shaka too, but his luster is diminishing some and he isn't likely to be available anyways.

Then there are some other guys that I'd be fine/happy with including Miller, Turner, Hurley, etc. Not my top choices and would like WF to pursue other guys first and I might not be ecstatic in proclaiming my love for the hire but I'd still ultimately be fine with it if they were hired. Maybe Kelsey is in this tier too but I go back and forth on him (mainly due to his head coaching experience being at a lower major only). Maybe Chambers in here too but his largely "blah" results outside 2/3 of this season make me hesitant.

Then I get to the "floor tier" which is simply the aforementioned Air Bud, because come on, a dog in a suit on the sidelines would be hilarious and WF really doesn't have much else to lose.

Last edited:
I have some serious connection with Matta, so I hope that it is him. I almost went to work for him at one point. He is a phenomenal coach, and would bring a lot of wins to the table. My ranking would be:

1. Matta
2. Beilein
3. Shaka (a lot of risk now with his failure at Texas, but hard to not rank him 3rd)
4. Forbes

If it gets beyond that I am pretty worried about the outcome.

I have some serious connection with Matta, so I hope that it is him. I almost went to work for him at one point. He is a phenomenal coach, and would bring a lot of wins to the table. My ranking would be:

1. Matta
2. Beilein
3. Shaka (a lot of risk now with his failure at Texas, but hard to not rank him 3rd)
4. Forbes

I think this is my ranking at this time also. I also worry about Shaka right now, but he would bring a lot of energy to the program and maybe a smaller school is a better fit for him. If not any of these, my encouragement will teeter over the slippery slope of WTF.

As a corporate attorney I have tons of experience advising senior execs of the risks associated with certain actions and having them proceed anyway. We don't know what happened behind the scenes but the GC certainly could have told them it was crazy and then they could have done it anyway.

Are people really suggesting the Wake GC was somehow duped into advising Wellman, Hatch, etc to sign the reported contract or was too lazy to point out the guarantee language? Come on people...

1. Matta
2. Beilein
4. Forbes

Totally agree with this list and overall take. If we don’t get one of those four (with an appropriate substitution candidate of similar quality if it’s someone else) I’m very worried about the future of the program.

Top grad-transfer PG Bryce Aiken was interviewed yesterday about how his process is going. He said Coronavirus has limited his ability to take visits so it may be a drawn out process. Notably, he talked about his good relationship with John Beilein when he was being recruited to Michigan. Beilein at Wake could definitely land him.

Other notable transfers immediately eligible:

Darius Perry - Louisville
Kodye Pugh - Stanford
Evan Cole - Georgia Tech
Taurean Thompson - Seton Hall

Top grad-transfer PG Bryce Aiken was interviewed yesterday about how his process is going. He said Coronavirus has limited his ability to take visits so it may be a drawn out process. Notably, he talked about his good relationship with John Beilein when he was being recruited to Michigan. Beilein at Wake could definitely land him.

In four years at Harvard he played 28, 14, 18 and 7 games. His only good three point shooting year was as a junior 39.8%. He never averaged more than 3 apg. It seems he's a 6' shooting guard.

While I want to spent limitless money on men's basketball at the expense of everything else at the University, I'm cognizant that others don't share my views. If I was told I only had 30-40 million to fix the basketball disaster at this point, I would not spend 16 of it buying out Manning. There would be a temporary uptick no doubt--we'd go 15th to 9th. Who cares?

We need a long term fix so when Corona and more time goes by we will be better positioned. I'd be announcing a capital campaign over 2-3 years to "Begin building for the first time in 90 years, our own stadium. Our Home." Manning's buyout money would be the first deposit.

This would place us in a position to actually have a chance to have sustained, top 5 ACC success for decades beginning in the 2026-28 time frame. Fresh digs. Fresh Coach. Fresh Recruits. 2027. We are compromising 2027 and beyond by wasting money on this buffoon of a Coach. I'd trash the guy publicly, let him Coach say it's against our will and begin building.

While I want to spent limitless money on men's basketball at the expense of everything else at the University, I'm cognizant that others don't share my views. If I was told I only had 30-40 million to fix the basketball disaster at this point, I would not spend 16 of it buying out Manning. There would be a temporary uptick no doubt--we'd go 15th to 9th. Who cares?

We need a long term fix so when Corona and more time goes by we will be better positioned. I'd be announcing a capital campaign over 2-3 years to "Begin building for the first time in 90 years, our own stadium. Our Home." Manning's buyout money would be the first deposit.

This would place us in a position to actually have a chance to have sustained, top 5 ACC success for decades beginning in the 2026-28 time frame. Fresh digs. Fresh Coach. Fresh Recruits. 2027. We are compromising 2027 and beyond by wasting money on this buffoon of a Coach. I'd trash the guy publicly, let him Coach say it's against our will and begin building.

This reads like your left and right brain were having an argument with each other. It is one thing when people contradict things they said before. It is quite another when the contradict what they said in the paragraph above. Perhaps the CBD oil was the wrong one.

I think it would help to have a competent coach leading the basketball program before we start asking for more capital.

I think it would help to have a competent coach leading the basketball program before we start asking for more capital.

Nah, you bank the buyout money like DR said start a capital campaign. Never mind that the buyout money is probably ear-marked for just a buyout and if it isn't, you probably pissed off a few of your biggest donors for not using it like you said you would. They'll see the big picture!

Future WF on-campus gym (seating capacity 100):

300px-HoosierGymInterior.jpg

Back