• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan's 6-part Wellman interview now online

Ron Wellman: If you look hard enough for excuses, you will find them

RW: Well if you look at our attendance this year, it was up.

MTOW: Was it?

RW: Yeah it was. We track this very carefully, as you can well imagine. Our student attendance was up 55 percent this year over last year. Now last year was not a good year obviously with student attendance. But I think that’s a result of a couple of factors. Our players are relating to their classmates on campus. Our players are going out and making appearances on campus, which our students relate to. I think our students also recognize the caliber of play, the effort that is being made by our players. They’re responding positively to that. When I talk about our 11-5 (home) record, obviously the team gets a lot of credit, but I think our fan base gets an awful lot of credit for that as well. The enthusiasm in the Joel this year was much better than it has been the last couple of years, so that’s a step in the right direction. Our overall attendance increased this year by 11 percent. That’s encouraging. So I’m very encouraged by the way the fans are responding to the team and the effort that the team is making, the personalities on the team. All of that is very encouraging to me.

Average attendance (based on ESPN box scores)
11-12 Season: 8,675 (59.2% of Joel capacity)
12-13 Season: 9,614 (65.6% of Joel capacity)
10.8% increase

10.8% increase

In keeping with the program itself. If you crater your performance low enough initially, any small steps out of the hole you've dug for yourself represent an improvement

Uhhh, the really good Wake Forest teams were favored in most of the games they played. That is the definition of being a "really good team." It sounds like Wellman is just looking for us to avoid a bunch of blowouts, win about half the games, including a game here and there against a real team. In other words, LOWF. Maybe we can even sneak into the NCAA tourney every 3 or 4 years as a 10 seed!!

I just read the full interview, and was reading through the posts. This is what I was going to say. What the fuck planet was he living on during Gaudio's tenure. I am pretty sure that for a good period of time, Wake was expected to win each game. I mean I don't know what else a number 1 ranking means. So Ronny boy, go fist yourself you fucking douche.

34-60 (11-42 ACC)

Hey Ronnie- you play to win the game! You have some 'splaining to do!!:eek:

Damn Yow at Cow College is cleaning house and even cans her damn womens' teams coaches.

Last edited:
RW: Well if you look at our attendance this year, it was up.

MTOW: Was it?

RW: Yeah it was. We track this very carefully, as you can well imagine. Our student attendance was up 55 percent this year over last year. Now last year was not a good year obviously with student attendance. But I think that’s a result of a couple of factors. Our players are relating to their classmates on campus. Our players are going out and making appearances on campus, which our students relate to. I think our students also recognize the caliber of play, the effort that is being made by our players. They’re responding positively to that. When I talk about our 11-5 (home) record, obviously the team gets a lot of credit, but I think our fan base gets an awful lot of credit for that as well. The enthusiasm in the Joel this year was much better than it has been the last couple of years, so that’s a step in the right direction. Our overall attendance increased this year by 11 percent. That’s encouraging. So I’m very encouraged by the way the fans are responding to the team and the effort that the team is making, the personalities on the team. All of that is very encouraging to me.

10.8% increase

How many of the tickets were comp or sold @ a heavily discounted rate???

You, Ron Wellman, are a fucking idiot.

That was the most brainless drivel I've read all month. I don't even know where to begin - his head is so far jammed up his ass.

That or he's in the first stages of Alzheimer's/Dementia. Seriously, Ron - Go get a catscan of your head if you're reading this - it might be a tumor.

Wonder what the % would be if you take out the sellout for CP3 Day

He actually had a FEW good points... but still seems like brainwashed madness.

He needs to retire.

" I think his coaching acumen was evident throughout the season, probably moreso this year than in the previous two years. But I thought it was evident this year. Yes."

My favorite.

I think that what gets lost in these discussions is that most sports fans think of expectations in competitive performance and W-L records, while it has become obvious that our AD has his own unique ways of setting expectations for our programs.

This needs to be posted in every thread. Whether you agree with his approach or not (NOT), it'll save you a lot of trouble wondering why Bzz is still our coach.

I think when people look at Wake Forest athletics, they see a value driven athletic department, an athletic department that does things right, an athletic department that has really good coaches."

Well, Ronnie, when I look at Wake Forest athletics, I want to see WINNING. Your pompous, elitist culture club is nauseating.

Last edited:
He made a good point about the physical nature of the game (comparing it to a wrestling match).

Other wise, I've never been more convinced that we could pick a random person from this board and they could do a better job at AD than Wellman. I realize a lot of it is spin, but the fact that he hasn't fired Buzz only proves that wins and losses don't matter at all. It's all about not admitting a mistake and keeping a long-time friend employed.

" I think his coaching acumen was evident throughout the season, probably moreso this year than in the previous two years. But I thought it was evident this year. Yes."

My favorite.

His coaching acumen in LOSING is ginormous.

So...he wouldn't give a definitive number but he says he sees improvement in home play every year with [Redacted], so that would be better than 11-5 next year if we were to continue to improve. And then for on the road we get this
"But if you can break even on the road or be in that vicinity, you’re going to be a heck of a team if you can do that. So we’ve got to do better on the road to return to our competitive history."

So when you break that down we'd be looking at something like a 18 or 19 win season expectation to be "a heck of a team"
Great expectations...

Back