• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

Trout is probs my favorite fish to eat, but I can't seem to find it anywhere in stores. You got a place in town that generally has it?
No but I got a connect. A coworker in Maryland raises trout on her farm. Will hit you up next year when she’s selling again if you want.

Wife and I cook a lot and love to cook and are quite good at it, but we have been notoriously bad at cooking fish. I have absolutely destroyed hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of perfectly lovely seafood. A friend recently recommended this book and we have been crushing it. We're fish people now. Cannot recommend enough. Not only are there recipes, but there are instructions on how to cook different fish and why certain methods are better than others. It also provides substitution suggestions for every recipe.

shopping

Thanks for the rec! Just picked it up from the library last night!

Wife and I cook a lot and love to cook and are quite good at it, but we have been notoriously bad at cooking fish. I have absolutely destroyed hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of perfectly lovely seafood. A friend recently recommended this book and we have been crushing it. We're fish people now. Cannot recommend enough. Not only are there recipes, but there are instructions on how to cook different fish and why certain methods are better than others. It also provides substitution suggestions for every recipe.

shopping

Had the in-laws in town and made the Halibut en Cocotte from this (also from another Test Kitchen cookbook as well). It was awesome. Really hit the sweet spot as far as effort, time, and results go. Very impressed, looking forward to the next one.

Honestly the biggest fish hint is "cook it 25 percent less than you think you need to."
Frozen is not a bad thing in most fish. Thawed frozen shitfish from Giant or Food Lion or whatever is a problem, though.
Fish in parchment or salt crust is almost impossible to fuck up.

Trout is probs my favorite fish to eat, but I can't seem to find it anywhere in stores. You got a place in town that generally has it?
Good trout is pretty absent from stores, and is best prepared the day you catch it, or smoked.

nice easy weeknight meal

34ff44f43543057cf16fce046b53b868.jpg

Full menu: Prime rib, Roasted garlic mash potatoes, sautéed spinach with Parm, roasted carrots and chick peas with marinated feta…made a red wine reduction with the pan drippings and horseradish sauce too.

We did Kenji’s ragu bolognese. I normally like to do a hunk o meat on Christmas but my MIL has this newfound aversion to major kitchen messes on holidays so I figured with this one I could knock out most of the dirty work hours before with the prep work/sautéing. I wish we coulda made pasta, but again, kitchen mess. Still tasty, though.

We did Kenji’s ragu bolognese. I normally like to do a hunk o meat on Christmas but my MIL has this newfound aversion to major kitchen messes on holidays so I figured with this one I could knock out most of the dirty work hours before with the prep work/sautéing. I wish we coulda made pasta, but again, kitchen mess. Still tasty, though.

I’ve made that, super tasty.

My wife picked up a pork loin for our Super Bowl party. My first thought is to just throw it in the smoker with the wings, but figured I'd check here to see if y'all had any other suggestions.

Made sheet pan gnocchi last night. Baked it with red onion, tomatoes, garlic, salt pepper, turned a few times over about 30 minutes @425. Removed and mashed the garlic, mixed with lemon juice a little more s&p. Mixed it all with some spinach and arugula. Turned out nicely with the ingredients shinning. Needed a little something extra but not sure what.

My wife picked up a pork loin for our Super Bowl party. My first thought is to just throw it in the smoker with the wings, but figured I'd check here to see if y'all had any other suggestions.
Obviously too late at this point but sous vide is a great way to make a pork loin awesome. And you can still smoke it if you want. Whether it's a rack of pork, a loin, a tenderloin, or just thick-cut chops - you can cook it longer at like 140 instead of the traditional 165. Juicy, tender, ridiculously good value for how inexpensive some of those cuts are.

Pork loin makes good satay. A peanut sauce is a good addition too.

Almost time to make the (2nd) greatest Superbowl treat - chili melted in Velveeta.

The best is buffalo chicken dip, but my wife doesn't like it.

Almost time to make the (2nd) greatest Superbowl treat - chili melted in Velveeta.

The best is buffalo chicken dip, but my wife doesn't like it.
I made chili but debated doing buffalo cauliflower dip. since it would just be me eating it I didn't feel good about just consuming all that in good conscious.

I made chili but debated doing buffalo cauliflower dip. since it would just be me eating it I didn't feel good about just consuming all that in good conscious.
NGL, I don't feel super great today.

Back