• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

Les and Cam have lost whatever little credibility they had. I agree completely that the reason for the extent of our anger is that it was blown up our asses that we wouldn’t have a drop off at all.
Clawson is the one that said we had eight good offensive linemen and were in great shape there. Les and Cam did not put those words in our coach’s mouth.

So a they want to 100% control the messaging thing?

Well, like any professional, Currie wants a consistent message from his organization. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say "control the messaging" but I guess one could infer that. Plus, some things literally may not come to fruition and those can be hard to walk back once they're broadcast to the world. There were no secret handshakes or skull and bones. I ain't at that level in giving! I'm a Tier 2 guy unlike Donnie Greensboro. :).

Getting ready to hop on a plane soon. Hope to make it to South Bend next Saturday but that may not work out.

GO DEACS!!!! BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF NOTRE DAME!!

Les and Cam have lost whatever little credibility they had. I agree completely that the reason for the extent of our anger is that it was blown up our asses that we wouldn’t have a drop off at all.
They never had any credibility. “Don’t question my integrity!”

I honestly can’t believe people actually pay for their garbage.

Les is a hack. A nice enough guy I guess, unless you disagree with him, but a hack nonetheless. Cam…Cam can fuck right off. I hate that anyone supports those two, despite their coverage of the Deacs. I’m not sure they have any credibility left. Anyone watching the first few games knew that our issues largely centered around the QB position. You have to wonder if there were actual journalists posing tough questions to DC, if he wouldn’t have reluctantly admitted to the QB issues earlier and salvaged whatever season we had left. Nobody put any pressure on him until it was obviously an issue - even after the home crowd booed Mitch and DC. We then watched with wonder, our 3rd string QB, and seemingly last resort, come in and lead us to victory over Pitt to only then turn around and watch Mitch trot out there again to shit the bed. DC is stubborn as a mule so I have no idea how much it would have helped, but the fans being told by one of Wake’s only beat writers that we are wrong and they and DC are right was/is incredibly frustrating in hindsight.

Also, despite his overuse of capitalization to make a point…Abster did call this before and after the first game. It’s a shame nobody on the staff saw what was about to happen to the season after our opener and especially after ODU.
I thought Mitch looked shaky in the Elon game but then looked a lot better in the Vandy game. He controlled the game, played within himself, and didn't turn it over. After that it was obviously all down hill. Preseason, I'm pretty sure Clawson thought Mitch would play like he did in the Vandy game, or like the first 3 quarters of the Duke game. I don't think Clawson had any idea Mitch would be this bad - if he did, he would have prepared Kern or would have gone to the portal.

Some players perform a lot better in practice. Others are the opposite and perform better in games. But most have game performances that match their practice. I'm pretty sure Mitch must be one of those guys that performs a lot better in practice, which is why Clawson thought he was in good shape.

Last edited:
I thought Mitch looked shaky in the Elon game but then looked a lot better in the Vandy game. He controlled the game, played within himself, and didn't turn it over. After that is was obviously all down hill. Preseason, I'm pretty sure Clawson thought Mitch would play like he did in the Vandy game, or like the first 3 quarters of the Duke game. I don't think Clawson had any idea Mitch would be this bad - if he did, he would have prepared Kern or would have gone to the portal.

Some players perform a lot better in practice. Others are the opposite and perform better in games. But most have game performances that match their practice. I'm pretty sure Mitch must be one of those guys that performs a lot better in practice, which is why Clawson thought he was in good shape.
True. My biggest complaint is that Clawson continued to stick with Griffis, even after it was clear that our other QB's seemed to give us a better chance to win. Marucci has done something that Griffis has never done- won an ACC game. He should have started the FSU and played until it was obvious he couldn't compete at QB at this level. Instead we brought Griffis back out there- to completely predictable results. Then the same thing against Duke and State. We finally brought Kern in, but it was too late.
Hopefully Kern will start our last 2 games and we won't be as woefully inept as we were with Griffis. Don't think we will win but at least hoping that we won't look like a joke.

Why the secrecy? Is the amount we have to offer like a form of competitive intelligence that if it were known would hurt us getting guys?

This is an erudite observation. Even worse on the fundraising side.

True. My biggest complaint is that Clawson continued to stick with Griffis, even after it was clear that our other QB's seemed to give us a better chance to win. Marucci has done something that Griffis has never done- won an ACC game. He should have started the FSU and played until it was obvious he couldn't compete at QB at this level. Instead we brought Griffis back out there- to completely predictable results. Then the same thing against Duke and State. We finally brought Kern in, but it was too late.
Hopefully Kern will start our last 2 games and we won't be as woefully inept as we were with Griffis. Don't think we will win but at least hoping that we won't look like a joke.
Yep, completely agree.

Clawson has coached his heart out for over 10 years. To go to good bowl games every year but your first year is special. If we aren’t careful we will drive him off, much like Grobe.
Is that what happened with Grobe? 😂

Les was actually trying to sell that Mitch’s struggles are comparable to Hartman’s only a few weeks ago. Sure, Sam had some bad games, but he was obviously better as a true freshman than Mitch has ever or will ever be.
Because Sam got rid of the ball instead of standing there like a statue forever, waiting to be bulldozed?

I am not sure how Griffis performed well in practice when he cannot scramble at all ever. Maybe the yellow don't hit the QB jersey masked his ineffectiveness.

There's no way he was just playing pitch and catch with our WR in practice. He can't do that at all, either.

I won't act like I'm an active participant in this thread, but I've got an honest question:

How many CFB towns would Tommy Elrod feel comfortable living in, after stealing/sharing playbooks/gameplans?
Probably something like 90% of them

Clawson has coached his heart out for over 10 years. To go to good bowl games every year but your first year is special. If we aren’t careful we will drive him off, much like Grobe.
Do you consider the Gasparilla Bowl at Tropicana Field a good bowl game?

Clawson is the one that said we had eight good offensive linemen and were in great shape there. Les and Cam did not put those words in our coach’s mouth.
Well sure, but when it was clear that what Clawson said wasn’t accurate, they didn’t ask the pertinent questions or dare challenge what the head coach was stating to the media. That’s one of their many jobs. To not do that means they only report on the good - of which there hasn’t been much, but anyone who pointed out the obvious was accused of being a bad fan, or impatient, or questioning their integrity. Les and Cam both are wet noodles with an inferiority complex - let’s be honest.

Also, I have it on good authority that WFU8184 is Les.

We missed bowl games his first two years. We’ve only been to one objectively good bowl game: the Gator. It was time for Grobe to leave. No one is regretting that we “drove him off.”

I don’t think the issue is thst we took a stop back. It’s that we went back to the starting gate. It’s how we lost and to be honest how we won. This just didn’t seem like the same team “brand” as the last few years

Back