• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

Clawson gave a clue to one of the problems in his press conference. He believed he had built a program that would sustain itself. In 2023 the goal must be to build a winning team for that year. Transfer rules and NIL have changed the emphasis from long term solutions to short term solutions. It's a different game.

Keep in mind Dave Clawson has never had to sustain a football program. He would build a winner and then move on. For the first time in his career he is facing a problem he has never had to confront. Most people in that position stumble. Some folks learn from it and continue to succeed. Most folks fail and enter a revolving door of coaching positions hoping to reclaim the magic.

Clawson has coached his heart out for over 10 years. To go to good bowl games every year but your first year is special. If we aren’t careful we will drive him off, much like Grobe.
This is why I got so angry at Windy Boy for denigrating the WF bowl streak. He has no idea what the boomer Deacs have been through and how much we appreciate Clawson. WF is the toughest P5 job in the nation.

We missed bowl games his first two years. We’ve only been to one objectively good bowl game: the Gator. It was time for Grobe to leave. No one is regretting that we “drove him off.”

Just to be clear, 77 seasons have passed since Wake's first bowl eligibility.

Here's the comprehensive list of bowl games prior to Clawson's tenure:

Screenshot_20231112-192621.png

I'm definitely cherry picking, but Clawson's credibility is pretty damned high... since he's 1 bowl win (and, maybe, only 2 wins this season) away from doubling the number of trophies in our case.

View attachment 6675

I'm definitely cherry picking, but Clawson's credibility is pretty damned high... since he's 1 bowl win (and, maybe, only 2 wins this season) away from doubling the number of trophies in our case.
I think to be fair you’d have to see how many bowls other coaches would’ve made if they were in the juiced bowl era. 2/3 of all teams make a bowl now. It’s actually more difficult now to MISS a bowl than make one.

Clawson gave a clue to one of the problems in his press conference. He believed he had built a program that would sustain itself. In 2023 the goal must be to build a winning team for that year. Transfer rules and NIL have changed the emphasis from long term solutions to short term solutions. It's a different game.

Keep in mind Dave Clawson has never had to sustain a football program. He would build a winner and then move on. For the first time in his career he is facing a problem he has never had to confront. Most people in that position stumble. Some folks learn from it and continue to succeed. Most folks fail and enter a revolving door of coaching positions hoping to reclaim the magic.
Clawson needs to learn how to sustain a program for the first time. I agree with that. But the sad truth is this season is much better if Clawson develops a P5 level QB behind Hartman.

Last edited:
It would serve some of the fans right if Dave left for the NFL. He would be a very successful nfl coach/Gm. Wake would have to start over.
Honestly if someone would have said you would have been to 9 bowls in 10 years including one 11 win year would you have signed up.
This will end up the same way it did with the last guy

Good point about Clawson never having to sustain a winning program— he always moved on. This is why I have said that Clawson always wanted to move on to a bigger program and never intended to be a lifer here. He never quite had the resume to pull that off, and this year sealed it.

Les shouldn’t argue with those who subscribe to his site. But he provides a lot of good information. He gave info that Griffis was accurate in camp. He’s still accurate. He just can’t or won’t get a pass off. Griffis had done nothing but practice for 3 years except for the VMI game. That’s a long time since his high school games. He was rusty as hell when he got in the heat of battle and it was too fast for him both mentally and physically. Although he’s in his 4th year, he’s a freshman as far as competing in the ACC. A rusty freshman at that. Clawson bet the house on him succeeding and apparently couldn’t sign a good QB recruit because Mitch was heir apparent to Sam’s job. It has cost us a year, but Hecklinski is really good and hopefully will sign in December and enroll in January. If the staff can get the blessing of Hecklinski, it will likely sign a one year QB from the portal to compete with him for the starting job. Kern might come back to compete for it. Idk enough about Charlie or Mizell to know if they are talented enough to compete, but one was lightly recruited and the other is a preferred walk on.

View attachment 6675

I was just responding point by point to the other poster.

View attachment 6675

Not making a single bowl until post WW2 means we never had a shot the Bacardi Bowl in Havana, and with Clawson as coach, we probably never will again.

It would serve some of the fans right if Dave left for the NFL. He would be a very successful nfl coach/Gm. Wake would have to start over.
Honestly if someone would have said you would have been to 9 bowls in 10 years including one 11 win year would you have signed up.
This will end up the same way it did with the last guy
David Paul Clawson is not going to the NFL to be a coach or GM.

Anyone who didn’t expect us to take some good medicine this year is delusional after losing our 6th year QB (despite that I still think it was right call for Sam to move on- just wish it wasn’t ND in a year we’re playing them). Most Any non-blue blood Power 5 team would take a step back. Stevie Wonder coulda seen that Mitch wasn’t going to work out at this level when he struggled against Elon in the opener to scramble, couldn’t see over the line, and took too long. To be fair to him - O line and WR’s have taken a huge step back this year too so he hasn’t exactly had a good deck of cards. DC is extremely analytical and business minded but it still baffles me how long it takes him to sit guys and give someone else a chance- especially QB. This isn’t pee wee football or FCS ball.

I was thinking 5 wins, 6 wins tops, and I have receipts. We'll see.

Do you consider the Gasparilla Bowl at Tropicana Field a good bowl game?

It was at Raymond James Stadium. But still not a great bowl. I rank our bowl games under Clawson like this.

1. Gator (one of the oldest and probably in the tier right after the NY6)

2. Belk/Dukes Mayo (P5 opponent, one of the ACC’s longest continuous bowl tie-ins)

3. Pinstripe (P5 opponent, unique location)

4. Military (Clawson’s first Wake bowl, beat a ranked team, only time Wake has ever beaten a ranked team in a bowl game)

5. Gasparilla (P5 opponent, NFL stadium, cool non corporate name)

6. Birmingham (less than exciting location and opponent)

Good point about Clawson never having to sustain a winning program— he always moved on. This is why I have said that Clawson always wanted to move on to a bigger program and never intended to be a lifer here. He never quite had the resume to pull that off, and this year sealed it.

Lol, so Clawson hasn't proven himself because he didn't stay at Bowling Green for 10 years ?

Back