• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

Think about the millions that have been poured into both revenue sports wrt facilities in the past 4-5 years. Well over $100M!!

And yet here we are. My future contributions, aside from Deacon Club dues, are going directly to NIL. Buildings are clearly NOT the answer at this time.
Yeah facilities do not matter in recruiting battles anymore. That money could've been spent on jimmies and joes.

Tabacca should have been gone long before this point. Even his better lines with a couple NFL players would typically get worked against any above-mediocre front 7s.

Clawson openly questioned our blocking technique in his ND post-game presser. He said it's absurd that we cannot gain a yard. He also openly questioned if we are allowing defenders to get under our pads on the OL and referenced our technique that is being taught.

When your boss starts openly asking why the most basic tasks are not being accomplished, you are on thin ice.

What are the chances Clawson lets go some Assistant Coaches? QBs and Offensive line maybe. Will we shitcan the slow mesh and revamp the offense? Our head coach has some real tough decisions to make. Painful ones. Clawson has shown he is capable of that in the past.
Warren Ruggiero, Wake's Offensive coordinator, is also QB coach. I don't see him being let go. Wake has a lot of time and effort invested in the current offense. I don't think it gets jettisoned quickly.

Maybe Clawson decides to go a different way with the O-line. This year Wake has one of the least capable lines in Clawson’s tenure. There seem to be multiple guys who haven't developed sufficiently. Maybe,once the guys who stayed because they got the Covid year are gone, the O-line development will look better. Cohesion on the O-line is probably more important than in any other position group. Guys come in as a class, develop together and then play together. Covid disrupted the sequence.

I still think the O-line needs a talent infusion from the portal. There are two rJr and two rSr other O-line roster. Only three start. One of those is a first year starter, seemingly from longevity mire than anything else. Maybe the three classes of young guys will be ready and play better. I dunno.

the coaching staff's track record is pretty positive with QBs. i'm choosing to believe griffis was just an outlier aberration. practice correlates with game time most of the time and griffis was just the exception and the staff got overconfident based on their previous success. granted, it doesn't excuse the shitty recruiting, but i'm not pessimistic about our ability to recover at qb.

i think WR is a different story, would not be surprised if the new guy gets the can. maybe higgins even decides to come back to the field and take his old position back.

Yeah facilities do not matter in recruiting battles anymore. That money could've been spent on jimmies and joes.
14f.jpg

Ruggiero should be let go. Either you can’t recruit good QBs, develop the QBs we have or run an offense with the pieces we have in place. If you can’t do any of those things then what can you do as an offensive coordinator/QB coach?
But he has done that in ten plus years

Ruggiero should be let go. Either you can’t recruit good QBs, develop the QBs we have or run an offense with the pieces we have in place. If you can’t do any of those things then what can you do as an offensive coordinator/QB coach?
Who do you propose hiring?

FWIW, when Brian Kelly was at ND, he offered to double Ruggiero's salary to leave WF for ND, and Ruggiero turned it down.

Ruggiero has had a terrible year, but I believe he was OC when WF had its four most productive years in WF history. He isn't Warren Hemphill without a history of success.

This is an inane take man.

We were 18th in the nation last year in PPG and 30th in YPG.
In 2021 we were 4th in PPG and 11th in YPG.
In 2020 we were 19th in PPG and 28th in YPG.

If you want to say that's all Sam Hartman, then fine, but I don't think that's a fair assessment.

He created an offense that nobody has really run before to elite success for Wake Forest on the offensive side of things. If we'd had a pulse any of the last 3 years on the defensive side of things then we could easily be looking at three straight 9-10 win seasons. Wanting him to be fired because of a down year this year (and it's been really down, no disagreements there) is just absurd in my mind.

Apparently NIL $$ is already trending toward natural "slotting" for certain positions and their star-rankings, much like signing bonuses for the MLB draft. So at some point assuming Wake is able to offer NIL within those ranges, then facilities will still be important as something to differentiate amongst others offering similar $$.
NIL and facilities aside, the biggest area IMO that Wake has lost a recruiting advantage is in the value of a WFU education. It used to be that a Wake degree in any major had a level of prestige in the business and professional world that a non-NFL graduate could parlay into a nice career. And while a Wake footballer who majored in say accounting or biology will likely still get an extra degree of respect in grad school admissions and hiring, not sure if that's the case for some other majors that for whatever reasons athletes gravitate to. And I may be wrong on that (and hope so), but in general I don't think the academic side of being an athlete carries the gravitas that it used to at Wake or anywhere else outside perhaps the Ivy League..

Facilities still matter - Cold hard cash in the players pockets matters more right now but to completely dismiss facilities is dumb and shortsighted, imo.

Plus this doesn't even take into account that the folks cutting the big checks for the facilities are willing to invest the same $$$'s into NIL.

Wake's NIL collective could take the next step if more keyboard jockeys on 247 and ogboards begin donating (or increased donations) to RTQ.

Lulz - Just started following Wake football this season, Timmay?

Not sure I’d go that far on facilities. The nice thing there is while the players take NIL money and then will be gone after a couple years, the facilities are still there - so it’s at least a more durable (if not as impactful) return.

Wow, ok.

1. Yes, the slow mesh was a boon for us before, but either other teams have figured out how to stop it or we are unable to put the parts in place to make it work. Nothing this season worked on offense. I dont know our offense rank (Edit 107th and 116th), but currently we are sitting with Vandy and FIU in yards per game and FIU and UTEP for points per game.
2. If the problem is the offensive line, then how will we fix that this off season? 3 transfers? The other option is a new offense that works better with the parts that we do have.
3. If the problem is that we don't have a QB who can run our offense, then whose fault is that? We have heard multiple times this season that we have had to cut down/simplify/ dumb down the playbook for our quarterbacks this season, and now we expect a Transfer is just going to come in and be able to run our offense in August the way we did previously?
4. If you don't want say Hartman was the reason for our offense before, then what other explanation do you have from going from 2nd highest scoring offense in the conference to dead last? Everyone thought this would be a down year, but we have cratered and were unable to do anything to change that.
5. Clawson doesn't ask me for hiring decisions anymore unfortunately.

College football is a what have you done for me lately industry. Our staff went into this season totally unprepared. 5-7 isn't terrible if you're competitive, but we have barely been competitive all season. As I said above, Ruggiero appears unable to recruit or develop a QB that can run his offense, and appears unable to put in place an offense that works with what he has. If he is unable to do those things going forward, then what can he do?

No, he probably wont be fired, but man this season has been terrible and it has been terrible for our offense across the board.

Last edited:
Not sure I’d go that far on facilities. The nice thing there is while the players take NIL money and then will be gone after a couple years, the facilities are still there - so it’s at least a more durable (if not as impactful) return.
More so meant it doesn't matter to players when you compare NIL to state of the art facility. Facilities are very useful for development of our athletes, but many high school athletes on visits are thinking about the now. Of course our facilities are impressive but how many top notch recruits has it gotten us?

Facilities still matter - Cold hard cash in the players pockets matters more right now but to completely dismiss facilities is dumb and shortsighted, imo.

Plus this doesn't even take into account that the folks cutting the big checks for the facilities are willing to invest the same $$$'s into NIL.

Wake's NIL collective could take the next step if more keyboard jockeys on 247 and ogboards begin donating (or increased donations) to RTQ.
I said the facilities do not matter in recruiting battles. Facilities impress recruits for sure, but in a battle between several schools that are offering significant NIL packages? Don't think the nicer facilities win out (unless you're comparing Elon to UGA). Facilities are very important to the development of our athletes. But if someone is cutting a player a nice check, cool facilities won't win most of the time. Unless of course if the money is the exact same, other things carry more weight (education, facilities etc). Then again, I've never been involved in a recruiting battle so what do I know. I do know we have some amazing facilities yet we're still losing out on recruits.

Last edited:
As I said above, Ruggiero appears unable to recruit or develop a QB that can run his offense, and appears unable to put in place an offense that works with what he has. If he is unable to do those things going forward, then what can he do?

No, he probably wont be fired, but man this season has been terrible and it has been terrible for our offense across the board.
Ruggiero has been the OC since 2014. So, he recruited (or at least was involved in the recruitment of) Jamie Newman and Sam Hartman. Also, Jon Wolford was recruited by Grobe, but Wolford evolved into an incredibly efficient college QB with Ruggiero as OC. When Wolford was out, the offense ran reasonably well with Kendall Hinton as QB. That's a lot of different types (Wolford, Hartman, Newman, Hinton) of QBs that thrived under Ruggiero.

No one is defending the QB play for the 2023 season, but in the previous six seasons, WF's offense recruited and developed strong QBs. Ruggiero deserves to be called out for 2023, but to claim that he is unable to ever recruit and/or develop a QB that can run his offense when WF just played a team QB'd by the most prolific QB, who developed under Ruggiero, in ACC history is unimaginably off-base.

Back