• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

What percentage of posts made by TheAbster reference the fact that he makes contributions? 70%? 80%?

I stated I'm giving to NIL and not buildings in the future. If that's too difficult to comprehend, I don't know what to tell ya. But, if you want to be a miserable prick, proceed.

Ruggiero has been the OC since 2014. So, he recruited (or at least was involved in the recruitment of) Jamie Newman and Sam Hartman. Also, Jon Wolford was recruited by Grobe, but Wolford evolved into an incredibly efficient college QB with Ruggiero as OC. When Wolford was out, the offense ran reasonably well with Kendall Hinton as QB. That's a lot of different types (Wolford, Hartman, Newman, Hinton) of QBs that thrived under Ruggiero.

No one is defending the QB play for the 2023 season, but in the previous six seasons, WF's offense recruited and developed strong QBs. Ruggiero deserves to be called out for 2023, but to claim that he is unable to ever recruit and/or develop a QB that can run his offense when WF just played a team QB'd by the most prolific QB, who developed under Ruggiero, in ACC history is unimaginably off-base.
Why do all messages board conversations have to devolve into a debate on semantics. The entire post was about the post Sam Hartman world we find ourselves in, not about the past, So why would you take that as me saying he was never able to do it?

If instead I said in the last 4 years it appears as if Ruggiero has been unable to recruit a QB or develop any of the ones he recruited after Sam enough to effectively run his offense, would that be better?

I said the facilities do not matter in recruiting battles. Facilities impress recruits for sure, but in a battle between several schools that are offering significant NIL packages? Don't think the nicer facilities win out (unless you're comparing Elon to UGA). Facilities are very important to the development of our athletes. But if someone is cutting a player a nice check, cool facilities won't win most of the time. Unless of course if the money is the exact same, other things carry more weight (education, facilities etc). Then again, I've never been involved in a recruiting battle so what do I know. I do know we have some amazing facilities yet we're still losing out on recruits.

I’m more concerned that we have amazing facilities yet our athletes are losing games due to lack of preparation, lack of endurance, or they’re completely outmatched across all Fall sports.

I’m more concerned that we have amazing facilities yet our athletes are losing games due to lack of preparation, lack of endurance, or they’re completely outmatched across all Fall sports.
Perhaps we need some new members of the coaching staffs that can maximize the effectiveness of these facilities.

Sam Hartman and Jamie Newman QB'd WF in the last 4 years; so, I guess you mean why hasn't WF recruited/develop a QB after Hartman/Newman? The obvious answer is that WF misevaluated Mitch Griffis.

If the coaching staff foresaw what the offense was going to look like this year, Billy Edwards might still be at WF, and/or a QB would have been a transfer portal priority. In retrospect, the eval of Griffis was a mistake; you can keep slamming that issue with a sledgehammer, but no one outside of maybe the Griffis' family debates that.

If you want Ruggiero fired because he (and apparently every other coach on the staff) erroneously felt like Griffis would be a solid QB1 in 2023 (and 2024, maybe even 2025), and that eval played into WF's recruiting/transfer portal philosophy, but as bad as the eval was, don't think the misevaluation justifies firing the OC of WF's best offenses in history. As for Kern and Marucci not playing at power conference level as Mitch's backups, they are two guys that were fine playing behind Mitch and elected to not transfer. That's the type of QBs that stay these days when there's a clear #1.

Ok, let’s keep it going then. Run it back again. Misevaluations, mistaken priorities, QBs who can’t play at conference level. I’m for it my man.

Ok, let’s keep it going then. Run it back again. Misevaluations, mistaken priorities, QBs who can’t play at conference level. I’m for it my man.
What indication do you have that Clawson (or Ruggiero) are content with just running it back?

The past matters for both context for this year and as evidence that the coaches are capable. However, the 2nd half of last year and this season are concerning. Can the staff correct or is this a trend - that’s the question.

Why are you being this way?

Looking at the overall viewpoint of what Clawson and Rug have done is incredibly useful for predicting future performance.

Nobody thinks the Griffis evaluation was good at all. We all agree there. There's nothing that I have seen or read that indicates Clawson or Rug are content with the way this year has gone. Clawson himself has said he needs to reevaluate several different things with the offense in the last week and a half.

We will find out next year if this year was a blip in the radar, or an actual trend. So far, the history indicates that this year was the fluke and not the prior 10 years.

I don't think Ruggerio should be fired. That being said, its not just Griffis' recruitment that is an issue. The staff apparently does not have any confidence in any QB on the roster besides Kern and Griffis. They recruited Marucci and Gilliam, but clearly didn't feel comfortable playing either one of them, even when Gilliam would not have lost a redshirt by playing. That is a multi-year strikeout on QBs (based upon Kern's performance, in encapsulates every recruiting class from 2019 until now. Even if the explanation is that Gilliam is going to be great but was not ready this year (which is not something I have heard so far), we are still looking at striking out on QBs on the 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 recruiting classes.

I’m saying there should be professional consequences for this season. It wasn’t just one mistake, there were mistakes everywhere. It wasn’t just Mitch, but an entire QB room that is lacking in ability. Our entire offense has taken several steps back and has shown 0 improvement over the course of the season. We seem even more lost now. That is all the responsibility of the coordinator. Now, if you believe that his prior body of work prevents him from having to face consequences for this season that is fine. I think we are seeing a downward trend in our offense and it will likely take more than a transfer portal QB to fix.

And yes at this point when people seem to be purposefully misconstruing my point, I’m being a little flippant.

those are just nicer ways to say they have dudes and we don't

I mean Timmy you said ruggiero should be let go and when people pushed back you were like “wow you guys are arguing semantics”

Nobody was misconstruing your point

What we should have heard from our stalwart reporters….for the tenth practice, the defense dominated the offense. And begs the question. Why didn’t we read/hear that.

I mean Timmy you said ruggiero should be let go and when people pushed back you were like “wow you guys are arguing semantics”

Nobody was misconstruing your point
If instead I said in the last 4 years it appears as if Ruggiero has been unable to recruit a QB or develop any of the ones he recruited after Sam enough to effectively run his offense, would that be better?

Sam Hartman and Jamie Newman QB'd WF in the last 4 years; so, I guess you mean why hasn't WF recruited/develop a QB after Hartman/Newman?

I don't think Ruggerio should be fired. That being said, its not just Griffis' recruitment that is an issue. The staff apparently does not have any confidence in any QB on the roster besides Kern and Griffis. They recruited Marucci and Gilliam, but clearly didn't feel comfortable playing either one of them, even when Gilliam would not have lost a redshirt by playing. That is a multi-year strikeout on QBs (based upon Kern's performance, in encapsulates every recruiting class from 2019 until now. Even if the explanation is that Gilliam is going to be great but was not ready this year (which is not something I have heard so far), we are still looking at striking out on QBs on the 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 recruiting classes.
Covid created a log jam in the QB room. Guys who should have been closer to graduation still have years of eligibility. Hence two QB recruits, Billy Edwards and Brett Griffis chose to leave. Edwards is a bigger QB (6-3, 205). Brett is bigger than his brother (6-0, 197).

Maybe you don't remember, but it has been reported that Gilliam just isn't ready. He was not an early enrollees, so he only had 4th string reps during summer camp. And he was injured part of that time. So, ready he is not.

In addition being bad is one thing. Never improving over a season is something else. In fact it got worse. That is the main factor to me. End of season looking for a ray of hope. It’s quite remarkable.

In addition being bad is one thing. Never improving over a season is something else. In fact it got worse. That is the main factor to me. End of season looking for a ray of hope. It’s quite remarkable.
Agreed, that is worrisome

Covid created a log jam in the QB room. Guys who should have been closer to graduation still have years of eligibility. Hence two QB recruits, Billy Edwards and Brett Griffis chose to leave. Edwards is a bigger QB (6-3, 205). Brett is bigger than his brother (6-0, 197).

Maybe you don't remember, but it has been reported that Gilliam just isn't ready. He was not an early enrollees, so he only had 4th string reps during summer camp. And he was injured part of that time. So, ready he is not.

How do we know he wasn’t ready? Griffiis wasn’t ready.

Facilities still matter - Cold hard cash in the players pockets matters more right now but to completely dismiss facilities is dumb and shortsighted, imo.

Plus this doesn't even take into account that the folks cutting the big checks for the facilities are willing to invest the same $$$'s into NIL.

Wake's NIL collective could take the next step if more keyboard jockeys on 247 and ogboards begin donating (or increased donations) to RTQ.
There are 71 register OGBoards posters online right now.

If just 1/3 of those joined at $10/month, we'd see a solid increase in total memberships.

Back