• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

QB and Kicker - disastrous.

Griffis looks EVEN WORSE if Vandy had a competent cornerback. After Mustapha's nice INT run back, money Mitch just turned and threw the ball right to the Vandy CB, who luckily dropped it. We still win, I think, but that was the first time I went "hmmmm...that's really, really bad in this particular situation. We nearly got a pick 6, and then immediately nearly handed them a pick 6. WTF?"

I stopped watching after Duke debacle - since it is/was pathetic to hear Clawson lament everything.

I mean, what do you want him to say? Nothing at all?

When a team is bad, there's not much you can do as a head coach other than take responsibility, which he did. A lot of this year was clearly his fault - I thought he was refreshing in his honesty. I certainly wouldn't call it "pathetic".

I mean, what do you want him to say? Nothing at all?

When a team is bad, there's not much you can do as a head coach other than take responsibility, which he did. A lot of this year was clearly his fault - I thought he was refreshing in his honesty. I certainly wouldn't call it "pathetic".
The doom and gloom about NIL is frustrating after he’s gotten basic everything he’s asked for at Wake. Need new facilities? He got great ones. Need laxer admissions requirements? Done. Need more money to hold onto assistants? Here it is.

To me, he's clearly using the platform to play the long game of advocating for himself/Wake for this off-season, and also point out how dumb the whole thing is.

To me, he's clearly using the platform to play the long game of advocating for himself/Wake for this off-season, and also point out how dumb the whole thing is.
I hope so because most of the time to me he just sounds defeated and like we’re screwed.

By total QBR (probably the best single metric for QB play):

Griffis: 35.0
Marucci*: 57.9
Kern**: 60.6

*Marucci is only from the Pitt game
**Kern is based on a weighted average of the four games he played in

Here's the overall ACC standings: https://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr/_/group/1
This contrast is astonishing considering this includes Mitch's games against 3 cupcakes and Kerns game against Notre Dame

ACC wins over Clawson’s tenure (10 years):

Clemson - 70
FSU - 48
Pitt - 47
Miami - 46
NC State - 44
Louisville - 44
UNC - 43
VT - 42
GT - 36
Virginia - 31
BC - 30
Wake - 30
Duke - 29
Syracuse - 24

And our fans wanted to build a statue for this guy.

I hope so because most of the time to me he just sounds defeated and like we’re screwed.

I don't disagree with that but the fact that he came out swinging last week about the ND love affair with Sam made me have some hope he's trying and isn't going to mail it in. We're not set up to compete in this NIL/Portal world as an institution no matter who our coach is- period.

Don't see the defeated Clawson at all. He's pissed about a lot of things, particularly about his own performance, and NIL is certainly included, but I didn't see any give up in him.

Clawson can do whatever the hell he wants at this point. He's in his mid-fifties, his kids are grown, and thanks to WF, he has banked more money then he would otherwise spend. So, if he was defeated, he and Ms. Claw could buy a couple of homes in desirable locations, relax, travel, explore his "foodie" hobby and live the easy life. He's not doing that. He's determined to figure this out, and given his track record, think he will.

People see whatever they want to see, but his actions scream that he's staying in the game. Wouldn't bet against him.

Don't see the defeated Clawson at all. He's pissed about a lot of things, particularly about his own performance, and NIL is certainly included, but I didn't see any give up in him.

Clawson can do whatever the hell he wants at this point. He's in his mid-fifties, his kids are grown, and thanks to WF, he has banked more money then he would otherwise spend. So, if he was defeated, he and Ms. Claw could buy a couple of homes in desirable locations, relax, travel, explore his "foodie" hobby and live the easy life. He's not doing that. He's determined to figure this out, and given his track record, think he will.

People see whatever they want to see, but his actions scream that he's staying in the game. Wouldn't bet against him.
very much this. . . . ☝️

Let me preface this by reiterating that I'm big time #ClawsIN. His track record doesn't really support this current situation. He's in uncharted territory here. He's built programs into winners everywhere he's been, but he hasn't maintained a program long term. That's different, and IMO much harder. I think and certainly hope that he can figure it out, but we don't know that yet.

It's part of why after the Grobe-Arkansas deal shook out, I wasn't afraid of coaches getting poached anymore. Take the buyout money and bring in someone hungry.

I think a rebuild at a new place is different than a re-rebuild at a place you’ve been too.

In the former, you’re the shiny new object that can change things around and you get a recruiting halo for a period. In the latter, it’s your mess you’re trying to turn around and you may or may not get the benefit of the doubt.

Back