• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

In addition to NIL, I think Dave is going to be forced to re-think his approach in several areas and that likely leads to some substantial changes in both personnel and approach going forward. To pull this off, again, no coach will be safe as new and fresh ideas may need to be brought in. I think the slow mesh has run its course and if his OC is not willing to adapt... well ... then time for a new one. And so on.

The problem is that I'm not sure Dave has it in his DNA or personality to do this. Hope I'm proven wrong and eat these words when we're headed to the Orange Bowl. But, he is going to have to do far more than some tweaking.

Let me preface this by reiterating that I'm big time #ClawsIN. His track record doesn't really support this current situation. He's in uncharted territory here. He's built programs into winners everywhere he's been, but he hasn't maintained a program long term. That's different, and IMO much harder. I think and certainly hope that he can figure it out, but we don't know that yet.

It's part of why after the Grobe-Arkansas deal shook out, I wasn't afraid of coaches getting poached anymore. Take the buyout money and bring in someone hungry.
All coaches are in somewhat uncharted territory. "NIL" payments to players didn't exist (at least not formally and above the table). Now they do for everybody. Some places have done better at this and are better funded than others.

Instant eligibility of transfers is also new. Guys who thought they were close to playing time/starting but coaches didn't agree had to stay or know they wouldn't play for a year if they transferred. Now, guys can transfer and be eligible to play immediately. Desire for instant gratification leads to transfers and instant eligibility of guys coaching staffs want to continue developing but don't feel are ready.

These two changes have massively shifted the paradigm that leads to success in football. Clawson has been "under resourced" in the NIL game. He may also be "under resourced" in scouting players of other teams to identify potential incoming transfers. More analysts and video assistants needed.

I also wonder whether the recruiting algorithm that Wake has been using to identify HS players for Wake has been properly updated to account for these massive changes.

In addition to NIL, I think Dave is going to be forced to re-think his approach in several areas and that likely leads to some substantial changes in both personnel and approach going forward. To pull this off, again, no coach will be safe as new and fresh ideas may need to be brought in. I think the slow mesh has run its course and if his OC is not willing to adapt... well ... then time for a new one. And so on.

The problem is that I'm not sure Dave has it in his DNA or personality to do this. Hope I'm proven wrong and eat these words when we're headed to the Orange Bowl. But, he is going to have to do far more than some tweaking.
I mean, if he's been able to change programs when he's come in, I don't think it's unlikely that he can step back, reassess his own program and then go at it like he would a new place.

That's my hope any way.

Maybe he will completely overhaul the offense to something new w/ Rug in the off-season and it will be a new look for everybody up against us.

The redshirting philosophy probably needs to go the way of the corded phone though given the transfer numbers across the country.

Let me preface this by reiterating that I'm big time #ClawsIN. His track record doesn't really support this current situation. He's in uncharted territory here. He's built programs into winners everywhere he's been, but he hasn't maintained a program long term. That's different, and IMO much harder. I think and certainly hope that he can figure it out, but we don't know that yet.

It's part of why after the Grobe-Arkansas deal shook out, I wasn't afraid of coaches getting poached anymore. Take the buyout money and bring in someone hungry.

The sign of a good program is your coach getting poached for a better job or the NFL. It's the nature of the business, and you're better off with buyout money. Generally speaking, Wake is going to be better off being the hot stepping stone job every 4-5 years with the new young up and comer and innovative offense, especially in this new era of college football where everyone's lifespan is shorter. That being said, I'm also a big Clawson fan and he's smart enough to right the ship here.

I mean, if he's been able to change programs when he's come in, I don't think it's unlikely that he can step back, reassess his own program and then go at it like he would a new place.

That's my hope any way.

Maybe he will completely overhaul the offense to something new w/ Rug in the off-season and it will be a new look for everybody up against us.

The redshirting philosophy probably needs to go the way of the corded phone though given the transfer numbers across the country.
Not so fast on that completely. Good O-line guys have not been plentiful in the portal. That appears to be one position where red shirting and development still occur.

D-line guys, on the other hand, seem to be available in the portal.

Wake needs to adopt Howie Roseman's approach. Best O-line, best D-line, great QB. Fill in the rest.

I mean, what do you want him to say? Nothing at all?

When a team is bad, there's not much you can do as a head coach other than take responsibility, which he did. A lot of this year was clearly his fault - I thought he was refreshing in his honesty. I certainly wouldn't call it "pathetic".
Sad, pitiful, beaten down, pathetic, weak, sorry, god-awful, we had GAMES where 3rd down automatically meant "time to punt after the statue of liberty sack or throw directly into the ground."

So yeah, I am a little pissed off. Will cool down once we get the Reid waiver!

You can embrace the portal/NIL and still have some elements of redshirting/development- it's not a binary system. Wake is still going to need to redshirt/develop 75% of our guys. Other than KW9, whose departure has really "screwed us" in the portal era? It was clear all along 2022 was Sam's last campaign- if Coaching staff either didn't recruit, develop, or portal shop the next QB- that's on them. On the other side, the portal has allowed us to get the following guys who were critical on making 2021 possible- Miles Fox, Christian Turner, Donald Stewart, Luiji Vilain. We also picked up Terrence Davis a 4 star OL from MD but he got hurt. Vilain for example was rated 36th player in the country out of high school. Highest rated recruit we'll probably ever get. We also picked up Kobie Turner, Malik, Jacob Roberts- the later 2 probably our best players on defense not named Jasheen Davis this past season.

So yeah, I am a little pissed off. Will cool down once we get the Reid waiver!

It's going to be part of OGBoards lore when the waiver gets granted, and then he goes three games without accumulating a stat...

we'll all just pretend we never talked about him saving us.

I think a rebuild at a new place is different than a re-rebuild at a place you’ve been too.

In the former, you’re the shiny new object that can change things around and you get a recruiting halo for a period. In the latter, it’s your mess you’re trying to turn around and you may or may not get the benefit of the doubt.
I don't think a rebuild will be that hard tbh. Just get the qb situation right and this would have been a typical Dave Clawson year at Wake

True. But they've missed on that QB after Hartman for seven years.

The Grobe Administration wasn't perfect- but they didn't have many misses at QB. Zac Taylor, Ben Mauk, and Brett Hodges all transferred and were at a minimum G5 starters elsewhere with huge numbers. Tyler Cameron didn't exactly light it up but career worked out in other ways.

The Grobe Administration wasn't perfect- but they didn't have many misses at QB. Zac Taylor, Ben Mauk, and Brett Hodges all transferred and were at a minimum G5 starters elsewhere with huge numbers. Tyler Cameron didn't exactly light it up but career worked out in other ways.
Tyler Cameron has probably spent more time on prime time tv than any other Wake football player.

Grobe's run at QB was solid. QB play wasn't ideal, but it wasn't the problem. Several backups went to start elsewhere. He didn't waste much time on players who didn't work out.

Look for Dave to possibly move on and we have to start over. Before he took us to countless bowl championship games we couldn’t get out of our own way.

One would think that the DFL finish might light a fire under him to fix things at Wake.

He knows he screwed up this season.

Back