• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

Well yeah but you can still actually be worse than that. You can be over 6ft and have a nice throwing motion and can’t play a lick. And that’s where we are and a big reason we aren’t winning many games.

I sat next to Griffis at church a few weeks ago and he was a nice kid so I guess I’m gonna defend him. Same church as Clawson btw. Maybe that’s why Clawson trusts him.
Nice kid does not equal P5 QB

The most indicting thing to me is that I'm starting to lose interest in Wake football. It's the same thing Saturday after Saturday (after Thursday). When things clearly and predictably need to change, and they don't, you start to question your investment in the whole thing.

Of course, we've all faced worse as Deac fans. Such is our plight.
It’s not even that we’re losing, we just look god awful and it’s hard to watch. Football is very easy to lose interest in. The stadium will be empty so no energy in the place. Other sports you have some variability and can pull off an upset once in a while, football is not like that (haven’t beat a top ten team in 80 years). Throw in all the commercials and it taking almost 4 hours to watch a game and it just isn’t worth it when we know Mitch at QB results in a loss.

It’s not even that we’re losing, we just look god awful and it’s hard to watch. Football is very easy to lose interest in. The stadium will be empty so no energy in the place. Other sports you have some variability and can pull off an upset once in a while, football is not like that (haven’t beat a top ten team in 80 years). Throw in all the commercials and it taking almost 4 hours to watch a game and it just isn’t worth it when we know Mitch at QB results in a loss.

But it’s worth the minimum 12 hours you’ve spent since the game incessantly posting on both boards about how much you don’t care.

When this thread resurfaced in January, I suggested that the results of this season would give the fans an indication of the strength of our football program. At this point in the season the jury is still out. If the Deacs can win two more games, qualify for a bowl and win it, Dave could be given the benefit of the doubt. A winning record and extended bowl participation streak would seem like a decent finish at this point of the season.

A losing record, especially given the circumstances of this season, will diminish Clawson's credibility. The offense has become the primary weakness of the team and is averaging 10 to eighteen points below any season in the past six years. It has looked worse than those results suggest and was unexpected by everyone, especially the coaching staff. The questions surrounding the choice and play of the QB aggravate the matter. Three more losses with the same QB will put a source of heat under the coach's seat.

I realize I’m snarky about bowl games and think they are overrated. But if we sneak out 2 wins with the same awful looking footbal we’ve had all year…does that somehow make any of this year better?

Actually…yeah. Does winning two more games just mask the disaster of a season it’s been?
For most of the fanbase a record of 7-6 and another bowl game would feel a lot better. It would allow them to brag about winning seasons and eight straight bowl games. Clawson has sold that as a successful season to the fans and most have cheerfully bought it hook, line and sinker. To confirm this idea just consistently read the sports reports on godeacs.com. Never a discouraging word, no matter the facts of the matter. LOWF remains alive and well.

Actually…yeah. Does winning two more games just mask the disaster of a season it’s been?

For some fans, yes. Win two games and the story will be that Wake was 7-5 (3-5) with Hartman and 6-6 (3-5) in Clawson’s worst season so the only difference was playing ND. Clawson established a 6-6 floor so he’s the guy going forward. Mitch took a little while to get going but he should be a solid senior QB next year unless one of the young QBs (who they’ll certainly overrate until Clawson doesn’t play them) beats him out in the summer and fall.

And those fans will act all high and mighty if anybody points out how bad the season is.

For some fans, yes. Win two games and the story will be that Wake was 7-5 (3-5) with Hartman and 6-6 (3-5) in Clawson’s worst season so the only difference was playing ND. Clawson established a 6-6 floor so he’s the guy going forward. Mitch took a little while to get going but he should be a solid senior QB next year unless one of the young QBs (who they’ll certainly overrate until Clawson doesn’t play them) beats him out in the summer and fall.

And those fans will act all high and mighty if anybody points out how bad the season is.
So then yes @PhDeac i am asking if it’s better to lose 2 games than to win 2. And I believe it’s a legit question

I assume you didn’t tune into the Syracuse game last night
I know they’re awful but it seems like we always play poorly against them and I still don’t think we’ll beat State. 1 of 2 maybe but hard to see this team string together two more wins. I hope I’m wrong.

For most of the fanbase a record of 7-6 and another bowl game would feel a lot better. It would allow them to brag about winning seasons and eight straight bowl games. Clawson has sold that as a successful season to the fans and most have cheerfully bought it hook, line and sinker. To confirm this idea just consistently read the sports reports on godeacs.com. Never a discouraging word, no matter the facts of the matter. LOWF remains alive and well.
I mean there are never negative reports on any team's webpage.

I know they’re awful but it seems like we always play poorly against them and I still don’t think we’ll beat State. 1 of 2 maybe but hard to see this team string together two more wins. I hope I’m wrong.

Yeah I don’t think anyone thinks it’s likely, but maybe not all the way down to crazy. Hopefully State’s history of failing in Winston no matter what will continue.

If we can beat a bad NC State team in W-S and beat an awful Syracuse team in Babers’ swan song, it will be oh so sweet to travel to Annapolis for a bowl game on 12/27 !!!!
Beats the hell out of walking through the tunnel at 5:30 next week listening to “WOLF…PACK”

Which I acknowledge is a distinct possibility

Back