• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

My point is that Duke has been abysmal. Poor results, awful fan support and terrible facilities. They get a new coach. And they nearly win ten games and beat us twice in our coaches ninth and tenth seasons.

I love Dave. I'm not advocating for any changes. But on paper when Mike Elko came to Duke we had a lot more to offer recruits than Duke. Better facilities. Better recent success. Better fan support. Yet he came in and promptly beat us twice and has had very solid success. It should, at least, get our attention.
Make Elko is just a better HC than Clawson. I simply don’t understand this Duke narrative. It’s so played and just stupid.

In all seriousness good on Dave for owning it, not only today but the whole season. Feels like this rock bottom in the Clawson era. (And he feels that way too).
Problem I see is that it took him 9 weeks into the season to admit. Because of his earlier success he has earned the right to correct this debacle.

the Clawsons best friends since Dave began his coaching career live down the street from me. He and I have talked multiple times this season. He tells me every time it comes up that this season is killing coach internally. He isn’t Grobe.
Like everyone, I’ve been pissed at the play calling and personnel decisions all season. Now that he has owned it, I am back in on Coach. But he’s gotta make some winning moves. And soon.

Clawson presser was quite sad. A longing for a time passed in record fashion. I've been studying NIL at places like FSU. Their NIL erupted immediately and massively. Mark Cuban has invested in Merch deals on apparel across the country. FSU has one. FSU NIL erupted immediately and advertised on free content Warchant immediately. We were in WTF stages. FSU could buy every decent player on our team. The Deacon Club has been impressive for our size. We have out raised NC State on occasion. I believe Currie was slow on the draw here. We were months behind here. And their should have been more truth. Sam Hartman has our blessing. Really? Stop it. Sam HARTMAN got a bag and we couldn't compete. We need to look in the mirror. I think there is a lot of wishing and hoping these realities aren't real. We are stare at at get in the game or get out. And to tell you the truth I don't know which is the right path.

We most likely will never compete with football factories with NIL unless some kind of salary cap is instituted. Even some of the wealthy SEC programs lament an inability to compete with the bottomless dollars of the Tex-ass schools. But Wake has to be able to compete in the ACC with the middle of the road school until things change to level the playing field some. We can do that. We have to do that. Being competitive in the ACC does not present a daunting task. We think we are so smart, lets figure it out.

Clawson keeps alluding to challenges in the NIL era. I don't know how much of that is just coach speak, or if he really thinks we are doomed with NIL.

I am not Clawson out, but his head and heart have to be 100% in on competing in the current landscape or we will plummet quickly.

I think the challenge he is referring to is that we used to be able to get 3* players and spend a few years developing them. Now, when we do that by the time we are ready to reap the benefit some other school is sweeping in with a big NIL check (which is clearly pay for play which is still technically not allowed). Without some sort of salary cap, we will end up being a glorified farm team for the bigger programs.

This season appears to have had multiple things go wrong. Clawson had a method of putting teams together that was optimized for the NCAA rules that were in place. Two big changes, the instant eligibility of transfer players and NIL, have had a major impact on his methodology.
He and staff now have to "re-recruit" the players on the team every year.

The Covid year had a massive impact on the staff being able to evaluate high school players. A lot of high schools didn't play or played abbreviated schedules. It can take multiple looks at a player, both in person and on tape to discern which guys have the potential to be ACC level starters. There appear to be recruiting missses with a number of players. When guys don't play games, it is much harder to evaluate how they will play.

The Covid year allowed some guys to stay at Wake longer than they otherwise could have. The NCAA has a very hard cap of 85 scholarships. For every guy who stayed an extra year, there is a high school player who didn't get a scholarship.

Recruiting 3* guys and developing them is an inexact activity. Some will meet or exceed expectations. Others will not. The more you start with in a class, the more likely it is you will have more playable guys in two or three years.

IMHO, the O-line is the area where the effects of the above are most obvious.
It doesn't have anybody playing who you can say with reasonable certainty that he will be playing on Sundays in the future. In previous seasons, Wake has had those guys.

Build great lines for success. They are half the guys out there. IMHO, next year's O-line needs to have at least three starters who have not played one full game for Wake Forest.

I think the challenge he is referring to is that we used to be able to get 3* players and spend a few years developing them. Now, when we do that by the time we are ready to reap the benefit some other school is sweeping in with a big NIL check (which is clearly pay for play which is still technically not allowed). Without some sort of salary cap, we will end up being a glorified farm team for the bigger programs.
But this hasn’t really happened. We’ve lost very few players to NIL.

But this hasn’t really happened. We’ve lost very few players to NIL.
Yes, but with 32 guys graduating this year, I think that’s about to change. Players are gonna be happy to get their Wake degrees and then use the rest of their eligibility elsewhere.

Yes, but with 32 guys graduating this year, I think that’s about to change. Players are gonna be happy to get their Wake degrees and then use the rest of their eligibility elsewhere.
I think that will be as much of an indictment on the present season as it is on NIL. Those guys may have just as easily left by simply transferring.

2 teams, one in the ACC and the other in the NFL, and approximately one hour apart with height challenged QB1's, seem to have this same problem. :(
Well, maybe I’m stupid ( been accused of that many times), but it seems to me an offensive scheme that requires the QB to be within a few yards of the line of scrimmage throwing the ball when that is the read, a taller QB would almost be a necessity given the lineman on both sides are typicalls 6’ 3” or taller. Last week against Duke they showed some camera angles behind the line on some replays and poor Mitch looked like he was standing in a thick redwood forest trying to throw the ball in between the trees. Even Sam in my opinion was on the small side to be running a heavy slow mesh offense. Based on measurements, Newman was the perfect QB in that system. Granted guys like that don’t grow on trees, but I watch a ton of college football including G5 games and it amazes me how many start QB‘s that are at least 6’ 2” and our tallest QB on our roster is listed at 6’2”. Look, good football players come in a lot of different sizes, but sometimes I wonder if our approach of looking for the guy that is “overlooked” because he’s a few inches shorter or 20 pounds lighter or a step slower, but looks good on film against High School competition gets us in trouble. Maybe sometimes take the guy that is already 300lbs, or is 6’4” and see if he can be coached up instead of beefed up or schemed up to make up for a lack of height???

Well, maybe I’m stupid ( been accused of that many times), but it seems to me an offensive scheme that requires the QB to be within a few yards of the line of scrimmage throwing the ball when that is the read, a taller QB would almost be a necessity given the lineman on both sides are typicalls 6’ 3” or taller. Last week against Duke they showed some camera angles behind the line on some replays and poor Mitch looked like he was standing in a thick redwood forest trying to throw the ball in between the trees. Even Sam in my opinion was on the small side to be running a heavy slow mesh offense. Based on measurements, Newman was the perfect QB in that system. Granted guys like that don’t grow on trees, but I watch a ton of college football including G5 games and it amazes me how many start QB‘s that are at least 6’ 2” and our tallest QB on our roster is listed at 6’2”. Look, good football players come in a lot of different sizes, but sometimes I wonder if our approach of looking for the guy that is “overlooked” because he’s a few inches shorter or 20 pounds lighter or a step slower, but looks good on film against High School competition gets us in trouble. Maybe sometimes take the guy that is already 300lbs, or is 6’4” and see if he can be coached up instead of beefed up or schemed up to make up for a lack of height???
NIL could honestly help us on the recruiting side. I almost guarantee we have more $$$ to offer than the schools we are typically battling for recruits.

NIL could honestly help us on the recruiting side. I almost guarantee we have more $$$ to offer than the schools we are typically battling for recruits.
Yeah, it could, but the problem I’m afraid is when that player has success here, schools with deeper pockets will poach them. If the NCAA is concerned at all with a level playing field, caps are going to have to be in place.

Yesterday is the most I've ever been impressed with Clawson. It takes a big man to openly own your mistakes and one line in general in which Clawson admitted he had put the program on cruise control was brutally honest and humble.

I had lost faith in the man in his continual starting of Mitch but I've regained that faith that he'll get the program back on track next year. Reminded me of the Tebow press conference at Florida after losing two games.

Clawson knows the game is different now and I'm convinced he'll adjust his approach. Brighter days ahead my fellow Deacs!

Yesterday is the most I've ever been impressed with Clawson. It takes a big man to openly own your mistakes and one line in general in which Clawson admitted he had put the program on cruise control was brutally honest and humble.

I had lost faith in the man in his continual starting of Mitch but I've regained that faith that he'll get the program back on track next year. Reminded me of the Tebow press conference at Florida after losing two games.

Clawson knows the game is different now and I'm convinced he'll adjust his approach. Brighter days ahead my fellow Deacs!

I mean, what did you think he'd say after a complete quit from all parties yesterday? This season has been a major embarrassment. Easily could have lost to odu. Should have lost to Pitt. We've been atrocious all season. You get paid millions a year to man up and fix things. It's clear to everyone that we've lost our way. Proof will be in the pudding. I'm here for it. I give him a very long leash

I mean, what did you think he'd say after a complete quit from all parties yesterday? This season has been a major embarrassment. Easily could have lost to odu. Should have lost to Pitt. We've been atrocious all season. You get paid millions a year to man up and fix things. It's clear to everyone that we've lost our way. Proof will be in the pudding. I'm here for it. I give him a very long leash
Yeah totally get that sentiment.

I hesitate to give anyone a very long leash. He def needs to back up his words with actions next year. In my mind, if there's not improvement next year, then you have that conversation.... And Clawson knows that. He hasn't been afraid to move on from coordinators and he knows Currey doesn't settle like Wellman did

Back