• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

David Glenn on 99.9 Sports Talk Radio

one4theroad

Reaction score
Said there are no bright coaching stars among mid-majors that have any interest in coaching WFU's Men's Basketball Team. Rather depressing.

Last edited:
Proofreading, dude. Proofreading.

I'm assuming you meant to say that there are either "few" or "no" bright coaching stars among mid-majors interested in the Wake job. Either way, who gives a fuck what that blowhard DG says? He relishes the fact that we're a dumpster fire right now.

He's an idiot. 90+% (many of the others are too old to move) of mid-major would walk over broken glass to coach at Wake. He's always been a douche.

I like DG, only popular talk radio person who actually includes Wake in the discussion.

I was listening too and this is a bit out of context. He just said that Shaka and Marshall are revered at their current places and make a lot of money so it might take a doubling of salary for them to consider.

Also, his topic of the day earlier this week is if Wake fans were justified in their reaction. He went on a long chat about how it was a bad hire to begin with and how there's no way Wellman could look a loyal Wake fan in the face and tell them Bz deserves another year.

Well, TITSWF's take is much different than the OP's.

He had a valid point. Why would a coach making big money in a mid-major with lifetime security leave for a position where you could be cooked after 4-5 years if your team doesn't perform. There may be a guy out there like that. . . But not many. . . So the Shakas and Marshall's of the world ain't coming here.

He had a valid point. Why would a coach making big money in a mid-major with lifetime security leave for a position where you could be cooked after 4-5 years if your team doesn't perform.

Because some like a challenge. Many coast. The selection effect at Wake (it's a challenge) may work to our advantage, at least initially -- because, as we've seen, some who relish a challenge initially later coast.

Glenn also mentioned Dean Smith as a possibility...said Dean's forgotten more about the college game than bzzy has ever known and said something to the effect that Deano would be able to block his Carolina days from his memory.

If Wellman were willing to open up the checkbook we could get Shaka or Marshall. Wellman won't be willing to do that. I'm sure the fans of Ron will say he approached them, just like they say he approached Stevens, but if he does it won't be with a serious offer. Start looking at the guys we could get for $1.5 million or less.

He had a valid point. Why would a coach making big money in a mid-major with lifetime security leave for a position where you could be cooked after 4-5 years if your team doesn't perform. There may be a guy out there like that. . . But not many. . . So the Shakas and Marshall's of the world ain't coming here.

College basketball coaches, with the exception of Bz, are largely insanely competitive. I guarantee you Gregg Marshall doesn't dream of coaching at fucking Wichita State the rest of his life.

Marshall and Smart are likely long shots. I think most recognize that.

Marshall and Smart are likely long shots. I think most recognize that.

I can still dream about it, though... Who knows, maybe Ron is the evil genius that he thinks he is after all!

WRS and CL are both right. Doesn't hurt to try.

I like DG, only popular talk radio person who actually includes Wake in the discussion.

I was listening too and this is a bit out of context. He just said that Shaka and Marshall are revered at their current places and make a lot of money so it might take a doubling of salary for them to consider.

my god...you can't possibly be saying that some of our fans took a quote of context, are you???

No one knows if Marshall or Shaka will agree to take the Wake job, but there are legit reasons why they may.

First, let's acknowledge that neither of them are likely to retire at their current programs.

Let's focus on Marshall. Keep in mind that he is 51, so his next move is likely his last one.

1. The Wake job allows Marshall to raise his kids near his family. Marshall was born in Greenwood, South Carolina and went to high school in Cave Springs, Virginia. Draw a line between those two points and it passes through Winston-Salem.

2. Marshall loves the idea of being a head coach in the ACC. Of the ACC jobs in his home region in the Carolina's and Virginia. He's already turned down NC State and is unlikely to be offered the position again, UVa's job likely will not open up for years, and UNC and Duke will almost certainly look to hire other candidates. That leaves Wake, Clemson and VT as possible destinations. Wake is clearly the best basketball school of those three. So if Marshall wants an ACC job in his home region, the Wake job very well may be his best remaining option.

3. Compared to his current job, Marshall will increase his pay and tv exposure. He will also have access to a higher level of recruit.

A Marshall hire would be fantastic for many reasons. I can see him taking this job if offered, though I doubt it will happen. He's too in-your-face for Ronnie.

Back