• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

David Glenn on 99.9 Sports Talk Radio

The guy is a fucking moron. Any mid-major coach would die for a crack at the big time. I can't take this seriously.

DG puts wake in discussion and over estimates them if anything. To act like Shaka and Marshall aren't in great postings is absurd. I could see born staying where they are because they are almost guaranteed a shot at the ncaa tourney ever year. For an athletic program that has been decent at best over the past 8 years, DG offers a lot of coverage and credit. I can't imagine any one replacing him who would be less of a Duke, UNC, State blow hard.

I think that Ron has to help empty the bank. Why? Because the Joel is empty and Wake needs a big name to walk through the door. Especially since we now own a empty building and a withering fan base. He can not afford to be cheap in this hire.

He had a valid point. Why would a coach making big money in a mid-major with lifetime security leave for a position where you could be cooked after 4-5 years if your team doesn't perform. There may be a guy out there like that. . . But not many. . . So the Shakas and Marshall's of the world ain't coming here.

They will if you offer them 4-5 mil a year. Insane money yes, but drastic times call for drastic measures. Sigh one of them, no matter the cost.

No one knows if Marshall or Shaka will agree to take the Wake job, but there are legit reasons why they may.

First, let's acknowledge that neither of them are likely to retire at their current programs.

Let's focus on Marshall. Keep in mind that he is 51, so his next move is likely his last one.

1. The Wake job allows Marshall to raise his kids near his family. Marshall was born in Greenwood, South Carolina and went to high school in Cave Springs, Virginia. Draw a line between those two points and it passes through Winston-Salem.

2. Marshall loves the idea of being a head coach in the ACC. Of the ACC jobs in his home region in the Carolina's and Virginia. He's already turned down NC State and is unlikely to be offered the position again, UVa's job likely will not open up for years, and UNC and Duke will almost certainly look to hire other candidates. That leaves Wake, Clemson and VT as possible destinations. Wake is clearly the best basketball school of those three. So if Marshall wants an ACC job in his home region, the Wake job very well may be his best remaining option.

3. Compared to his current job, Marshall will increase his pay and tv exposure. He will also have access to a higher level of recruit.

Don't coaches at big name schools in big time conferences get endorsement deals and other independent sources of income?

I have no doubt that David Glenn jacks off to the sound of his own voice.

RW should toss his plump salary in the deal -- he owes us for destroying our flagship program.

They will if you offer them 4-5 mil a year. Insane money yes, but drastic times call for drastic measures. Sigh one of them, no matter the cost.

I agree. How big of a donation are you willing to make?

I like DG, only popular talk radio person who actually includes Wake in the discussion.

I was listening too and this is a bit out of context. He just said that Shaka and Marshall are revered at their current places and make a lot of money so it might take a doubling of salary for them to consider.

I don't understand why doubling their salary would be a problem. We have the money. Plus we need to fill seats. Just consider this. We currently are hosting about 4k-6k actual bodies each home game. At a lowball price of $20 profit per body (ticket, concessions, parking, apparel) that is around 100k per game. With a big time coach we would be looking at double that. We play around 16-18 home games each year. That is 1.7m in additional revenue we have to gain by bringing in a big time coach.

We need to pay Shaka or pay Marshall we will win. We will fill the seats. We will sell more apparel. Wellman is so short sighted. Basketball isn't like football. If we pay a great coach we will make lots of money.

And since K and Roy are getting up in years, those flagship programs may flounder on their next hire (see Doherty). This is an opportunity for another program to become "the next big thing." This hire is too important to go cheap. Too important to trust to Wellman who may either be cheap or bring in another Bz.

When his prediction comes true, the dwarves will howl, then whimper, like a dying dog in a dusty, litter filled road kill ditch.

When his prediction comes true, the dwarves will howl, then whimper, like a dying dog in a dusty, litter filled road kill ditch.

While his prediction may come true, it is based on lazy thinking. He hasn't really looked at the situation to see why Wake's job opening might be attractive to these particular coaches. That's the only thing that bothers me about it.

If he turns out to be right, it's not because has any great insight into the situation. He guessed and got lucky. He's already guaranteed to be half right since we can't hire both Shaka and Marshall.

Back