• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

David Stern makes fun of Ron Wellman (Indirectly)

zqglass

Reaction score
Was just watching the Bucks v. Heat game and Mr. Commissioner was being interviewed near the end of the 3rd quarter. He was asked about what he thought about Brandon Jennings going overseas for a year then coming over to the NBA instead of going to college for that year. Basically Stern responded "they can go overseas, to the D-League, or go to college for a year. if the colleges have a problem with "one and done's" then they can quit allowing players that are planning to leave early to attend, and see what happens to the college president who has the nerve to adopt that rule"

Ron Wellman sir, you are the laughing stock of not only the NCAA, but now the NBA. YOU ARROGANT JACKASS.

If the NBA's employment rule was challenged in court would it stand? Not sure they could prove harm in allowing 18 year olds to work in that type job. Any EEOC lawyers out there?

I thought Stern was the one who came across as arrogant.

th

If the NBA's employment rule was challenged in court would it stand? Not sure they could prove harm in allowing 18 year olds to work in that type job. Any EEOC lawyers out there?

I have to agree. Stern has a point that colleges have to deal with the policy but he sounds self-serving. But I think the rule is stupid. Let the Lebrons of this world just jump to the NBA and you don't have all the Wellmans of the world with their panties in a knot.

ADs and coaches had their panties in a knot when the best HS players would commit, tie up a scholarship, then jump to the NBA. It was even worse for both college and pros when those players were busts. This was the fix and it's worked. College and pro know what they're getting.

ADs and coaches had their panties in a knot when the best HS players would commit, tie up a scholarship, then jump to the NBA. It was even worse for both college and pros when those players were busts. This was the fix and it's worked. College and pro know what they're getting.

I can't argue with that.

I just wonder if another Ed O'Bannon brings a suit how will it play out in the courts.

I'm not sure how it's different than an employer requiring a applicants to have a certain level of education to be hired.

I can't argue with that.

I just wonder if another Ed O'Bannon brings a suit how will it play out in the courts.

This entire process was started by Spencer Haywood. When he won the case, the rules were "hardship".

I'm not sure how it's different than an employer requiring a applicants to have a certain level of education to be hired.

That's a good point. But let's say a kid goes to Kentucky for his one year and takes the minimal course load, then plays the second semester, wins a national championship and never completes a class as he is lining up the agent and getting ready for the money to fall. What is the point? I don't get it.

They don't have to show harm, an employer can set whatever job requirements it wants so long as they are not in violation of any applicable anti-discrimination laws. In the context of age, the ADEA protects workers over 40 from being discriminated against strictly because of age, but as far as I know there are not any similar laws saying potential employees cant simply be told they are too young.

Originally, I was against players going directly to the NBA but now after seeing what it's done to College hoops, I hate it. Let them go so we can be done with the 1 and done era. I miss the days where you could remember who was on which team because they stay for 3-4 years and sometimes what felt like 5-6.

That's a good point. But let's say a kid goes to Kentucky for his one year and takes the minimal course load, then plays the second semester, wins a national championship and never completes a class as he is lining up the agent and getting ready for the money to fall. What is the point? I don't get it.

I don't get it either. 1 year makes very little difference for most players. I would like to see 2 year minimum just for the sake of the college game.

This rule isn't about the Lebrons. It's about the Nbudi Ebis and the James Langs. Think of how many Top 10 recruits would have gone pro, but didn't perform like a pro prospect in their first year of college.

It's better for college and the NBA if the Kevin Durants play at least one year just like the James McAdoos.

I think Wellman knows the NCAA draft for high school kids is starting soon, and we're just prepping to win the lottery.

well said

Wasn't the rule approved by the player's union? I think that is important as well.

I would like something equivalent to baseball. Non binding draft. If you opt for college you stay 3 years.

Back