• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DC Restaurant recs for this weekend

ellisat2

Reaction score
Heading to DC this weekend

Looking for a spot for Saturday night

Wife wants a good place, cool atmosphere, have a good time, not $$$$$ but doesn't have to be cheap-cheap

Hit me with recommendations, rapido hombres, since I prolly need to make reservations

Thanks

ellis

Oh yeah, and lunch places, too. We're doing mostly touristy stuff, especially Saturday, so someplace around that area, but whatever places y'all think we should hit, let me know.

Little Serow. They don't take reservations but one of the best spots in town right now. Aweso,e take on Thai food but you gotta like it spicy. They don't take reservations but open at 530 so get in line early and if you don't get in the first seating they'll take your number and text you when it's ready. Might not be the best option but it's such a great place.

Corduroy is great for modern American. Rasika is possibly the best Indian in the country. Zaytinya has awesome Mediterranean small plates. Central for awesome French bistro and upscale comfort food. Vidalia for upscale Southern. Blue Duck Tavern is great too.

Last edited:
Second Corduroy. So awesome. Barely got a 6PM res for the 15th though. Bar upstairs has $30 prix frixe though if money is a real issue.

Vidalia is amazing too but won't come cheap.

Ate at Maggiano's on Wisconsin Ave last weekend fun place

Had lunch at PJ Clarke's on 16th right up from Lafayette Park/White House. expensive

Last edited:
Two quick recs on my side of town (northeast/Capitol Hill).

Matchbox is on the cheaper side of places mentioned here but it's a good date spot and delicious. Granville Moore's on H St is a really cool place with absolutely fantastic mussels. Bistro Bis is probably the best of the upscale restaurants on this half of town.

Really depends on what part of the city you're going to be staying. You really don't want to have to deal with Metro anymore than absolutely necessary and its silly to take a cab to a restaurant. Do you know where you'll be?

Most places in DC are overpriced, but you'll find a few gems in every neighborhood.

If she is a top chef fan I'd recommend graffiato's. It might be a little pricey but its one of the more memorable meals that I've had.

Ate at Maggiano's on Wisconsin Ave last weekend fun place

Had lunch at PJ Clarke's on 16th right up from Lafayette Park/White House. expensive

You can go to a Maggianos in any city in the country. Meh. Matchbox is good but will have a long wait. Ditto Granville Moores, though it is terrific.

You can go to a Maggianos in any city in the country. Meh. Matchbox is good but will have a long wait. Ditto Granville Moores, though it is terrific.

:eek: Had never been to one, didn't know that. I was there for a family thing. scratch that

Granville Moores is really hit or miss in my experience. The last few times I've been there they didn't have the entrees I wanted nor the first 3 beers I ordered. And the place gets hella crowded and the wait can be 2 hours. But if you are content with just Mussels for dinner, they are outstanding.

After Maggianos, make sure you hit Joe's Crab Shack for DC's finest seafood.

Granville Moores is really hit or miss in my experience. The last few times I've been there they didn't have the entrees I wanted nor the first 3 beers I ordered. And the place gets hella crowded and the wait can be 2 hours. But if you are content with just Mussels for dinner, they are outstanding.

I've actually only gotten mussels there, and have little reason to switch it up.

I've actually only gotten mussels there, and have little reason to switch it up.

Well then I can understand why you like it. As much as I like mussels, and particularly their's, I don't like just having mussels for dinner. I like to split a pot with people and have an actual entree, which is where Granville stumbles.

Founding Farmers on Penn. a few blocks from the White House is always a hit with the wife. Farm-to-table concept. Also, Brasserie Beck on K Street is popular as well. Recommend reservations at both though.

the air and space cafe tag does remind me that if you're on the Mall around lunchtime, the cafe at the American Indian Museum is actually pretty good.

The Air and Space tag also reminds me that we once took a bus tour of the sights with some out-of-town guests. One of the recommendations our tour guide offered during the tour was that the cafe at the Holocaust Museum is great. Seemed like an odd comment.

Founding Farmers on Penn. a few blocks from the White House is always a hit with the wife. Farm-to-table concept. Also, Brasserie Beck on K Street is popular as well. Recommend reservations at both though.

I've heard Founding Farmers has gone way down hill. I guess it could be a fine spot for brunch, but I doubt you could reservations for this weekend.

Cashion's Eat Place and Mintwood Place in Adams Morgan would fit your criteria. Also, Pearl Dive Oyster Palace near Logan Circle could work.

Zaytinya has already been mentioned, but I'll add Jose Andres' other two places, Oyamel and Jaleo. I guess these are safer picks, but I've always been pretty happy with my meals at these places.

Back