• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DC with a kid Recs

IamThunderbolt

Reaction score
For his 10th birthday in lieu of presents/party, my oldest son asked for a father/son weekend in DC.

Have the days filled with Smithsonian, Capitol tour, monuments, etc., (a weekend isn't nearly enough time to really see DC) but was wondering if there were any fun local restaurants a 10 year old might enjoy.

He'll really appreciate Komi. Does he like sweetbreads?

For real - We were there in the spring with our 11 year old. We didn't go to any "fun" restaurants, but we took him to a french restaurant and the Army / Navy Club. He enjoyed both, but you probably won't be able to get into A/N without a service connection.

Astro doughnuts and fried chicken has some interesting donut flavors that I'm sure a 10 year old would like.

Ben's Chili Bowl?

Oooh! When I was there in 2015, I went to Ray's Hell Burger. He'll probably like that.

Union Station has a bunch of places to eat and he might like seeing all the people and hearing the trains called. There's a place (I think it's called Firefly) that gives kids a cookie to decorate.

Ben's Chili Bowl is a dive, but lots of famous people have eaten there and it's down and dirty.

Is there a Hard Rock in DC?

Last edited:
oh, or go to adams morgan and get a jumbo slice. who doesn't like a piece of pizza the size of a pizza?

Matchbox for pizza, Ted's Bulletin for American diner food plus homemade pop tarts. Founding Farmers. Thomas Sweet in Georgetown for ice cream sundaes. &Pizza for a quick lunch.

If gets tired of museums, the zoo is really good.

Matchbox for pizza, Ted's Bulletin for American diner food plus homemade pop tarts. Founding Farmers. Thomas Sweet in Georgetown for ice cream sundaes. &Pizza for a quick lunch.

If gets tired of museums, the zoo is really good.

You know where all the little kids hang out

If you are out west near Dulles airport off route 28 you can't beat the Udvar Hazy Air and Space museum. Smithsonian so you only pay to park (believe thats free after 4 PM w 6 PM close time)

Tons of flying vehicles from experimental to famous. SR 71 blackbird, Enola Gay and Space Shuttle... Discovery?? To name a few of the more famous.

My dad took me to DC when I was ten. He called our state rep and he hooked us up with a sweet tour of the Capitol by one of his staffers. That was pre-9/11, so it's probably less lax, but maybe worth an email.

Wheaton Station escalator

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

If you are out west near Dulles airport off route 28 you can't beat the Udvar Hazy Air and Space museum. Smithsonian so you only pay to park (believe thats free after 4 PM w 6 PM close time)

Tons of flying vehicles from experimental to famous. SR 71 blackbird, Enola Gay and Space Shuttle... Discovery?? To name a few of the more famous.

finally did this last weekend. standing under and looking up at Discovery is incredible.

My dad took me to DC when I was ten. He called our state rep and he hooked us up with a sweet tour of the Capitol by one of his staffers. That was pre-9/11, so it's probably less lax, but maybe worth an email.

Have that planned (which meant a nice email to Mark Walker). We drove up this afternoon.
Hitting the mall/monuments tomorrow morning, Capitol tour @ 1:30. Mall/museums afternoon. Zoo Saturday morning. and we'll see from there.

saying at an AirBnB in LaDroit Park

We did the Air and Space museum out by Dulles with him when we have a 7 hour layover on the way back from Ethiopian when he was 5.

Get breakfast/coffee at the Royal. (5th and Florida NW) Right there in LeDroit Park. The best Ethiopian is a couple blocks away at Zenebech Injera. (Florida and T St NW) What kind of food do y'all like/want to try?

Tomorrow is going to be perfect weather-wise, enjoy! Welcome to the 'hood!

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

He's a pretty adventurous eater, but not a huge fan of hamburgers, etc.

We'll definitely hit up Zenebech Injera. Founding Farmers looks good. We can walk to Ben's Chili Bowl - so that might be a good quick dinner.

Thinking District taco for lunch tomorrow?

Astro doughnut sounds like something he'd enjoy - but would I be waiting in line for 45 minutes for a doughnut?

Skip Founding Farmers, especially if you don't like waiting in line. Ben's Chili Bowl is an experience, but the best half smoke is at Boundary Stone Pub (1st and Rhode Island NW). Meats and Foods is at 3rd and Florida is a glorified indoor hotdog stand but also damn good.

If you're near the Capitol at lunch, I would go with the American Indian museum food court, it's supposedly pretty good. I also have a soft spot for Pete's Diner (2nd and Penn SE, I think?).

I've haven't been in years, but eating at the House office buildings' food court would also be an experience. I think it's in the basement of Longworth House office building? Anyone can go, you just go through security at the visitor's entrance.

Can't speak to Astro doughnut. District Taco is fine, but nothing special.

Back