• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacs vs ULM Game thread! 8/28/14 @ 7:00pm - ESPNU

Not really. He wasn't terrible, but he did a bad job of dealing with the pressure.

Plenty of blame to go around on O- bad formations, bad playcalling, failure to prepare the kids to recognize certain formations on D, failure by Wolford to understand where the pressure was coming from and failure to get through his progressions, horrible job by the OL, horrible job by the WR of getting separation.

I think you watched a different game than me. I thought given zero protection, Wolford consistently hung in the pocket, and even stepped up into pressure. He has zero weapons and no protection, yet he managed to fit some nice tight throws into nothing. What exactly are you expecting?

Did we have any pass attempts to the RB? Wouldn't it make sense to get your speed guy out in space in the flats? Wasn't he originally a WR? Wouldn't that slow the blitz?

On the bright side, this game will be immortalized in an upcoming Duck Dynasty episode. :eek:

O/U 3.5

# of offensive TDs we score in games besides Gardner-Webb

Mocks no think before he type.

The worst part is that he provides "practice reports", so he has supposedly been watching this shit show at practice and really thought we were going to step out on the field and dominate.

Wolford did a hell of a job behind a very bad o-line.

If I hadn't know we had a brand new staff I would never have guessed it tonight. Felt like every other Wake game I've watched for the last five+ years.

Did we have any pass attempts to the RB? Wouldn't it make sense to get your speed guy out in space in the flats? Wasn't he originally a WR? Wouldn't that slow the blitz?

Agree with this. Wolford needs a safety valve out there.

Agree with this. Wolford needs a safety valve out there.

Yeah but if they can get to the QB almost instantly with a 4 man rush (if they even needed that), that leaves the LBs to cover the RB no matter where he goes.. I don't think it's quite as simple as "send your speedy RB out to the flats"..

The worst part is that he provides "practice reports", so he has supposedly been watching this shit show at practice and really thought we were going to step out on the field and dominate.

He also played college ball at Marshall, so Mocks knows football, just ask him. If you've ever seen him you'll also know he's an expert on physical fitness, so you when he says our guys are specimens you can take that to the bank.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah but if they can get to the QB almost instantly with a 4 man rush (if they even needed that), that leaves the LBs to cover the RB no matter where he goes.. I don't think it's quite as simple as "send your speedy RB out to the flats"..

Give Reynolds or a TE a chance to beat a LB in a one on one situation.

I'm 100% Clawson In, but this is one of the worst college football teams I've ever seen.

Yeah, the running plays were really, really, really slow to develop.

This was my only real beef with the playcalling. Way too much lateral movement that required Reynolds to turn and dance to find a hole that didn't exist. He had a few good runs where he danced into space, but his style of play with those types of playcalls isn't going to be effective over the course of a game.

I thought we were setting up the keeper all game, but we only used it maybe once. Wolford looks like a good runner. We need to get him into space and give the defense something else to worry about. They could just tie up the WRs with their secondary, pin their ears back to rush Wolford to defend the run.

I'd like to see Ruggiero try harder to add in some swing passes and definitely run quicker developing north/south running plays.

The other thing I really want to know is why we didn't stay in punt block in the 2nd half. It became blatantly obvious our offense wasn't going to score without considerable help and that help wasn't going to come from the return game. ULM's punter was pretty good. I couldn't believe we just sat back playing for the return all those times ULM was kicking from near the middle of the field. When the offense clearly isn't going to go down the field and score, there isn't a ton of difference between getting the ball downed inside the 5 or caught on the 10.

Lol, bad job of dealing with the pressure? We're not talking about evading 1, or even 2 guys getting through from time to time, we're talking about 4-5 guys consistently swarming him from all sides nearly untouched. How the fuck are you supposed to deal with that kind of pressure?

lol. hint. the pressure was from everywhere. Hard to go through your progressions when the line gives you .4 seconds to get rid of the ball.

A qb has to 1) make sure the team is in the right play pre-snap to deal with pressure; b) be able to get rid of the ball to avoid pressure; and c) understand where the likely pressure will be and then move away from it.

Wolford had more than one play where he screwed up at least one of those 3 things. He also had plays where h had no chance.

and definitely run quicker developing north/south running plays.

I sort of assumed we were calling them and there was simply no hole opened because our line blows monkey nuts.

Come on. This is so LOWF. If you expected to put up that kind of offensive performance against ULM, then I feel sorry for you as a fan. Or maybe I'm just too optimistic. By no means did I think a win was in any way guaranteed, but that was absolutely pathetic. I do not know how an offense could have looked worse other than turnovers. At least some of that reflects on coaching.

Bullshit. Give me a fucking break. You can't call LOWF any time your expectations aren't met. The fan part of me didn't expect this offensive performance, but the rational part of me did. Seriously, did you see the spring game? We have zero weapons. Zero. Our offense looked almost as bad last year with the best receiver in school history. What exactly were you expecting with Matt James at the #1 guy?

Again, I think we can contend and win an ACC championship in three or four years. In fact, I fully expect to. But not this year. That's not LOWF, that's being realistic.

I'll say that there was a stark contrast between the way Wolford handled the pressure in the first quarter and the way he handled it later on. He had a couple nice scrambles early on, and he didn't really ever try to go back to that well in the second half. Of course, it's probably exhausting to have to deal with 4 bad guys in the backfield on every down, so who am I to talk?

And yeah, the running game seemed to take a bit to develop in-play, but I think that feeling was exaggerated by just how quickly ULM was getting penetration. At the end of the night, it all goes back to that. When Wolford had time, he looked generally brilliant. When Orville had the (one, literally one) chance in the open field, he looked like a human pinball machine.

I don't think I'd fix the line by moving Helms back to C, only because I think Terry is probably the most interesting player we have on that line, and I thought he was the only bright spot for that unit tonight.

Back