• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dean Smith Gives $200 to Every Player He Coached

Don't paint me as a Carolina apologist, but I never understood the "JR Can't Reid" stuff. Both of his parents were school teachers. Anybody who followed his career and saw him in later life knew he wasn't a dummy and the whole thing pissed Dean off pretty bad too. I get that it's kinda catchy though.

http://www.lostlettermen.com/article/part-two-5-1-duke-carolinas-ugliest-moments

Meh. Dean was a massive whiner.

This story makes me laugh- because most of the tar hole fan base is made up of disgusting, foul mouthed, dirty rednecks who, IF they could find their way to Chapel Hill and IF they could afford to buy a ticket to an actual game instead of sharing cable with the trailer park so they could watch on their stolen 1990's style big screen, he would have heard and seen insults just as mean spirited as this.

Dean whined. Dean complained. And I am absolutely certain the cheating scandal started under his watch. Yes, he championed some great causes and did some admirable things to promote racial equality, but he also benefited from most of the causes and people he stood up for.

I am over this whole Saint Dean movement. I think he probably softened after he retired, and there are some pretty cool stories floating around about him...but make no mistake- Dean Smith did what was needed to win basketball games and didn't mind breaking the rules and stepping on people to get there.

This story makes me laugh- because most of the tar hole fan base is made up of disgusting, foul mouthed, dirty rednecks who, IF they could find their way to Chapel Hill and IF they could afford to buy a ticket to an actual game instead of sharing cable with the trailer park so they could watch on their stolen 1990's style big screen, he would have heard and seen insults just as mean spirited as this.

Dean whined. Dean complained. And I am absolutely certain the cheating scandal started under his watch. Yes, he championed some great causes and did some admirable things to promote racial equality, but he also benefited from most of the causes and people he stood up for.

I am over this whole Saint Dean movement. I think he probably softened after he retired, and there are some pretty cool stories floating around about him...but make no mistake- Dean Smith did what was needed to win basketball games and didn't mind breaking the rules and stepping on people to get there.

I won't argue with any of that, but the JR Can't Reid stuff just smacked of elitism.

Didn't Dean make the point that JR had a higher SAT than Laettner?

Didn't Dean make the point that JR had a higher SAT than Laettner?

From Biff's post #13 which includes a link.

Duke fans heckled Reid throughout the game and Dean Smith did not take kindly to the sign which he saw as racially motivated. He responded to this action by stating that Reid and Scott Williams had higher combined SAT scores than Christian Laettner and Danny Ferry.

Translation: Scott Williams had a really god SAT score.

They'll use it on community college tuition to make up for the lost opportunity at UNC. #endlessjokes

Holy fucking shit! The post of the decade!

Rumor has it that K just amended his will to leave $201 to each of his former players.

Score one for the rat...

How big of a check did he leave Fred Heikel?

Agree with all of this. Dean would talk shit to opposing players during games, which crosses the line in my book. Great coach, great person off the court. Could've been a better person on the court.

Deano was absolutely a whiner and routinely yacked at opposing players. A good and decent man for the most part but a whiny bitch on the sidelines.

The media and fans made Jimmy V out to be a saint after his death. No surprise a decent man like Deano was given sainthood by the media/fans. death has a way of softening past transgressions.

well that didn't take long:

Inside the NCAA ‏@InsidetheNCAA 16m16 minutes ago
Contrary to inaccurate media reports, Dean Smith’s generous gift to former student-athletes is NOT an NCAA violation.

Don't paint me as a Carolina apologist, but I never understood the "JR Can't Reid" stuff. Both of his parents were school teachers. Anybody who followed his career and saw him in later life knew he wasn't a dummy and the whole thing pissed Dean off pretty bad too. I get that it's kinda catchy though.

There's your answer.

Dean was a great guy off the court and was a great coach if you were 1 of his guys. Count me as 1 who didn't like the way he handled himself on the court, but whatever.

While I think the media has unsurprisingly overplayed this $200 gift thing, I really like the gesture. It's not a lot of $$ or anything. But his players really did look up to him as a mentor not only while they were there but after they left. And unlike a certain someone a few miles down the road, I do think Deano gave his kids the best advice for them when they were considering going pro, as opposed to whether he had a replacement for them or not the next year and letting that influence his advice. I think this was a nice gesture to say to each of his players how much he thought of them, and now they can go out with friends or loved ones and remember him fondly.

And yes, the Reid stuff was way over the line, though not as bad as some of the shite Ewing had to put up with in opposing arenas around the same time.

how many comments on that tweet asking about fake classes?

I commented...just asked if fake classes were a violation.

Got a lot of tweet backs from the basic hole fans...everyone else does it, if you think your school doesn't, you're delusional, etc.

Back