• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dean Smith has died

I have a feeling theres not many 35+ year old guys on this board. Prayers are with his family, but he was such whining poor loser, and if we ever really knew all of the crooked things he did it would probably blow our minds. Like a poster said all that is going on now at that piss hole is in a big part because of Dean Smith. If you don't believe that then your really kidding yourself.

This x 1,000.

Fucking Millennials.

The goat propaganda machine, aided by the espn donks, is in predictable hyper-drive.

Truth will be the casualty here.

The goat propaganda machine, aided by the espn donks, is in predictable hyper-drive.

Roy was just on Mike and Mike. They talked about the "Carolina way" and Roy used the word "youngsters" no less than five times... :sick:

Man that is so true, I cant even watch ESPN anymore unless its strictly to watch games.

I have a feeling theres not many 35+ year old guys on this board. Prayers are with his family, but he was such whining poor loser, and if we ever really knew all of the crooked things he did it would probably blow our minds. Like a poster said all that is going on now at that piss hole is in a big part because of Dean Smith. If you don't believe that then your really kidding yourself.

Awful sickness, really hard on the family. Very sad.
But:
The above times 1,000,000 - the coach was a salty, whiny, bitter man - that felt like he could talk and direct the oppossing team's players during the games. And you think Duke gets calls? Then you were not around to watch the Tarheels in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. He is at the root of the academic scandal, but right now he is being protrayed as St. Dean.

Political activities[edit]

Smith was one of the most prominent Democrats in North Carolina politics. Politically, he was best known for promoting desegregation. In 1964, Smith joined a local pastor and a black North Carolina theology student to integrate The Pines, a Chapel Hill restaurant. He also integrated the Tar Heels basketball team by recruiting Charlie Scott as the university's first black scholarship athlete.[5] In 1965, Smith helped Howard Lee, a black graduate student at North Carolina, purchase a home in an all-white neighborhood.[9] He opposed the Vietnam War and, in the early 1980s, famously recorded radio spots to promote a freeze on nuclear weapons. He has been a prominent opponent of the death penalty. In 1998, he appeared at a clemency hearing for a death-row inmate and pointed at then-Governor Jim Hunt: "You're a murderer. And I'm a murderer. The death penalty makes us all murderers." As head coach, he periodically held North Carolina basketball practices in North Carolina prisons.[45]

While coach, he was recruited by some in the Democratic Party to run for the United States Senate against incumbent Jesse Helms. He declined. But in retirement, he continued to speak out on issues such as the war in Iraq, death penalty and gay rights.[45][46] Although a staunch Democrat, Smith did support one of his former players, Republican Richard Vinroot, for governor of North Carolina in 2000.[47][48] In 2006, Smith became the spokesperson for Devout Democrats, an inter-faith, grassroots political action committee designed to convince religious Americans to vote for Democrats. Smith was featured in an ad that ran in newspapers across North Carolina and was featured in an Associated Press article.[49] On October 13, 2008, he endorsed Senator Barack Obama's candidacy for President of the United States.[50]

Sounds like the opposite of Bob Knight.

Too lazy to look it up. People keep saying he's at the root of the academic scandal. Can I get some insight into that? Hadn't heard it before.

With those well-known all-time college basketball greats: Mike Giomi, Marty Simmons, Dan Dakich, Uwe Blab, and freshman Steve Alford.

Now that was coaching!

Ronald Reagan vs. Howard Dean on the hardwood, if you will.

Awful sickness, really hard on the family. Very sad.
But:
The above times 1,000,000 - the coach was a salty, whiny, bitter man - that felt like he could talk and direct the oppossing team's players during the games. And you think Duke gets calls? Then you were not around to watch the Tarheels in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. He is at the root of the academic scandal, but right now he is being protrayed as St. Dean.

Death equals deification. Valvano revisited.

Last edited:
so how do you remember that the Deacs were down 6 with 1:52 to play and Dean got the T when it was 83-82?

Being a Wake fan, I never liked him, but I sure always respected him and his coaching ability. I didn't like hearing about his declining health in recent years, and today I am sad to hear off his death. RIP Coach Smith, you are no longer in pain and will always be one of the all-time great basketball coaches.

Agree with deaclite.

Well said. People's shortcomings and failures are normally glossed over when someone passes away. I certainly hope mine are when my time comes.

I kept a daily diary during the last 18 months I was in the army. One of those old "Five Year Diarys" that you used to see in a little booklet. I made an entry at the end of each day. Later, I consolidated that into a much larger (7,680 total dated entries to date) more brief dairy on an excel spreadsheet. Here is the full entry from that day (Feb 5, 1970) that I made in that five-year diary when I got back to Fort Bragg that night: (I still have that original diary.)

Worked at G-2 until 1 PM. 4 of us left for Wake Forest at 3 PM. Ate in Sanford. Picked up sailordeac (actually his real name was here) at 5:45. Long lines at the Coliseum. Wake Forest lost the freshman game. Deacs led 43-30 at halftime. UNC went 6 points ahead with less than two minutes to go. Charlie Davis (41 points) led fantastic Wake Forest comeback. Technical foul on UNC coach Dean Smith at 82-83 led to 87-83 WF lead. Deacs won 88-85. Charlie Scott had 31 points for UNC. Gil McGregor had 18 rebounds & 17 points. We ate breakfast in Sanford at 2 AM. Got to bed at 3 AM. Wake Forest is now 11-6 with 4 straight wins.
[/B][/B]

yes I know you kept a diary. but did you bring it to the game with you to remember the exact moment we were down 6 or when Dean got the T? or do you just have a superior memory and wrote it down later?

Smith's illness was sadder than his death in many ways. He was pivotal in shaping the modern game as well as the legend of ACC basketball. More than that he used his position to promote racial equality. He deserves the honor he is receiving. Honor to whom honor is due.

I've got a damned good memory. One of the best you will ever find. I still remember the exact score (we got wasted, 71-45) of the very first WF game I ever attended....at Woolen Gym, way back on January 4th, 1958. :)

And anyway, do you think it would be unusual for someone to remember something from 10 PM until he could write it in a diary 5 hours later?

bkf, the way I remember the Dean Smith tech in that game is that it was brought on by a very close block charge call that went our way. As it was happening I thought the call would go UNC's way but we got the whistle. Smith was infuriated by the call and ran up to a ref with his hands to his neck making a choking sign. Of course, he was teed up for it and it seemed to swing the momentum our way. I recall that Smith making that sign to the ref brought about a league reprimand, or at least caused some controversy raised by the local media. Hope I'm not mixing up this game with some other. How's my memory holding up on this one bkf?

Back