• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dean Smith to Receive Presidential Medal of Freedom

I did, but I took all of that off in appreciation for the civil posting that has been going on over on the Fantrax thread. Hope you read my post about that over there.

I didn't. I assume it's deleted?

Dean Smith would be a great American if he hadn't coached at Carolina.

Does Bobby Knight have one of these? Doesn't he have a long list of political contributions?

Does Bobby Knight have one of these? Doesn't he have a long list of political contributions?

Yeah, but I think those contributions were to the American Nazi party. Not as popular as the Dem or Pub parties.

You're saying these people are not Wake grads/students?

Whoever thinks that dementia is funny is welcome to walk in my shoes for a day or two. Dealing with dementia in another for a period of time redefines your sense of self in ways that you can't imagine.

I hate UNC as much as anything, but Dean Smith should absolutely be respected for who he was on and off the court.

Nobody should be making fun of dementia at all. It's a horrible disease to see a family member go through. Obviously not a laughing matter.

Not something that should be joked about in any sense.

I have a lot of respect for Smith in many areas, but the praise he gets for being a "pioneer" in recruiting Charlie Scott is a bit overplayed. Fact is Lefty Driesel had already gotten a commitment from Scott to play at Davidson, but on a subsequent visit to the Davidson community some idiot at a small coffee shop or restaurant either refused or gave him minimal service, and Scott started getting cold feet about attending a small, almost all-white school in a small southern town. I have no idea if Smith started negative-recruiting against the Wildcats or if Scott had already bailed before UNC got involved, but the point is that in some ways Driesel was as much or more of a pioneer/trailblazer than Smith was.
And yes this is somewhat sour grapes, b/c growing up a Davidson fan I saw UNC and Scott take the Wildcats out in regional play two years in a row. With Scott on the roster, I think Davidson would have had a decent chance of unseating UCLA during his career.

I have a lot of respect for Smith in many areas, but the praise he gets for being a "pioneer" in recruiting Charlie Scott is a bit overplayed. Fact is Lefty Driesel had already gotten a commitment from Scott to play at Davidson, but on a subsequent visit to the Davidson community some idiot at a small coffee shop or restaurant either refused or gave him minimal service, and Scott started getting cold feet about attending a small, almost all-white school in a small southern town. I have no idea if Smith started negative-recruiting against the Wildcats or if Scott had already bailed before UNC got involved, but the point is that in some ways Driesel was as much or more of a pioneer/trailblazer than Smith was.
And yes this is somewhat sour grapes, b/c growing up a Davidson fan I saw UNC and Scott take the Wildcats out in regional play two years in a row. With Scott on the roster, I think Davidson would have had a decent chance of unseating UCLA during his career.

Scott and Maloy would have been formidable. Taking out UCLA would have been difficult, but it's definitely food for thought.

I actually met the guy who lost his spot because of the late signing of Scott. His name is Chip Stone. He was allowed to stay on scholarship as a freshman. Since he also played football, Smith arranged for him to get a football scholarship the next year. He also ended up lettering in baseball and soccer. He teaches at Leesville, High School in the Raleigh area.

I hate UNC as much as anything, but Dean Smith should absolutely be respected for who he was on and off the court.

Nobody should be making fun of dementia at all. It's a horrible disease to see a family member go through. Obviously not a laughing matter.

Not something that should be joked about in any sense.

Deano did great things, but he'll always be an asshole on the court to me.

"Move your feet Harder."

I'll take Dean Smith any day over that sociopathic POS Roy Williams.

I hated Dean on the court,and I loved it when Tacy beat him, but he is a good guy in his real non-coaching life.

I don't know if he deserves a Medal of Freedom from the President, though.

I picked the wrong Sunday to bag Sunday School. The teacher (a Hole alum) used Deano's "trailblazing" recruitment of Scott to make a point about how Jesus reached out to people who weren't accepted in society at the time. Too bad I wasn't there to give a shout-out to the original "left-leaning" coach, Lefty Driesel.

Back