• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deandre Martin Done for the Season at least

liveanddiedeac

Reaction score
http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wf...cle_612e2c38-514e-11e3-8923-0019bb30f31a.html

I know we all pretty much knew this, but thought I would post anyway. I guess the good news is, if he decides to do the right things, he's not officially off the team yet. I guess maybe it's because I don't follow any other teams closely enough to know, but this sort of thing seems to happen too much around here. I mean the responsibility ultimately falls on the individual to do the right things, but sometimes I wonder if we're giving them as much guidance as we could be.

This seems like a pattern with Grobe. Sounds like Wilhite is in the same boat. I wonder too if teams like Duke, Vandy, Stanford, Rice, have the same problems. Do we have to recruit these questionable kids to compete at the ACC level?

Well this I agree with Grobe on. If you don't go to class, weights, practice, or are late for everything you don't deserve to be on the field plain and simple.

ETA: if that's what message Grobe is trying to send.

Last edited:
Well this I agree with Grobe on. If you don't go to class, weights, practice, or are late for everything you don't deserve to be on the field plain and simple.

ETA: if that's what message Grobe is trying to send.

Yeah, I don't fault Grobe for doing this either, I just sometimes wonder why it appears to be such a pattern around here. However, like I said this might happen as much or more at other schools as well. I do watch a ton of college football and don't hear things like this mentioned that much, but like I said I don't follow anybody else like I do Wake.

So you're telling me a man who's been coaching for 38 years and been a D-1 head coach for 18 years can't motivate some of his most athletic and talented players to care about their careers enough to take care of "off field stuff". This has been happening more and more each year. Grobe should feel like a complete asshole when he's cashing checks from WFU. Part of your job as a HC is to be that guy that can change the psyche of kids straying from the right path. Skip had that quality, and I thought for a long time that Grobe had it too. Fuck being mediocre and having a coach/staff that could apparently give a shit less. Bring in someone else who will be spitting fire after every loss, and taking some responsibility for their performance. You know, those things that most Head Coaches do? I don't know when Jim quit caring about this program but I think we can all agree it's obvious he doesn't at this point...

So you're telling me a man who's been coaching for 38 years and been a D-1 head coach for 18 years can't motivate some of his most athletic and talented players to care about their careers enough to take care of "off field stuff". This has been happening more and more each year. Grobe should feel like a complete asshole when he's cashing checks from WFU. Part of your job as a HC is to be that guy that can change the psyche of kids straying from the right path. Skip had that quality, and I thought for a long time that Grobe had it too. Fuck being mediocre and having a coach/staff that could apparently give a shit less. Bring in someone else who will be spitting fire after every loss, and taking some responsibility for their performance. You know, those things that most Head Coaches do? I don't know when Jim quit caring about this program but I think we can all agree it's obvious he doesn't at this point...

Well, to defend Grobe a little bit here. zg, do you have kids? If so, do they always do what you tell them to do? Imagine having around 100 kids and getting them all to do what they supposed to do. However, as I stated, this type of thing seems to be happening too much around here.

Last edited:
No, it's probably worse at other places. Take a look at the list of 5* from 4 years ago and see how many are still playing at the school they signed with. Grobe was right about the egos. 2* and 3* players don't usually have the "I love me" syndrome that 5* divas do. They don't have the sense of entitlement. At Wake, they are humbled, in the past at least, either by upperclassmen or opponents. If that doesn't do it, the class work load will do it. With all of Martins tardiness, I'm surprised he isn't academically ineligible. Kids need babysitters, men get fired, players get punished by riding the pine.

Last edited:
Well, to defend Grobe a little bit here. zg, do you have kids? If so, do they always do what you tell them to do? Imagine having around 100 kids and getting them all to do what they supposed to do. However, as I stated, this type of thing seems to be happening too much around here.

To piggyback on that point, what more can a coach do to remind the player of the easy things like going to class/practice and on time than to repeatedly tell the kids (whether publicly or behind the scenes) who are acting up that they won't see the field or have a different form of punishment. These are simple things such as going to class, basics. That's strictly on the kid. Now getting players motivated for games weeek in week out is different, of which I think Grobe struggles.

Most parents don't recruit their kids when they're 16-18 years old.

Most parents don't recruit their kids when they're 16-18 years old.

Ph, I find myself agreeing with you more and more, but that is really kind of a dumb point. Parents get the advantage of raising their kids and hopefully instilling good values and morals in them, yet they still go astray. Coach's recruiting 16-18 year old's don't have that advantage. Do you really think a coach really knows what kind of person they're getting until you get them in the program? As an employer, I can tell you that you can interview people 100 times, but until they start working for you, you have no clue what you have.

Totally understand zq's point, and it has some validity. If there were an ounce of life in the program it would probably be easier to keep kids on the straight and narrow. Easy to succumb to distractions when there's not much to play for.

It would be great for Deandre and Grobe to get on the same page again. I always thought Deandre was our best running back and he could be that next year too.

Totally understand zq's point, and it has some validity. If there were an ounce of life in the program it would probably be easier to keep kids on the straight and narrow. Easy to succumb to distractions when there's not much to play for.

Maybe, but then it seems every bowl season you've got some story about some players getting suspended before the bowl game because they've violated team rules or something. I don't think there is any question though how lacking our program is for passion and life, which starts at the top.

On the Scout board, MocksvilleDeac posted the Martin worked hard in the offseason and preseason thinking he would be the starter and then when JRoc was reinstated, he got upset that JRoc was automatically put ahead of him. If true, I question that more than anything, because based on last year, I thought Martin was our best back coming into the season, even with JRoc.

Last edited:
Ph, I find myself agreeing with you more and more, but that is really kind of a dumb point. Parents get the advantage of raising their kids and hopefully instilling good values and morals in them, yet they still go astray. Coach's recruiting 16-18 year old's don't have that advantage. Do you really think a coach really knows what kind of person they're getting until you get them in the program? As an employer, I can tell you that you can interview people 100 times, but until they start working for you, you have no clue what you have.

Fair points, but there are a lot of coaches who deal with the same exact problem much better than Grobe.

Eh this is a pile of bullshit, imho.

Every coach, even the best coaches in the country, loses kids to crap like this. It's just a fact of coaching teenagers. You should also post some numbers on it "happening more and more every year." And Martin was a great talent - of course the coaching staff cares. He could have been running over people all year and been the difference in the ULM and Miami games, saving their jobs.

Yeah, I don't fault Grobe for doing this either, I just sometimes wonder why it appears to be such a pattern around here. However, like I said this might happen as much or more at other schools as well. I do watch a ton of college football and don't hear things like this mentioned that much, but like I said I don't follow anybody else like I do Wake.

You don't hear about it because those schools don't want you to hear about it. I'd speculate it happens everywhere, but it's swept under the rug.

Eh this is a pile of bullshit, imho.

Every coach, even the best coaches in the country, loses kids to crap like this. It's just a fact of coaching teenagers. You should also post some numbers on it "happening more and more every year." And Martin was a great talent - of course the coaching staff cares. He could have been running over people all year and been the difference in the ULM and Miami games, saving their jobs.

I read an article on Rolando McClain two weeks ago of which he admitted to blatantly cursing out the best football coach in the game right now (saban). Saban sat the kid for multiple games. I'm sure Grobe or anyone would do the same. And I think that might be worse or on par with what Deandre is doing. Your post reminded me of that story cause this happens everywhere it seems.

Fair points, but there are a lot of coaches who deal with the same exact problem much better than Grobe.

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at with Grobe. Is he and his staff dealing with these situations as well as possible. They're going to come up with any program, but are we seeing them too much here and can we do a better job of avoiding them? Apologies for calling your point "dumb," I really didn't need to put that in there.

Last edited:

As it relates to this article, I take great issue with Grobe. I know Camp is all world and was an impact player. I know tht losing an impact player is tough. However, Grobe basically says that he is clueless now without Camp? How do you not prepare or motivate your second stringers to step up (speaking strictly on the field issues)? OR how is a 30+ year veteran coach clueless after losing one important player.

Back