• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dear Shaka...

it's amazing how far we have fallen in such short time. Don't worry the next phase is coming soon.

The five phases of the death of Wake Forest bball.

1. Denial-I believe we are past this.
2. Anger-I think we are currently here and moving quickly over to
3. Bargaining-We will start being ok 17 wins.
4. Depression-We will look back often to our former teams and be depressed.
5. Acceptance-We accept that we are then a mediocre program.

Moving from VCU to Wake Forest would be a huge downgrade for Shaka, even if we could afford to pay him whatever he wants. Wake happens to be in a better conference, but wgaf when the NCAA Tournament is really all that matters. Shaka can go ahead and dominate the CAA like Memphis dominated C-USA under Calipari.

The Shaka interview in this week's SI makes it seem like there's zero chance he's leaving VCU.

As long as wake is in the acc and on tobacco road it is an enticing landing for a coach. Shaka values education. Didn't he go to oberlin? His half brother is a professor at Stanford.

We can't afford him until Dino's cash is off the books ot mostly off the books and we owe less on bzd buyout. Gotta hope he stays I Richmond another year ot two. I feat vcu will make another run to the sweet 16 and his agent will convince him that there is no better time than now to jump buy he could also be allowing rumors to leverage a little more coin for his assistants as grobe has done

Billy Donovan, Tom Izzo, and Bill Self all are in that range.

No. Way.

2.5 Mil Tops.

Anthony Grant and Oliver Purnell are making just shy of two million. Shaka will name his price, because someone will pay it.

Wake is not a step down from VCU. The regular season champ in the CAA won 26 or 27 games and is playing in the NIT. That's where VCU would be if they hadn't won their conference tourney.

As long as wake is in the acc and on tobacco road it is an enticing landing for a coach. Shaka values education. Didn't he go to oberlin? His half brother is a professor at Stanford.

We can't afford him until Dino's cash is off the books ot mostly off the books and we owe less on bzd buyout. Gotta hope he stays I Richmond another year ot two. I feat vcu will make another run to the sweet 16 and his agent will convince him that there is no better time than now to jump buy he could also be allowing rumors to leverage a little more coin for his assistants as grobe has done

Aren't we off the hook with Dino if he gets another HC this year?

Where would you guess Wake lands in athletic revenue nationally?

I'll give you a hint, there are more than 60 schools that generated more than us in 2011 (before you blame Bzz, that was just shy of 1% growth from 2010). There are plenty of schools who talk the talk about education. As we've seen, the ACC ain't what it used to be for coaches.

We simply could not afford the price tag for Shaka Smart. He will command more than maybe 3-4 coaches in the country.

http://www.ensbsn.com/2011/11/college-sports-revenue-2011-the-list/

The passion that Shaka showed after that tall, white dude's shot missed tonight. That energizes players. That makes players realize their coach is right there with them.

Jeff [Redacted] would have golf clapped (maybe) and then done the Eurkel Shuffle (but not in a fun way) to shake hands with Greg Marshall.

Passion is a good thing. Too bad the old, white big wig donors don't realize this at Wake Forest. Culture.

You're being unfair to Bzz. Its impossible to know what he would do after an NCAA tournament win. We'll just have to wait (and wait and wait and wait) and see how he reacts when it happens.

Why do people keep saying with certainty we don't have the money to pay a competitive salary? Wellman is the highest paid AD in the conference and Grobe is the second highest paid football coach in the conference. We also have an influx of new revenue coming in via expansion and the new TV contract. If we can already manage the contracts of both [Redacted] and Guadio then we should be able to also manage a third, much larger contract by using that new revenue.

If I'm Shaka I look at duke and Carolina and think that coach k has maybe 5 years left. They are going to dip when he retires and if I (shaka) am comfortably esconsed at wake it is possible I can leap frog duke. I'm not sure what my play is at Illinois. Izzo and beilein and Matta and what's his name at Indiana seem like they are going to be there a while. That could be fun too though but at wake he is potentially well leveraged when the legend retires

But I totally agree we can't afford him this year

Why do people keep saying with certainty we don't have the money to pay a competitive salary? Wellman is the highest paid AD in the conference and Grobe is the second highest paid football coach in the conference. We also have an influx of new revenue coming in via expansion and the new TV contract. If we can already manage the contracts of both [Redacted] and Guadio then we should be able to also manage a third, much larger contract by using that new revenue.

This argument doesn't make sense. A budget is a budget. You can't go $3 mil over budget. Now if you see $2 mil come off the books in a year then you start to see wiggle room. You can convince folks to go $1 mil over budget when you are currently under but if you are right at budget now ...

This argument doesn't make sense. A budget is a budget. You can't go $3 mil over budget. Now if you see $2 mil come off the books in a year then you start to see wiggle room. You can convince folks to go $1 mil over budget when you are currently under but if you are right at budget now ...

If you see an increase in revenue while expenses stay the same then you are under budget. Seems pretty simple/obvious to me.

I never said we couldn't pay a competitive salary, I just think that Smart will command an even higher premium than all of that combined (Dino, Bz, and Ron). If he landed in the ACC, he would immediately be the highest paid coach in the ACC, making basically K's salary plus Bz's.

Why do we always assume we are still paying Dino? I'm not sure that Dino got much of a buyout. Seems like we could've gotten that off the books promptly if the donors were really wanting him gone so much.

What's our balllpark guess for the buyout?

I never said we couldn't pay a competitive salary, I just think that Smart will command an even higher premium than all of that combined (Dino, Bz, and Ron). If he landed in the ACC, he would immediately be the highest paid coach in the ACC, making basically K's salary plus Bz's.

K's reported salary is 4.1 million a year. Bzz's is estimated at 1 million a year.

You're insane if you think that Shaka would get anywhere close to K's salary, much less the combined salary of K and Bzz. He will land somewhere making in the 2.5 range.

Supposedly the buyout was funded by donors, wasn't it? I think that's what Wellman said in his press conference, but Wellman said a lot of things in his press conference.

You're being unfair to Bzz. Its impossible to know what he would do after an NCAA tournament win. We'll just have to wait (and wait and wait and wait) and see how he reacts when it happens.

You could be Methuselah and still not be able to wait long enough for that to happen. I'll be shocked if Coach [Redacted] wins a NCAA tournament game in his entire coaching career.

Would you people quit saying the Big Donors paid to get Dino gone and will pay to buy a new coach. I am considered a big donor and have never been solicited to pay into any Dino buyout fund nor have any of my friends. That is not the way that Wake works. You actually are hurting your chances of getting a high priced coach by cutting your ticket purchases and donations because it puts a further crimp in the AD budget which hurts in your ability to pay salaries. With the thought of purchasing the Joel we are at an even more difficult financial endeavor which ultimately will have deeper consequences than whether we can pay 2.5 million for a basketball coach. And yes, Dino is still being paid Approximately 400000.00 this year and next year unless he takes another job.

I don't think that's true. I think it was bzd own penalty fee at Colorado he was talking about being bzd's responsibility. I believe the bulk of Dino's money comes off the books next year. It's possible the financials changed a bit when the Teague Gary blowjob story went national as I think we negotiated a smaller buyout number in exchange for good reputation. But that could have been claused. Don't know.

I don't think we can pay Shaka today for revenue we anticipate tomorrow though. Wellman has run a buttoned down department up til now. Can't see that changing. He didn't even start the scoreboard til he had money in hand even though that meant having it under construction during the season correct?

Back