• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Death Penalty

You just explained exactly why I think you are wrong regarding the Bible and its stance on homosexuality. I am not actually against the death penalty in all circumstances. I just find it interesting to take small snippets to justify a view that homosexuality is a choice and some huge sin that condemns people to hell, but then say you can't do that with regard to the death penalty (I could have just as easily made a post FOR the death penalty with a random selection of verses).

I do, however, find the list of murderers and their fates an interesting thing to look at.

I too chuckled to myself and wondered how Wrangor could write that paragraph with a straight face.

No crime should be punished based on demographics of the person. If demographics is involved in the sentencing of individuals it is the fault of the process, not the fault of the punishment. The punishment is colorblind, the people making the decisions are not. Don't blame the death penalty, blame the process, and fix the process.

My good friend Wrangor: do you think that the current incarnation of the death penalty deters murder? If not, is there some form of the death penalty which you think would deter murder?

Don't you think that a creep committing a robbery would be less likely to kill his victim if the creep knew that would result in immediate death?

No. By that logic, the creep wouldn't have committed the robbery because he knew it would result in a long jail sentence.

Don't you think that a creep committing a robbery would be less likely to kill his victim if the creep knew that would result in immediate death?

Absolutely not. In fact it would make him more likely to kill everyone around. That way there are no witnesses.

Using your methodology about a dozen innocent people in IL would have been executed in the 90s. That's just one state and in one decade.

No. By that logic, the creep wouldn't have committed the robbery because he knew it would result in a long jail sentence.

Well, consciously or subconsciously he has to weigh the penalty and the chances of getting caught against the gain. Don't you think adding in a real possibility of death would change the calculation?

Well, consciously or subconsciously he has to weigh the penalty and the chances of getting caught against the gain. Don't you think adding in a real possibility of death would change the calculation?

You're assigning rational choice to somebody in the middle of a robbery.

You're assigning rational choice to somebody in the middle of a robbery.

What if the victim aims a gun directly at the robber, introducing immediate death as a possibility. Does that influence Mr. Robber?

No, but self-defense does.

Self defense is an immediate consequence. Do we need more immediate consequences?

My good friend Wrangor: do you think that the current incarnation of the death penalty deters murder? If not, is there some form of the death penalty which you think would deter murder?

I am not certain of the deterrence of crime because of the death penalty, but that is not the main benefit of justice. Justice is reaping what you sow. There are crimes that are committed that deserve an equal punishment. To be honest even the death penalty doesn't do justice to something like raping and killing a young girl, but that is the ultimate punishment mankind can hand out. And I love the certainty with which people make blanket statement about the how the death penalty provides zero deterrent simply because some study said so. I am not making a claim either way, but to laugh quietly at my claims of the Gospel, and then make completely unprovable blanket statements like 'no death penalty would deter murder' is somewhat humorous in its own right.

The only thing funnier than people getting on to me about pushing my beliefs on them is having someone with limited Biblical knowledge attempt to push their interpretation of the Bible on to me...and then chuckle about my stance. That truly is laughable.

Of course RJ makes his usual idiotic arguments. Great response. :thumbsup:

You have done a great job of completely misrepresenting the Bible. Congratulations :)

The only thing funnier than people getting on to me about pushing my beliefs on them is having someone with limited Biblical knowledge attempt to push their interpretation of the Bible on to me...and then chuckle about my stance. That truly is laughable.

Wrangor, I like you as a poster, and enjoy reading your posts as it often gives me rational insight into a stance different than my own. But the extent to which you mock others' interpretation of the Bible kind of makes you seem like a jerk.

Last edited:
Not intending to mock yours, apologize if that is the way it came off. Simply get tired of people telling me how I should interpret it. It usually involves my 'misunderstanding' of the topic of homosexuality as if I am simply taking one passage that my pastor gave me when I was 9. Again - you are welcome to have your interpretation, but I get tired of people treating my opinion as though I have done zero critical thinking, praying, etc... about whatever topic we are discussing in relation to the Bible (again - it is usually homosexuality, but it really applies to any topic). People assume because I interpret the Bible conservatively that I have not thought critically about my point of view. That is false. I have thought very critically, prayed very diligently, and come to a conclusion that I believe is in line with the entirety of the Bible.

Sorry if I have come off harsh in the past. For all the benefits of internet discussion boards (mainly an ability to sharpen our opinions, and open our eyes to other viewpoints), the one central fallback is that it is often difficult to interpret tone of voice.

I'm not saying anything about my interpretation of the Bible, just to clarify. I have not done the background work necessary to have an interpretation, honestly. But it seems that in your frustration that others are assuming you haven't thought through your view, you seem to be issuing the same judgment on them by declaring their positions to be wrong.

And of course I could be over reacting. Some of the posts have just seemed harsh, even with a smiley thrown in at the end.

ETA: I understand your frustration, you're often on the minority side of an issue and continue to post openly and honestly, which is commendable.

No worries. Back to the topic at hand. Death to all infidels.

As long as DAs are elected, the DP (and mandatory sentencing) will be political.

Back