• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Debate

Gracious of you. I enjoy the intellectual bantor despite the fact you are wrong.

I'm sure this is an easy question and I'm just forgetting some people.

With Pawlenty already in the race and Bachmann declaring her candidacy, when is the last time two former or current state or national elected officials (governor, senator, congressman) who were elected from the same state ran against each other in a presidential primary?

I had to look it up. it has happened a lot, but not much recently. In 1980 and 1984 there was a (very) longshot Californian named Ben Fernandez, who was technically a candidate but not a contender.

Probably the most real recent example was '68, and it also involves Minnesota. Senator Eugene McCarthy was the favorite among much of the left, but Former. MN Governor (and then VP) Hubert Humphrey was the establishment-backed candidate and emerged with the nomination after LBJ decided no to run and RFK was assassinated. McCarthy finished second in the convention balloting.

Thanks. Confirms that there weren't any in my lifetime.

I am just waiting for someone to woo the web-handed community. Swing votes! Get it, swinging? Building to building? COME ON.

WEBS. HANDS. PERIOD.

Bottom line is everyone knows this crap didn't mean anything. No one was watching, no one's paying attention yet.

The only way anyone could lose in this debate is to make a mistake that dominates the news cycle for the next week. That's why Pawlenty didn't release the hounds on Romney and why most everyone was boring.

Pawlenty lost big time in this debate. He's Mitt's bitch now.

KanhojiAngre;159302[B said:
]Bottom line is everyone knows this crap didn't mean anything. No one was watching, no one's paying attention yet.

The only way anyone could lose in this debate is to make a mistake that dominates the news cycle for the next week[/B]. That's why Pawlenty didn't release the hounds on Romney and why most everyone was boring.

+1

Bottom line is everyone knows this crap didn't mean anything. No one was watching, no one's paying attention yet.

The only way anyone could lose in this debate is to make a mistake that dominates the news cycle for the next week. That's why Pawlenty didn't release the hounds on Romney and why most everyone was boring.

agree, in sense that this meant more to beltway fundraising than anything. in that regard, tp did not help himself. in a broader sense--yes, it's very early and no one will remember this a month fro now, let alone by Iowa.

Back