• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defensive Coordinator Brian Knorr

BTB

Reaction score
Indiana has hired Brian Knorr as its new defensive coordinator after firing the guy that presided over IU's horrendous defense the last few years, which has been awful by every measure. From the looks of it, Knorr appears to have had a good run as Wake's DC.

Any thoughts on the guy? How do Wake fans view him?

That's very encouraging. Thanks.

Do you enjoy giving up first downs on 3rd and long?

how do you have over 600 posts on this board and not have an opinion of our defense?

WF was reasonably talented on defense this year with 2 very good CBs, a stud NG, and a bunch of reasonably talented senior LBs and DEs. The defense was OK, but should have been better given the talent on hand. That said, the offense was so poor that the defense was often left on the field too long. I would rate Knorr as an average DC. Certainly not innovative, or the type that gets the most out of the talent on hand. Respectable at best.

Just looking at the stats, your previous DC was atrocious. Knorr should be better than that. He doesn't have much of track record of success to justify getting a Big Ten DC job.

If you enjoy your corners giving receivers 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 5 pass plays, you'll love the hell out of this guy.

Well we will get a test to see if a coordinator sucked at Wake in spite of Grobe or because of him.

If you enjoy your corners giving receivers 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 5 pass plays, you'll love the hell out of this guy.

I think that was more Grobes decision than Knorr. We played soft coverage the entire time Grobe was here.

For all the knocks on Knorr, he fielded defenses good enough to win games if it had any support whatsoever from our pathetic offense.

I guess Knorr isn't waiting for Grobe to make up his mind.

For all the knocks on Knorr, he fielded defenses good enough to win games if it had any support whatsoever from our pathetic offense.

Agree with this. Defense has not been the main problem for Wake teams the past several years.

Knorr had already accepted a defensive coaching position at Air Force this offseason after Grobe resigned. Guess the IU opportunity was worth leaving AFA after only about a month.

Tough to know much about the defense with how piss poor the offense was.

WF was reasonably talented on defense this year with 2 very good CBs, a stud NG, and a bunch of reasonably talented senior LBs and DEs. The defense was OK, but should have been better given the talent on hand. That said, the offense was so poor that the defense was often left on the field too long. I would rate Knorr as an average DC. Certainly not innovative, or the type that gets the most out of the talent on hand. Respectable at best.

Pretty good summary. I'll add that I've never seen a DC more committed to playing his base defense; 4-wide, 5-wide, 3rd-and-15, it didn't matter, we were going to line up in the 4-3. It wasn't until the 5th or so game of the season that I saw us finally use a nickel package. Maybe that's Grobe's fault, but it was incredible to watch.

how do you have over 600 posts on this board and not have an opinion of our defense?

I spend time on this board for the soccer threads. My time here has made me aware of the passionate and unconditional support Wake fans have for their basketball coach and AD but I honestly haven't spent any time paying attention to Wake football threads.

Back