• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defensive game plan vs State

Dillon Fence

Reaction score
I know we have a lot of defensive game planning experts here…would be nice to see some thoughts before the game on how we should approach the Pack.

Tackling the guy with the football would be a good start

All kidding aside, that's it. That's the answer. We know that we can score on anyone, so if we can find away to make tackles instead of giving up 35 yards that include 32 yards after contact, we'll win.

As my wife said during the game, #45 needs to wrap up instead of just throwing his shoulder into people

#45 needs to bulk up and play LB like Masterson, or ride the pine behind #3, other than garbage time.

I think we should play mostly press-man coverage with 2 deep safeties, when not blitzing, and run a lot of cover 2/3 blitz schemes, rushing at least 5. I was confused by Clawson's comments that playing more Cover 2 to protect Zion Keith made us more susceptible to the run. Zone defense is typically more effective against the run, as it allows LBs/DBs to have their eyes in the backfield longer, vs. on their man. It's concerning, and makes me wonder if we have a fundamental lack of understanding on how to scheme and play zones.

We usually put 14 on the board fast. All we asking a defense to do is get a stop 35 to 50 percent they on the field. Playing defense with this offense should be easy. Just stop the other team a few times. It's beyond comprehension.

#45 needs to bulk up and play LB like Masterson, or ride the pine behind #3, other than garbage time.

I think we should play mostly press-man coverage with 2 deep safeties, when not blitzing, and run a lot of cover 2/3 blitz schemes, rushing at least 5. I was confused by Clawson's comments that playing more Cover 2 to protect Zion Keith made us more susceptible to the run. Zone defense is typically more effective against the run, as it allows LBs/DBs to have their eyes in the backfield longer, vs. on their man. It's concerning, and makes me wonder if we have a fundamental lack of understanding on how to scheme and play zones.

not trying to be an asshole, but i’m pretty confident clawson knows more about football than you do

Playing with two deep safeties makes you more susceptible to the run than the Cover 1 we were playing earlier in the game

Finish drives. We won’t always stop them, but we we get them behind on down and distance, you have to pressure the QB and get a stop.

Depends on what kind of zone WF was playing. With WF's man defense, WF can put an extra defender (one of the safeties) in the box to stop the run. With the zone that WF played in the 2nd half at UNC, the defense was playing two deep safeties with the corners also playing off the line. That meant that WF was outnumbered at the LOS, and Chandler had a field day getting 5+ yards down field before encountering any defender.

El Matador- Break It You Buy It!- David Copperfield- an Illusion- High Road Low Road, You Get There Before Me? Get Out the way, man! Hold on I'm coming (apologies to Sam and Dave) I still have hopes to win out, but we have to have a major defensive transformation in the next 24 hours. Tackling will help, injuries hurt but we have been poor on D for a long time. To think this does not need major attention for next year is self delusion. Not a trait of the stage 5 leader going good to great. If our offense is on we have a chance of covering for the defense, but if it is not- well see UNC. Sam and the boys need to be near perfect for the next three weeks. Let's get it done!

Given how atrocious our D has been especially against the run I think you have to go all out early to completely shut down the run and make Leary beat you in the air. Have 8 in the box with 5 DL and 3 LB and man to man elsewhere and at least be succesful in shutting down one aspect of their offense vs. getting gashed by land and air as we have seen against UNC and Army. If State ever gets 3rd and long then always send a least a safety or LB to put some pressure on with the 5 upfront and let the chips fall where they may. CANNOT be worse than what we have been witnessing. Would rather some speedy big TEs beat us in the air than see a RB regularly running for 5-10 with our guys throwing their arms at them....

Get better at reading zone defenses and don't throw pics when the defense is in zone.

That and tackle

Take the ball away. That's really all I got. We can't stop anyone at this point. Need to just attack the ball.

Be ready for the Doeren bag of tricks....fake punt, 4th down try to make you jump, 4th down gadget play where the ball is thrown deep, fake FGs, etc They run a very proficient O and built into it are things that have options after the snap so you can't really tell where the play may go. Look for that cross field throw back to the opposite side, usually to the QB. (We have run it, as well.)

Last edited:
The plan starts with leaving Hemphill in the locker room with no headset.

Back