• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defensive game plan vs State

Given how atrocious our D has been especially against the run I think you have to go all out early to completely shut down the run and make Leary beat you in the air. Have 8 in the box with 5 DL and 3 LB and man to man elsewhere and at least be succesful in shutting down one aspect of their offense vs. getting gashed by land and air as we have seen against UNC and Army. If State ever gets 3rd and long then always send a least a safety or LB to put some pressure on with the 5 upfront and let the chips fall where they may. CANNOT be worse than what we have been witnessing. Would rather some speedy big TEs beat us in the air than see a RB regularly running for 5-10 with our guys throwing their arms at them....

This is how I would approach it as well.

#45 needs to bulk up and play LB like Masterson, or ride the pine behind #3, other than garbage time.

I think we should play mostly press-man coverage with 2 deep safeties, when not blitzing, and run a lot of cover 2/3 blitz schemes, rushing at least 5. I was confused by Clawson's comments that playing more Cover 2 to protect Zion Keith made us more susceptible to the run. Zone defense is typically more effective against the run, as it allows LBs/DBs to have their eyes in the backfield longer, vs. on their man. It's concerning, and makes me wonder if we have a fundamental lack of understanding on how to scheme and play zones.

I think you are misunderstanding different coverage packages where there is a little more complexity than just zone versus man. When we run man free we have a single safety up top which pushes the other four defensive backs closer to the line. With where we play, which isn’t a tight press man, the DBs try to keep the receivers in front of them so they can read their man through to the QB/Ball carrier and come up in run support.

In cover 2 - you have 2 safeties up high, with last man beat/downfield responsibilities making them further away and less if a factor in run support - putting more pressure on the LBs in the run game.

I don't have any advice for them, but I do know Clawson will need to use mental health tactics to keep them inspired since they just lied down and got steamrolled in the 4th quarter last week.

Ok, some advice, #45 is not the only one just flying around and not wrapping up. Gang tackling means the first guy wraps up the ball carrier, then everyone else comes flying in. Not the first guy flies in and misses...

I say we try to sneak a 12th defensive player onto the field as often as possible by having them wear a matt black helmet along with the all black uniform. Would be hard to see at night and might work.

not trying to be an asshole, but i’m pretty confident clawson knows more about football than you do

I think you are misunderstanding different coverage packages where there is a little more complexity than just zone versus man. When we run man free we have a single safety up top which pushes the other four defensive backs closer to the line. With where we play, which isn’t a tight press man, the DBs try to keep the receivers in front of them so they can read their man through to the QB/Ball carrier and come up in run support.

In cover 2 - you have 2 safeties up high, with last man beat/downfield responsibilities making them further away and less if a factor in run support - putting more pressure on the LBs in the run game.

You guys are right, and I was definitely oversimplifying things. Seems like playing a tight cover 3 with a rolled up SS/Rover and 3 DBs (2 CBs and 1 FS) covering deep thirds would be a good way to get guys near the line of scrimmage (and allow various blitz packages), while also avoiding being too susceptible to getting beat over the top. Fully on board with the "boom or bust" idea of rushing 5 or 6 on most every play, vs. the slow bleed "bend and eventually break".

Seems to me that this defense would be a lot better if the LBs had any speed at all. Frequently they are not in the picture at all and the running backs are getting 8 to 12 yards and being tackled by Wake's safeties and corner backs.

Seems to me that this defense would be a lot better if the LBs had any speed at all. Frequently they are not in the picture at all and the running backs are getting 8 to 12 yards and being tackled by Wake's safeties and corner backs.

our guys might be undersized but they make up for it with their lack of speed!

Wrap up and tackle instead of trying to knock or strip the ball. Every play, guys are reaching and trying to strip instead of just wrapping up. It's great when they do strip it and get turnovers, but otherwise, no.

Back