• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defining player for each MLB franchise

timthedeac

Reaction score
Agree? Help me out on the ones I haven't done. I give a runner(s)-up if I thought there's arguments for others.

Atlanta - Hank Aaron
Philadelphia - ?
New York - ?
Miami - ?
Washington - Andre Dawson

St. Louis - Stan Musial (Ozzie Smith, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock)
Cincinnati - Pete Rose
Pittsburgh - Roberto Clemente (Honus Wagner, Bill Mazeroski)
Chicago - Ernie Banks
Milwaukee - Robin Yount

Los Angeles - Jackie Robinson
San Francisco - Willie Mays (Barry Bonds)
San Diego - Tony Gwynn
Arizona - ?
Colorado - Todd Helton?

New York - Mickey Mantle (Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio)
Boston - Ted Williams
Baltimore - Cal Ripken Jr
Toronto - Roberto Alomar (Joe Carter)
Tampa - ?

Cleveland - Bob Feller
Chicago - ?
Detroit - ?
Minnesota - Kirby Puckett (Harmon Killebrew)
Kansas City - George Brett

Texas - Nolan Ryan
Anaheim - Nolan Ryan
Houston - Nolan Ryan (Craig Biggio)
Seattle - Ken Griffey Jr (Randy Johnson)
Oakland - Rickey Henderson (Reggie Jackson)

Philadelphia - Mike Schmidt
New York Mets - Tom Seaver
Miami - Jeff Conine
Arizona - Randy Johnson or Luis Gonzalez
Tampa - Evan Longoria (will be)
Chicago White Sox - Luke Appling or Frank Thomas
Detroit - Ty Cobb or Al Kaline

Minnesota = Rod Carew

He was an all-star in each of the 11 seasons he was a Twin as well as Rookie of the Year & AL MVP. His career BA as a Twin is .334

Last edited:
Detroit is def Ty Cobb, but Miguel Cabrera could challenge that by the end of his career.

I think most tiger fans would say Kaline over Cobb. He seems to be more of a working class hero. I agree Miggy will outdo them both.

The White Sox might think about Aparicio or Nellie Fox as well.

Steve Carlton and and Robin Roberts would be right behind Schmidty for the Phils.

The Mets' is Seaver.

I think best player is different than the player you think of when you think of the franchise. If the question is "defining player" I'm leaning toward the latter.

For that reason I'd go Chipper over Aaron for Atlanta.

RSF will DEFINITELY make an argument for Pedro on here.

it would be a poor argument compared to the greatest hitter of all time (Ted Williams, career BA of .344)

19× All-Star (1940, 1941, 1942, 1946, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1959², 1960, 1960²)
2× AL MVP (1946, 1949)
2× Triple Crown winner (1942, 1947)
6× AL batting champion (1941, 1942, 1947, 1948, 1957, 1958)
4× AL home run champion (1941, 1942, 1947, 1949)
4× AL RBI champion (1939, 1942, 1947, 1949)

I think best player is different than the player you think of when you think of the franchise. If the question is "defining player" I'm leaning toward the latter.

Meh, when I think of the Braves, I still think of Hank. That's just me though. Cobb was obviously a better player than Kaline, but as RJ noted, I think Detroit fans identify more with Kaline as being "Detroit." 18-time All-Star and was their color commentator for close to 30 years.

Yeah, that kind of stuff.

Different generations are going to answer different ways as well (though I have no idea how old you are).

Yeah, that kind of stuff.

Different generations are going to answer different ways as well (though I have no idea how old you are).
I'm 21, but I enjoy my baseball history. :thumbsup:

I'd even throw Spahn over Chipper.

Last edited:

We're talking about "defining" the same way, but I tried not to just make it who defines the franchise for me. There are several teams where the player I think of for that team isn't what I would consider the defining player of the franchise.
Mets - Gooden/Strawberry
Reds - Larkin
Astros - Biggio/Bagwell
Braves - Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz

the Expos/Nats may be Gary Carter over The Hawk.

Carter would probably get the nod in Toronto due to his WS winning HR.

Oakland is Reggie followed by Catfish. I think Eck and Rickey are about even.

Cleveland is Ricky Vaughn.

Hank in Atlanta.

Seaver for the Mets.

Tough not to say Killebrew for the Twins ... it's his silhouette on the MLB logo.

Seaver was the savior for the Mets
Richie Ashburn would be second behind Mike Schmidt, because of his time in the broadcast booth.

I think Randy Johnson has to be the guy in AZ. He won four consecutive Cy Youngs. He had over 1400 Ks in four years.

If it's the LA Dodgers, it's Koufax.

In Anaheim, the local guy, Bobby Grisch is more revered than Nolan Ryan. I think Vlad is more the face of the team than Ryan as well.

I would argue Stargell over Maz for the Pirates.

Back