• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defining player for each MLB franchise

Do people really think of Mantle ahead of Ruth for the Yankees?

Yes indeed, because he was the hero for Baby Boomers from the Bronx and beyond. However, Ruth may have been the greatest player of all time. I am surprised that some of the younger crowd havent mentioned Jeter. With Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Berra, Mantle, and Jeter, the Yankees have more legit great players from which to choose than any other franchise.

kirk-gibson-with-tigers.jpg

another option for detroit. doesn't touch the careers numbers-wise of some other guys, but a tigers legend nonetheless.

Gibson is a legend, but he doesn't touch Kaline.

It's still The House that Ruth Built. But Jeter does leave nice gift bags.

Yes indeed, because he was the hero for Baby Boomers from the Bronx and beyond. However, Ruth may have been the greatest player of all time. I am surprised that some of the younger crowd havent mentioned Jeter. With Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Berra, Mantle, and Jeter, the Yankees have more legit great players from which to choose than any other franchise.

Maybe, but I'd rather root for the Taliban than for the fucking Yankees.

I tend to agree on Robin Yount for Milwaukee, but you could make an argument for Paul Molitor as well. Probably didn't help that he left town and won a title while still being productive.

There have been lots of great Cubs over the years, but there is no chance the dude named Mr. Cub can be argued.

the Expos/Nats may be Gary Carter over The Hawk.

Carter would probably get the nod in Toronto due to his WS winning HR.

Oakland is Reggie followed by Catfish. I think Eck and Rickey are about even.

Cleveland is Ricky Vaughn.

Maybe Steve Rogers or Tim Raines.

But the spitter, Alomar, should get a little consideration.

Vida Blue and, my personal favorite, Joe Rudi.

Cleveland is definitely Ricky Vaughn.

If you're over 40 like I am, I don't think it's Ripken for Balmur. I'd say Brooks, Frank and Palmer (in that order) before Ripken. But I'm also not as impressed by consecutive game longevity streaks in non-contact sports as some are.

Back