• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Democratic Candidates for POTUS, 2016 edition

Bernie picked up about 5 delegates more than Hillary. He's still close to 300 pledged delegates behind her.

It's about the math.

It's about the official platform at the convention. That's why Bernie is staying in this thing. Nobody should fool themselves otherwise.

It's about the official platform at the convention. That's why Bernie is staying in this thing. Nobody should fool themselves otherwise.

Yeah. Bernie is trying to broker influence. And while he may not win the war, he can obviously win a few battles along the way. Why quit now?

Yeah. Bernie is trying to broker influence. And while he may not win the war, he can obviously win a few battles along the way. Why quit now?

I've tried to explain this to my mom but she is getting angrier and angrier at Bernie as it goes along.

Our talk tomorrow should be interesting since she thought Hill would win IN by 10+ points to lock it all up.

Yeah. Bernie's done more of the far left of the party than anybody I can remember. The fact that he's far from a perfect messenger means that his job is to open doors for the perfect messenger down the road. The best way to do that is to influence the platform for the 2016 election, wield power and challenge Hillary from the left in the Senate, and empower down ballot liberal candidates for 2018 and going forward. An ideal Bernie plan should be to make sure there is an empowered liberal ready to run in 2024 who can deliver the message better than he could.

Not having the majority means, he has to play nice to get more in the platform. The first thing will be to set a "goal" of $15/hour with a $12 starting point. Bernie can get that, but if he says $15 or nothing, he'll lose. His free tuition plan doesn't work. He could get something like a "goal" of working towards Medicare for all, but, of course, the GOP in the House won't let that happen.

She will definitely give a plank to overturning Citizens United and the Voters Rights Act case. He'll get a prime time speech on the night before the nomination.

He will get nothing about the trade deals. But there will be something about clean energy.

He's got to be realistic. if it's all or nothing, he'll only get what she feels like giving him.

RJ, if you are working for the Clinton Foundation, I hope that your are being well paid for it.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsmax-Tv/john-zogby-hillary-damaged-candidate/2016/05/03/id/727080/

I have nothing to do with them.

Obama and Bernie are going to campaign very hard for Hillary. They have no choice.

You are also neglecting that Hillary will get 80+% (and maybe 90%) of the Hispanic vote. It's also growing faster than OWG are dying off from 2012.

Trump has more baggage than a Carnival cruise ship.

I did ask you half in jest RJ, if you were working for the Clinton Foundation. Happy to hear that you are not. But you gotta admit, from time to time you sure sound like you are working for the Clintons. Well anyway, here is some more food for thought on the upcoming contest:

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2016...estigation-her-actions-reckless-and-entitled/

By the way, your argument is not with me, it's with an esteemed pollster. Please remember, not all of Obama's and Bernie's supporters are as devoted to Clinton as you appear to be.

As far as Trump's baggage is concerned, he certainly has a lot of it himself. We'll see who can make the other side's baggage look more damaging and disqualifying.

And before you jump to unwarranted conclusions, I have been on record that I am not voting for Trump or Hillary for quite some time.

Last edited:
Bernie is going to win WV, KY and probably OR too. IN is a white rust belt state. KY and WV are white Appalachia. But then the reality of NJ and CA are going to finish it off. States have been mostly easy to predict for the Dems this year based on demographics and location.

FWIW, I have zero problem with Bernie staying in till the end. Hillary did that last time, and even though I was big for Obama last time around, I didn't really have a problem with her doing that. But Bernie and his followers insisting that they can still pull this off is laughable.

HC is favored in Kentucky closed primary. Definitely going to lose Oregon. If I were doing strategy for her I would probably spend a little in Kentucky, New Mexico, New Jersey, etc. Just to try to pick up some wins for optics. Even though she can obviously lose every state til the end and be fine.

Bernie's idea....which I guess they are forcing Hillary to buy into....of raising the minimum wage to $!5/hour is bat-shit crazy and completely irresponsible. Political pandering at its worst. Obviously, the minimum wage could use some tweaking for inflation, as it has been several years since it was adjusted....but going from $7.25 to $15.00 indicates a complete lack of comprehension of the economic consequences that would result from such a radical change. I don't want anyone running the country who doesn't understand that a $15/hour minimum wage would have disastrous repercussions for the nation's economy.

I posted somewhere in another thread that the best election for the country would be Rand Paul vs Bernie Sanders. They have completely opposite views on what government should do, but they have one very important thing in common: They are about the only two candidates running who are at least reasonably honest and trustworthy.

The #1 goal for me in this election is to defeat Hillary Clinton....who is probably the most dishonest candidate running. I hope Bernie Sanders can do it, but if he falls short I hope whomever the GOP finally picks can do it.

ETA: Unless the GOP candidate is Ted Cruz. No way I could ever vote for Ted Cruz.

Posted without comment.

Bernie's idea....which I guess they are forcing Hillary to buy into....of raising the minimum wage to $!5/hour is bat-shit crazy and completely irresponsible. Political pandering at its worst. Obviously, the minimum wage could use some tweaking for inflation, as it has been several years since it was adjusted....but going from $7.25 to $15.00 indicates a complete lack of comprehension of the economic consequences that would result from such a radical change. I don't want anyone running the country who doesn't understand that a $15/hour minimum wage would have disastrous repercussions for the nation's economy.

Yeah, if only Bernie's plan included scaling up to $15 and not just jumping right from the current number to $15 then it would be much better.

"Millions of Americans are working for totally inadequate wages. We must ensure that no full-time worker lives in poverty. The current federal minimum wage is starvation pay and must become a living wage. We must increase it to $15 an hour over the next several years."

That's why the minimum wage would be increased incrementally up to $15/hr and not just all at once. Nobody is saying to make the minimum wage $15/hr on the next President's first day in office.

I've tried to explain this to my mom but she is getting angrier and angrier at Bernie as it goes along.

Our talk tomorrow should be interesting since she thought Hill would win IN by 10+ points to lock it all up.

Consider yourself lucky. My parents are fans of Fiorina, Sleepy and Cruz.

Back