• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Democratic Candidates for POTUS, 2016 edition

If the idea is that the "cooler" guy wins the election, then I agree.

I don't see a "cool" guy in this election. Hillary, Rand, Marco, Ted, Bernie, HP lady, Dr. Ben.... nobody cool in the group. All lame-o's.

I don't see a "cool" guy in this election. Hillary, Rand, Marco, Ted, Bernie, HP lady, Dr. Ben.... nobody cool in the group. All lame-o's.

Agreed. Every election in my lifetime, there was a clear "cool guy". There isn't one here. It's another area where Hillary could win by default with her whole grandma routine.

You want cool? ....

article-2324436-19C7BF73000005DC-584_306x677.jpg

If the economy tanks over the next year and a half, then the Pubs prolly win with that message and keep the Senate. If there is no serious crisis, scandal or economic downturn, then that's a bad strategy. The 1 Pub with a somewhat unique message I'll say again is Paul, and he's the guy who could make this real interesting without an intervening scandal or downturn.

Can Paul survive the Tea Party? Just asking as I have no idea.

Paul is a complete wildcard. He could go Obama or he could go Huntsman on us. I can't get a good read on his chances to be honest. He is definitely one to watch.

Paul is a complete wildcard. He could go Obama or he could go Huntsman on us. I can't get a good read on his chances to be honest. He is definitely one to watch.

V6GnsOk.gif

Agreed. Every election in my lifetime, there was a clear "cool guy". There isn't one here. It's another area where Hillary could win by default with her whole grandma routine.

I could see Paul becoming the cool guy. His dad was close to becoming that (at least the candidate that hipster cool guys supported) even as an old fogey.

I could see Paul becoming the cool guy. His dad was close to becoming that (at least the candidate that hipster cool guys supported) even as an old fogey.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Paul could put a serious stress test to the "coolest guy wins" theory (which speaks to the dorks that fill out the field).

Bernie Sanders was just on Diane Rehm. He did well. Straightforward progressive message focusing on issues "a majority of Americans" agree with like increasing minimum wage and campaign finance reform.

That's bad for Hillary.

It would be better for her if they were released earlier to give any controversy time to die down before primary season.

What's your logic?

One flip side to that coin is that it gives her enough time to build a warchest that can survive whatever comes from the email dump.

That's possible. On the flip side to that, big donors may wait to see if she survives the email dump.

True. Honestly, I think she's got enough big money lined up already that not much will stop her.

On your side, another dem candidate can make some serious hay banging this issue for the next 8 months.

Exactly. Anybody who is on the fence would get in if there was blood in the water. Now we aren't sure if there will be until January.

She won't release the emails now. She won't schedule a press conference to take questions now. She will take ten months from the date the NYT came out with their announcement to release anything.

I'm sure there is blood in the water now. If she has nothing to hide, why wouldn't she be forthcoming and deal with the issue today.

I will bet you any amount you're comfortable with that in January, after having had ten months to "cull her personal emails" from the account, it will be one big "nothing to see here."

Back