• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Democratic Candidates for POTUS, 2016 edition

So what's Bernie's angle? Made his last stand in CA, lost by 500K votes, fired half his staff, and is still going to run next week in the DC primary? Cruz and Kasich got out after IN before Trump had the necessary delegates for a first ballot nomination. Bernie's done and isn't going to win the DC primary. Cut your losses and collect DWS's head as a nice consolation prize.

So what's Bernie's angle? Made his last stand in CA, lost by 500K votes, fired half his staff, and is still going to run next week in the DC primary? Cruz and Kasich got out after IN before Trump had the necessary delegates for a first ballot nomination. Bernie's done and isn't going to win the DC primary. Cut your losses and collect DWS's head as a nice consolation prize.

He probably should have done this sooner, but I hope Bernie is trying to pull together a plan for how to take the momentum and energy he built with this campaign and turn it into some real and effective change to our political system. If he just drops out and goes back to the Senate and makes noise on C-SPAN for a couple years, there will be widespread disappointment amongst his rabid supporters, but if he waits a week, pulls together a plan for moving forward, maybe he can suppress disappointment and maximize harnessing the rabid-ity into something positive...more concrete than DWS's head. Maybe (hopefully), that is what the delay is about.

Bernie will start pivoting towards Hillary after his meeting with Obama tomorrow.

He probably should have done this sooner, but I hope Bernie is trying to pull together a plan for how to take the momentum and energy he built with this campaign and turn it into some real and effective change to our political system. If he just drops out and goes back to the Senate and makes noise on C-SPAN for a couple years, there will be widespread disappointment amongst his rabid supporters, but if he waits a week, pulls together a plan for moving forward, maybe he can suppress disappointment and maximize harnessing the rabid-ity into something positive...more concrete than DWS's head. Maybe (hopefully), that is what the delay is about.

Good post. The Ron Paul movement was far less successful but generated similar passion. Paul did nothing with it to make any real change, probably assuming Rand was his natural successor so there was no point rocking the boat.

If Bernie Sanders realizes this movement isn't about Bernie Sanders and it's more about the desire for a liberal wing and anti-Hillary alternative, then he'll work with Hillary, endorse some potential VP/cabinet nominees, influence the platform, go back to the Senate and keep Hillary in check.

Bernie is meeting with Obama and with Harry Reid tomorrow. I'm sure he's prioritized what he wants to get done. (Hopefully Jeff Weaver goes away.)

If Bernie Sanders realizes this movement isn't about Bernie Sanders and it's more about the desire for a liberal wing and anti-Hillary alternative, then he'll work with Hillary, endorse some potential VP/cabinet nominees, influence the platform, go back to the Senate and keep Hillary in check.

One report is that Bernie felt so betrayed by Sherrod Brown's endorsement of HRC that he vowed to veto Brown as Hillary's VP. Like Bernie would have a say or prefer Kaine or Warner? Bernie ran a good campaign, but he's not going to be VP and he needs Warren & Brown more than they need him. Hopefully Obama and Reid help him realize that he can easily squander what he built up if he makes it too much about himself rather than advancing his policies.

One report is that Bernie felt so betrayed by Sherrod Brown's endorsement of HRC that he vowed to veto Brown as Hillary's VP. Like Bernie would have a say or prefer Kaine or Warner? Bernie ran a good campaign, but he's not going to be VP and he needs Warren & Brown more than they need him. Hopefully Obama and Reid help him realize that he can easily squander what he built up if he makes it too much about himself rather than advancing his policies.

I don't see her taking Brown or Warren as their Republican governors would place either one with a Republican. I'd put Kaine, Castro, Perez and maybe even a fun one, Al Franken. Earlier, I thought Castro was a near lock, but a lot have put Perez ahead of him.k

I would LOVE to see Franken. How fun would that be? People often forget he graduated with honors from Harvard. It would be GREAT! He would eviscerate Trump with a smile on his face.

I don't see her taking Brown or Warren as their Republican governors would place either one with a Republican. I'd put Kaine, Castro, Perez and maybe even a fun one, Al Franken. Earlier, I thought Castro was a near lock, but a lot have put Perez ahead of him.

Don't think it will be a landslide, but the race won't be all that close either, so Hillary will have room to spare in the Senate. Wish Warren had run, but think Brown would be the best VP option. Thanks to Trump, Hillary doesn't need help with women or Latinos. Trump will make his stand in the Rust Belt, and he's done without PA or OH. Brown fits better than Franken in those states and Hillary needs to shore up liberal support. Trump really screwed up the map by essentially forfeiting the West. If Trump blows up AZ too, Dems just need IA & NH, so Franken could work.

Hopefully, Obama & Reid will piss Sanders off as much as possible by leaning on him as hard as they can.

(As long as we're playing the "hoping" game.) :)

Last edited:
Good post. I hope he has a plan like that. It would be damn near tragic if he pissed away all the goodwill and momentum for change he's built up.

Bernie likely won't drop out officially until after the DC primary, if for nothing else than to say that he saw the campaign through to it's completion. I don't see any reason not to let him do so if you're Hillary (and Obama, et al).

Don't think it will be a landslide, but the race won't be all that close either, so Hillary will have room to spare in the Senate. Wish Warren had run, but think Brown would be the best VP option. Thanks to Trump, Hillary doesn't need help with women or Latinos. Trump will make his stand in the Rust Belt, and he's done without PA or OH. Brown fits better than Franken in those states and Hillary needs to shore up liberal support. Trump really screwed up the map by essentially forfeiting the West. If Trump blows up AZ too, Dems just need IA & NH, so Franken could work.

I agree Brown would be the best option, but it could be a one vote difference in the Senate. She can't risk it.

When they show the opposition research of Trump underpaying his line employees dramatically, he lose many of the OWGs. His pay tactics across the country are horrible. They will also show how many contractors and other vendors Trump has sued out of business rather than paying legitimate contracts.

Brown will be going balls to the walls in OH. Biden will be there and in PA.

Also, Trump is saying he's going to spend money in CA and NY. He's not going to get the bucks he needs. Wasting time and money is going to hurt him in PA, OH and FL.

I will be shocked if Hillary doesn't get 315-330 EVs. It's going to be over very early.

I agree Brown would be the best option, but it could be a one vote difference in the Senate. She can't risk it.

When they show the opposition research of Trump underpaying his line employees dramatically, he lose many of the OWGs. His pay tactics across the country are horrible. They will also show how many contractors and other vendors Trump has sued out of business rather than paying legitimate contracts.

Brown will be going balls to the walls in OH. Biden will be there and in PA.

Also, Trump is saying he's going to spend money in CA and NY. He's not going to get the bucks he needs. Wasting time and money is going to hurt him in PA, OH and FL.

I will be shocked if Hillary doesn't get 315-330 EVs. It's going to be over very early.

0% chance the bold happens.

0% chance the bold happens.

I should have said some. When it's shown that he doesn't pay people and is lying about jobs, many will run away.

Of course, that's assuming, Carville,et al, hit Trump on the BS about him bringing jobs back and paying well.

CA Senate primary: Harris-40, Sanchez-19, Sundheim-8%. Top 'Pub got less than half of the second place Dem. Two minority women and no 'Pub on the November Senate ballot will depress Trump turnout.

May not matter if Trump doesn't listen to anyone, but he desperately needs some political pros around him. Huge waste of time to have spent five days in CA rather than in NJ or general election swing states. Also a mistake to be endorsing Ellmers (or anyone for that matter) in a swing state House primary between sitting GOP incumbents. Why let voters know you can't move the needle in a state you'll need in November?

I should have said some. When it's shown that he doesn't pay people and is lying about jobs, many will run away.

Of course, that's assuming, Carville,et al, hit Trump on the BS about him bringing jobs back and paying well.

Sorry, RJ, but Trump supporters don't care about facts and data. It will be very hard to change their minds. The key to beating him is convincing enough people that they should vote against him.

Back