• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Democratic Candidates for POTUS, 2016 edition

The behind by 3 million votes line is not quite accurate because it does not count individual votes from caucus states where Bernie did well.

How much of Hillary's margin comes from her virtually monolithic black vote in southern states that she has no chance to carry in November? And black votes from large cities like Philadelphia & NYC, etc. in other states as well?

My guess is that these votes probably account for basically all of her margin....maybe even more than all of her margin.

So I'm not sure that her margin in the primaries means very much in the general election. The polls seem to think the same thing, since Bernie runs better against Trump than she does in every poll that I have seen during this entire process.

Obama's an affable guy, but he's competitive and relishes going after opponents he doesn't like. Didn't like HRC, was OK with McCain, but hates Mitt and Trump. Loved tweaking Mitt with a picture of Trump's plane in the background of 2012 ads.

Nothing's going to get done between now and November and Obama's chomping at the bit to take shots at Trump. Warren and Cuban are the same way. Obama doesn't love the Clintons, but hates Trump and cares about his legacy. Obama will campaign in NV, CO, WI, NH, and IA. They'll use Biden in PA, OH, and MI. Unless and until Trump gets a decent VP, he doesn't have surrogates who can get any traction in swing states.

People often underestimate how effective Joe Biden is. People love Uncle Joe and he is great with them.

How much of Hillary's margin comes from her virtually monolithic black vote in southern states that she has no chance to carry in November? And black votes from large cities like Philadelphia & NYC, etc. in other states as well?

My guess is that these votes probably account for basically all of her margin....maybe even more than all of her margin.

So I'm not sure that her margin in the primaries means very much in the general election. The polls seem to think the same thing, since Bernie runs better against Trump than she does in every poll that I have seen during this entire process.

Voting blocs you don't like, don't count. Got it.

BTW #stayoffbobslawn

#blackvotesdontmatter

How much of Sander's support came from white votes in caucus western states that he has no chance to carry in November?

The Dems have a much better chance at picking off some southern states than they do winning Nebraska, Idaho or Wyoming.

When will OWGs stand up against these OWG on OWG crimes against humor?

Two of those states held non-binding primaries and Clinton won both. Nebraska and Washington. 538 did an analysis presuming every state was open primary based on demographics, and the results would be about the same.

Berniebots seem to hate Nate.

Bernie has lost the Democratic nomination...that much has been obvious since before the first vote was cast. Bernie Bros (I fucking hate that term but whatever) should start to think strategically about their vote in the general election this fall. In states where Hillary has no chance (e.g., Mississippi, Alabama, Wyoming, etc.) and the Green Party candidate, Jill Stein (who has an almost identical platform to Bernie but with different emphasis), is on the Ballot, Bernie Bros should consider voting for her or some other liberal third party. If Hillary loses Mississippi to Trump by 30 points with .05% going to a third party is Electoral College-wise no different than Hillary losing Mississippi by 42 points with 12% going to a liberal third, except maybe if a liberal third party gets about 2% of the national popular vote we can start to chisel away at the fortifications that the moneyed interests built into our electoral system.

...actually, who am I kidding, our electoral system is rigged and there is nothing we can do about it...vote for whoever you want, it only matters if you live in Florida or Ohio.

No chance? I think this election may rival what Obama did to McCain.

Remember, hundreds of thousands of votes in CA were mailed in a while ago.

My polling station was virtually empty.

Bernie has lost the Democratic nomination...that much has been obvious since before the first vote was cast. Bernie Bros (I fucking hate that term but whatever) should start to think strategically about their vote in the general election this fall. In states where Hillary has no chance (e.g., Mississippi, Alabama, Wyoming, etc.) and the Green Party candidate, Jill Stein (who has an almost identical platform to Bernie but with different emphasis), is on the Ballot, Bernie Bros should consider voting for her or some other liberal third party. If Hillary loses Mississippi to Trump by 30 points with .05% going to a third party is Electoral College-wise no different than Hillary losing Mississippi by 42 points with 12% going to a liberal third, except maybe if a liberal third party gets about 2% of the national popular vote we can start to chisel away at the fortifications that the moneyed interests built into our electoral system.

...actually, who am I kidding, our electoral system is rigged and there is nothing we can do about it...vote for whoever you want, it only matters if you live in Florida or Ohio.

VA, NC, OH, PA, NV, CO, NH and maybe a few others wave hello too. And there are down ballot races as well in other states. But you also have a potentially more viable choice than Stein. Stein ain't getting 1% no matter what. Johnson is already polling at 10%. The more unpopular Drumpf and Clinton become, the more he could possibly be seen as a viable alternative, especially if he can get to 15% and get into the debates. Now I realize Johnson is not the economic cup of tea that Sanders backers prefer, but socially and when it comes to foreign policy, he's very similar to Sanders. And he's the 1 decent human remaining who will get > 1%. Just throwing that out there.

Not that anyone around here cares, but Friday night, I changed my voter registration from R to D after registering R as a stupid 18 year-old and never bothering to change it.

Not that anyone around here cares, but Friday night, I changed my voter registration from R to D after registering R as a stupid 18 year-old and never bothering to change it.

Does that make you feel less or more in need of a shower?

Back