• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Democratic Candidates for POTUS, 2016 edition

Timing doesn't work for Obama. He'll be 55 when he leaves office and he'll want to decompress, write a book, and make some money. HRC would rather appoint someone in their late 40s/early 50s. Even if Dems control the Senate, they won't have 60 votes. Someone like Cruz or Sessions could still filibuster his nomination. Didn't think it was possible, but Hillary could be treated worse than Obama. With Trump in the race, Hillary may put up a bigger electoral college total than Obama, but she'll win with less than a majority of the popular vote.

Summon the Feelings Police, we have a Code Six Persecution Complex in progress...

Saban has some thoughts on the field:

CK7y-y8WsAESMdD.jpg

Yeah amongst registered voters Sanders would beat Trump by 21%, Walker by 5%, and would only lose to Jeb by one percent.

Wow that's really surprising. I would expect that he would have been up on Trump but I would expect Walker and Jeb to be up by 10-20+ points on him. Walker and Jeb are relatively moderate Republicans who I would chalk up as a run-of-the-mill GOP candidate.

Last edited:
Have always thought that Hillary could win, but not Bernie or Biden. Obviously need to see more data, but curious what Warren's numbers would be. If there's more than one Dem path to the White House, HRC and the 'Pubs are hosed.

There's only one Dem path the the WH but it doesn't really matter who the nominee is: decent economic growth between now and election day #fundamentals

The only route is being the Democratic nominee. I feel very strongly after seeing the polls and favorability that if the Dems put up anyone that is either named Clinton or is remotely likable, the election was over yesterday. People continue to overestimate the disdain for Hillary and overestimate the number of moderates and independents who will pull the trigger on a Bush, Walker, or Trump GOP nomination.

There's only one Dem path the the WH but it doesn't really matter who the nominee is: decent economic growth between now and election day #fundamentals

Dems need to have a strong message that doesn't shy away from Obama's accomplishments. They'll most likely have a wimpy, distanced message, however.

Wow that's really surprising. I would expect that he would have been up on Trump but I would expect Walker and Jeb to be up by 10-20+ points on him. Walker and Jeb are relatively moderate Republicans who I would chalk up as a run-of-the-mill GOP candidate.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you label Walker as a moderate?

Walker has to be the most anti-labor major party candidate in years.

Liberal base can't understand Walker and the Tea Party base can't understand HRC. Neither are polling highly because of their inherent merit, they're doing well because people really dislike their opponents/alternatives. Neither are beloved charismatic superstars. Neither labor not the Tea Party are stand alone political parties. Labor kinda knows that, but the Tea Party still thinks they're America's silent majority.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you label Walker as a moderate?

Strikes me as an establishment guy with a hint of extremism (labor issues are very very far to the right). Maybe "moderate" objectively the right word, but compared to the rest of the party and candidates I get the feeling he's pretty moderate. In his defense on the labor issues though I read that he didn't want to declare Wisconsin a right-to-work state and said he wouldn't sign it but then did so after the GOP passed the legislation - now he seems to be pimping it as if he promoted it wholly.

It does look like that he would be the most conservative GOP candidate in quite some time if he's nominated though.

Strikes me as an establishment guy with a hint of extremism (labor issues are very very far to the right). Maybe "moderate" objectively the right word, but compared to the rest of the party and candidates I get the feeling he's pretty moderate. In his defense on the labor issues though I read that he didn't want to declare Wisconsin a right-to-work state and said he wouldn't sign it but then did so after the GOP passed the legislation - now he seems to be pimping it as if he promoted it wholly.

It does look like that he would be the most conservative GOP candidate in quite some time if he's nominated though.

I feel like he gets lumped in with moderates because he hasn't said a whole bunch of crazy stuff. But, on top of the labor issues, he wants to expand the military, send troops to the Middle East, he cut education funding, gave a $250MM handout to billionaire team owners / political donors (I guess that part makes him moderate since everyone does it?), thinks there is too much legal immigration and they're taking our jobs (that may be pandering since he's said before that we should make it easier to enter the country legally), supports a personhood amendment, supports a marriage amendment, cut funding for renewable energy research… he doesn't support mass deportation of illegal immigrants, though. So there's that!

Edit: this is all from the On The Issues site, which places him here:

s010_080.gif

Ahhh On The Issues is what I was trying to find earlier to look him up and I couldn't remember the site. It's not fool-proof but it's good at placing people relative to one another and pretty objectively on the conservative/libertarian scale.

Yeah I guess I just thought he was moderate since he hasn't been THAT stupid publicly.

China and the EU not collapsing in the next 6-12 months locks up a Dem in the WH Feb 2017.

You people are thinking too much. I've said it before, I will say it again, it's the truth in America today. Scott Walker is too ugly to be elected President.

Back