• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

deplorables - alt perspective

beatrix

miserable fan
Reaction score
not thread-worthy, but i thought some of our friends would enjoy reading it... apologies if this has already been linked

shamelessly stolen from behind the WSJ's paywall -- http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-deplorables-arent-so-bad-once-you-get-to-know-us-1484353087

The ‘Deplorables’ Aren’t So Bad, Once You Get to Know Us
If you’ve lost your bearings in Trump’s America, your conservative friend can help you find them.

By Lou Weiss
Updated Jan. 13, 2017 7:23 p.m. ET
207 COMMENTS

Since the shocking presidential election result, many people have approached me with quizzical expressions, some with tears in their eyes. I live among the adorables, but I think like a deplorable. To them I am that most exotic creature—a conservative Republican—and they really seem to want to understand the mind-set of those who voted for Donald Trump (or, like me, weren’t heartbroken when he won). Some have felt the need to hug me as if to embrace that half of America from which they feel estranged.

I realize that as the excuses pile up for Hillary Clinton’s loss this curiosity might be fleeting, so I try my best to teach my curious grasshoppers. And since we conservatives are the biggest givers, I want to share with other adorable readers what may motivate the actions of a deplorable. Even though we may not have met, I’m happy to be that token guy you can call “my conservative friend Lou.”

You might begin by considering the effect of your nomenclature. Calling people racists, homophobes, bigots and other such labels doesn’t endear the name caller to the recipient. Try descriptors like traditional and hardworking. Better. It’s amazing, I know, but people don’t like being reduced to a negative cultural stereotype.

Now we are ready for a field trip. Rather than going on that “fact finding” trip to Cuba or Venezuela, how about a trip to Iowa or Nebraska? Too remote? Might I suggest Pittsburgh, my beloved hometown, where a five-minute drive in any direction from city limits puts you in Trump country? You can take a day trip out and return to your comfy high-rise hotel bed by evening. We even have hipster redoubts populated with Brooklyn expats. The beards, the flannel shirts and the abundance of heritage pork dishes will make you feel like you are in Appalachia even before you leave the city.

Try to find some subjects that you might discuss should you ever meet a Trump voter. Familiarize yourself with Big 12 football. You have a buddy who went to Wisconsin and a couple of friends from Michigan, so knowing the Big Ten is no big deal, but knowing that Oklahoma State is the home of the Cowboys will earn you major points. When you travel, attend a church service at least one denomination to the right of your regular church. Maybe watch or rewatch “American Sniper” rather than your usual mumblecore or IFC fare. Also don’t expect people you meet to commiserate over “Hamilton” ticket prices or know what cisgender means.

You may not know this, but deplorables are all around you—they might even be working in your own home. Deplorables know how to fix things. See that guy over there working on your leaky faucet? Ask him about his politics. The nurse in your doctor’s office? Ask her, too. Many of the people who make your life so exquisite probably disagree with you, so unless you are handy with a double-box wrench, don’t be too quick to label them Neanderthals. They know your liberal politics by the material posted on your fridge but are way too tolerant to confront you on the topic. They are also too polite to walk out on you. Car trouble? Don’t even go there.

Also: No more boycotts. Have you ever tried Chick-fil-A? Delicious! When I go to the hospital I don’t ask whether my room is on a wing donated by George Soros or David Koch. I once had a liberal customer who so abhorred my views on Israel that he passed on the excellent value that I was offering on a wool Berber broadloom carpet. He went elsewhere for a hideous synthetic knockoff.

Deplorables are people too. Their kids make them proud and drive them crazy. They eat kielbasa and even kale. Some laugh at “Seinfeld” and some like opera. Some are atheists and some go to church. Please understand that—just like you—deplorables lead lives that are mysterious and wonderful, tragic and joyful, and invariably complex.

Sometimes they have different ideas about how to solve the problems that afflict our society, but that doesn’t make them evil. As the signs at the rallies said: Love conquers hate. So show a little love to your deplorable sisters and brothers and remember that in the Midwest, while love can conquer hate, the Steelers almost always conquer the Browns.

Mr. Weiss is a carpet salesman in Pittsburgh.

Would like to read more about the different ideas

As much as the Pubs want it to be true - she wasn't calling conservatives deplorable.

She was calling racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, and Islamaphobic people deplorable.

That's not what she meant in using that term and if you are being honest, you'd admit it. It was directed at the legions of white supremacists that had endorsed Trump not the generic conservatives or the scammed working class voters who supported Trump. The attempt to portray all Trump voters as deplorables is lazy, dishonest and an ultimate endeavor of partisan hacks.

That's not what she meant in using that term and if you are being honest, you'd admit it. It was directed at the legions of white supremacists that had endorsed Trump not the generic conservatives or the scammed working class voters who supported Trump. The attempt to portray all Trump voters as deplorables is lazy, dishonest and an ultimate endeavor of partisan hacks.

Not all. Just half.

For a Christian, or really any decent person who believes in redemption, the fact she also called them "irredeemable" was a bridge too far.

Is Hillary Clinton redeemable?

All people are redeemable. Maybe not electable. Even so, I imagine Hillary could be elected mayor of NY City. She would be infinitely better than that nut job Bill de Blasio.

All people are redeemable. Maybe not electable. Even so, I imagine Hillary could be elected mayor of NY City. She would be infinitely better than that nut job Bill de Blasio.

Wasn't asking you. I want the deuce to answer the question.

Hey Uncle Frank, do you think that 50% of the people who voted for Trump are white supremacists?

Hillary and her ilk have been working hard for decades to divide us and it's up to President Trump to make the nation whole again.

Hey Uncle Frank, do you think that 50% of the people who voted for Trump are white supremacists?

Bob, the Quisling, you get pretty close to 50% when you consider 40% of Republicans think Obama is a Kenyan Muslim. This is based entirely in ignorance, irrational hatred and racism.

You can't deny the wide and vocal support of Trump by nearly every major white supremacist group in the US. You can't deny the fact that the CEO of the largest outlet that supports white supremacy and the alt-right movement was the CEO of the Trump Campaign and now is Trump's Senior Advisor in the WH.

I know you want to tap dance around the fact that white supremacists played a major part in electing Trump, but you can't if you are being 1% honest.

I must apologize. The Quisling actually admitted to being a traitor to everything he ever believed in to give himself power, but you won't.

Last edited:
Bob, the Quisling, you get pretty close to 50% when you consider 40% of Republicans think Obama is a Kenyan Muslim. This is based entirely in ignorance, irrational hatred and racism.

You can't deny the wide and vocal support of Trump by nearly every major white supremacist group in the US. You can't deny the fact that the CEO of the largest outlet that supports white supremacy and the alt-right movement was the CEO of the Trump Campaign and now is Trump's Senior Advisor in the WH.

I know you want to tap dance around the fact that white supremacists played a major part in electing Trump, but you can't if you are being 1% honest.

I must apologize. The Quisling actually admitted to being a traitor to everything he ever believed in to give himself power, but you won't.

That question didn't require a soliloquy. A simple yes or no would do. I simply wanted to know whether you thought that 50% of Trump voters were white supremacists...since that is what you said Hillary meant when she made her infamous comment. Evidently, your answer is "yes", though you didn't seem to want to answer the question. It is ironic that you accuse me of tap dancing around anything as you take three paragraphs to give a non-answer to a question that requires only a simple yes or no.

By the way, I don't have any idea what The Quisling is, but I am familiar with Uncle Frank. We all know an Uncle Frank. He is the guy who has gone to the restroom when the waitress brings the check for the dinner.

Hillary separated Trump supporters into three groups.

1. Hard working people who are frustrated.
2. Hateful people who do deplorable things.
3. #2 who are also irredeemable.

The conservative messaging machine excelled at getting #1 to believe she called them #3.

That question didn't require a soliloquy. A simple yes or no would do. I simply wanted to know whether you thought that 50% of Trump voters were white supremacists...since that is what you said Hillary meant when she made her infamous comment. Evidently, your answer is "yes", though you didn't seem to want to answer the question. It is ironic that you accuse me of tap dancing around anything as you take three paragraphs to give a non-answer to a question that requires only a simple yes or no.

By the way, I don't have any idea what The Quisling is, but I am familiar with Uncle Frank. We all know an Uncle Frank. He is the guy who has gone to the restroom when the waitress brings the check for the dinner.

You say you know history but you don't know who Quisling was. WOW!!!

DEF: "a traitor who collaborates with an enemy force occupying their country.
synonyms: collaborator, colluder, sympathizer; traitor, turncoat, backstabber, double-crosser, defector, Judas, snake in the grass, fifth columnist"

The real one was in Norway in WWII. You happen to want to do the same in NC.

Hillary separated Trump supporters into three groups.

1. Hard working people who are frustrated.
2. Hateful people who do deplorable things.
3. #2 who are also irredeemable.

The conservative messaging machine excelled at getting #1 to believe she called them #3.

She said "half of Trump's supporters", PH. I will ask you the same question that I asked Uncle Frank....do you think that half of the people who voted for Trump are "irredeemable deplorables"? That's more than 31 million people, if Hillary is to be taken at her word.

Back