• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Depressing State of Wake Basketball and football program?

ProbationDeac

Reaction score
Has there been a time before when there was a more depressing feeling surrounding our mens basketball and football programs? The most vocal fans want Bz, Wellman, Grobe (at the very least Lobo), and his staff fired ASAP. I am not saying there aren't valid reasons for wanting those folks in our athletic department fired.

In our recent history, the year after CP3 left, our football team went to the Orange Bowl and that was a lot to get excited about. When the football team came back down, you had the AT&T class, number 1 ranking in basketball, back to back NCAA appearances. Now the general feeling is the only thing to get excited about is if all the people listed above are canned ASAP.

To those with more perspective then myself, has there been a time where there was this much of a negative feeling surrounding those programs?

Has there been a time before when there was a more depressing feeling surrounding our mens basketball and football programs? The most vocal fans want Bz, Wellman, Grobe (at the very least Lobo), and his staff fired ASAP. I am not saying there aren't valid reasons for wanting those folks in our athletic department fired.

In our recent history, the year after CP3 left, our football team went to the Orange Bowl and that was a lot to get excited about. When the football team came back down, you had the AT&T class, number 1 ranking in basketball, back to back NCAA appearances. Now the general feeling is the only thing to get excited about is if all the people listed above are canned ASAP.

To those with more perspective then myself, has there been a time where there was this much of a negative feeling surrounding those programs?

You can always tell the young'uns can't you?

Hmm, let's see - we had the end of the Odom era and Caldwell era, but at least we were making NIT worst case scenario. The 89-90 season was pretty bad for both - Dooley's 3rd year and Odom's first. Football was pretty good Staak's last 2 years (7-4, 6-4-1), so maybe 84-85 (I think was an NIT year), 85-86 and 86-87?

That said, I'm pretty optimistic about football still. This fall will speak volumes about the state of the program. This is a statement year for all involved.

Which is why Wellman should be fired.

Wellman also oversaw the ascension of our football program to more than just homecoming fodder and hired Skip, which laid the groundwork for the basketball team to become #1 in the country and have lofty postseason expectations for the first time since Duncan left. And in general, the rise of our olympic sports (with some exceptions and some year-to-year variance on success). And the building of Deacon Tower. And a new golf facility. And the purchase and renovation of the baseball stadium.

We're certainly in a down time right now, and I think some changes need to be made, either in personnel or in the attitude of the personnel we have. I personally don't think we should get rid of Wellman. His overall body of work is still damn impressive to everyone except TheReff.

Wellman also oversaw the ascension of our football program to more than just homecoming fodder and hired Skip, which laid the groundwork for the basketball team to become #1 in the country and have lofty postseason expectations for the first time since Duncan left. And in general, the rise of our olympic sports (with some exceptions and some year-to-year variance on success). And the building of Deacon Tower. And a new golf facility. And the purchase and renovation of the baseball stadium.

We're certainly in a down time right now, and I think some changes need to be made, either in personnel or in the attitude of the personnel we have. I personally don't think we should get rid of Wellman. His overall body of work is still damn impressive to everyone except TheReff.

The same can be said for the downfall of the program. It is his fault, and his alone, that we are in the situation we are in. He f'd up, he should be fired.....

It works that way everywhere else in the world.... If you f up, you're fired. Point blank.

Buzz u suck, Wellman u suck, grobe u are ok of a coach. At least try to go for it on 4 and inches not punt it away... COME ON JIM!

OK. I'll give him a chance. Fire [Redacted] and sign Shaka or a similar A list coach or be fired.

As I said before the 2011 season started, if we didn't get 18 wins this year, [Redacted] should be fired within 24 hours of our season ending. If Wellman doesn't do that then he and [Redacted] should be fired by noon of the following day.

He has no excuse not to fire [Redacted] and if he doesn't he has shown he doesn't deserve to be AD.

Buzz will probably get a contract extension just because they beat a very very very lost Miami team.

Which is why Wellman should be fired.

Just getting rid of Odom & Greer alone should have done it. You don't get rid of 5 ACC titles just because the ego says you want to put your own coaches in place.

Okay, my 2 cents. Yes our football program is trending downward and it concerns me, but to be honest I still feel much about our football program now than I did in the 80's and 90's. As far as basketball, yeah it sucks too, but I do like the talent level this year and I honestly think once we get a competent coach we will start ascending again. It just depends on how long Wellman or the BOT or whatever wants to let this continue with [Redacted].

Last year was much more depressing in both sports for me. We're either on our way back up or a year closer to major coaching changes now.

OK. I'll give him a chance. Fire [Redacted] and sign Shaka or a similar A list coach or be fired.

As I said before the 2011 season started, if we didn't get 18 wins this year, [Redacted] should be fired within 24 hours of our season ending. If Wellman doesn't do that then he and [Redacted] should be fired by noon of the following day.
He has no excuse not to fire [Redacted] and if he doesn't he has shown he doesn't deserve to be AD.

This is not plausible. I want them held accountable also, but if your hoping for this scenario then your an idiot. Wellman would never keep [Redacted] if he knew there was a chance he would be fired as a result. If Wellman keeps Bz, then he obviously knows his job is 100% secure. I'm pretty sure Wellman's enough of a selfish prick to first secure his job by doing everything under the approval of Hatch (or whoever is really in power). Wellman's not just some rebel who's making decisions based soley on what he wants to do; I think he's carrying out some sort of plan to cleanse the athletic program of any more public "embarrassments", with winning being a very low priority.

Just getting rid of Odom & Greer alone should have done it. You don't get rid of 5 ACC titles just because the ego says you want to put your own coaches in place.

Sigh. Not this crap again.

Hmm, let's see - we had the end of the Odom era and Caldwell era, but at least we were making NIT worst case scenario. The 89-90 season was pretty bad for both - Dooley's 3rd year and Odom's first. Football was pretty good Staak's last 2 years (7-4, 6-4-1), so maybe 84-85 (I think was an NIT year), 85-86 and 86-87?

That said, I'm pretty optimistic about football still. This fall will speak volumes about the state of the program. This is a statement year for all involved.

I'm in my mid-30s and these dates are 10 years before I stepped on campus.

And back then, it probably wasn't as depressing because people weren't really expecting Wake to compete for championships.

I'm in my mid-30s and these dates are 10 years before I stepped on campus.

And back then, it probably wasn't as depressing because people weren't really expecting Wake to compete for championships.

You have a point, but there's 2 sides to that though. Back then, I thought there was no way under the sun we could compete for a championship in football, that was pretty depressing really. At least I know now it's possible.

I'd give him until a week after our season ends to get rid of [Redacted] (one way or another). I don't see it happening while the ACCT is still going on, and nearly all the coaches we'll be chasing will probably be in the NCAAT anyway, so you're not going to make a hire right away.

RJ, who else (realistically, not names like Izzo or Donovan) is on your A list besides Shaka?

Back