• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Depressing State of Wake Basketball and football program?

I guess some forget how consistently terrible we were in football pre-2006. I've accepted the fact that for the most part, we'll float between mediocre and below average in football. Basketball, on the other hand, is a whole other animal. We have the potential to be an elite basketball program but not with these clowns running the show. And that does make me depressed.

I guess some forget how consistently terrible we were in football pre-2006. I've accepted the fact that for the most part, we'll float between mediocre and below average in football. Basketball, on the other hand, is a whole other animal. We have the potential to be an elite basketball program but not with these clowns running the show. And that does make me depressed.

Both of those are depressing. We're not striving toward excellence.

It was worse two years ago.

Yeah....like the 23-year period from 1956 thru 1978, for example. During those 23 years we only had 3 winning seasons...and they were only 6-5 in 1970 & 1971 and 6-4 in 1959. We won 3 or fewer games in 16 of those 23 years.

We would regularly play 3 or 4 home games.

I'm in my mid-30s and these dates are 10 years before I stepped on campus.

And back then, it probably wasn't as depressing because people weren't really expecting Wake to compete for championships.

Hadn't the basketball team very recently gone to the Elite Eight?

But yes, today is pretty bad.

Yep, I was there one year with Pic. (Age isn't anything but a number, though. You're only as old as you think & feel. We '60s liberals stay young at heart! :))

My dad was on one of the early wake post cards. I still have that thing.

Didn't picture postcards start in the mid-19th century?

This is somewhat relevant:

jqi3Nnh.png

our football team has been much worse bball not so much in my time as a fan.

Wow, love this memo from ex-Groupon CEO. Edited for Wellman . . .

"People of Wake Forest,
After 21 intense and wonderful years as AD, I've decided that I'd like to spend more time with my family. Just kidding - I was fired today. If you're wondering why... you haven't been paying attention. From controversial metrics in our basketball and football programs to our material weakness to three years of missing our own expectations and a reputation that's been tarnished, the events of the last 3 years speak for themselves. As AD, I am accountable.
You are doing amazing things at Wake Forest, and you deserve the outside world to give you another chance. I'm getting in the way of that. A fresh AD earns you that chance. The board is aligned behind the strategy we've shared over the last few months, and I've never seen you working together more effectively as a university family - it's time to give Wake a relief valve from the public noise.
If there's one piece of wisdom that this simple pilgrim would like to impart upon you: have the courage to start with the alumni and fan base. My biggest regrets are the moments that I let my intuition override a lack of data on what's best for Mother So Dear. This leadership change gives you some breathing room to break bad habits and deliver sustainable success - don't waste the opportunity!
I will miss you terribly."

I remember in 2006/7 having a conversation with NO BARE FEET that we were so lucky because we were on the cusp of a Wake Sports Renaissance that no Wake fans in the last 100 years have experienced. I think I jinxed us.

I remember in 2006/7 having a conversation with NO BARE FEET that we were so lucky because we were on the cusp of a Wake Sports Renaissance that no Wake fans in the last 100 years have experienced. I think I jinxed us.

Damn you.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to vtwhat etc again.
This happens way too often. Great work, vt.

Back