• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Desmond Clark Faces Misdemeanor Charges (Race-related)

Just to be clear, you can be charged with assault without touching someone. In most jurisdictions, an assault can be merely an apprehension or fear of physical harm. When you put your hands on someone, it rises to a battery.

No idea what happened, but they could have charged them with assault for just scaring or threatening people. However, if a person doesn't verbally threaten physical harm, i.e. cock a fist back, point a weapon at someone, etc., which, from the article, it doesn't sound like happened, then the case gets reeeeaaaallly weak.

If that is the case, then it is pretty fucking weaksauce to charge with assault and disturbing the peace, especially since it appears that the incident concluded with no one suffering any harm except hurt feelings.

The Clarks are probably guilty of overzealously defending their child who probably doesn't have completely clean hands either, but that happens all the time in public high schools in the age of helicopter parents. Getting the police involved is just fucking silly.

My prediction is charges are dropped and apology from school.

I've known Dez for about 3 years. We live 5 minutes from one another in the North Chicago suburbs. We talk, text or see one another face-to-face every week or two. I've known few people with the strength of character and genuine kindness that he shows. He is a regular guy. No, actually he's an extraordinary guy who takes a genuine, personal interest in people.

When he told me what happened, it shook my world. This means that my little hamlet here has this sort of racism going on. Right here. It's really a shame. Sad thing is, until he told me, I had no idea.

Pull for him, guys and girls. He is a good one.

NBF

He was provoked. Strongly. While it doesn't excuse his son's actions, the way the school has reacted is entirely inappropriate.

He was provoked. Strongly. While it doesn't excuse his son's actions, the way the school has reacted is entirely inappropriate.

What did his son do?

What's the background on this story. We are missing some info.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/...harges-vernon-hills-say-theyve-victims-racism

-------
Clark said he and his wife rushed to the north suburban high school on Aug. 29 after his son called them saying an administrator demeaned him in front of other students.

Their son was part of a lip-sync team competing in a Saturday event at the school. But he was unable to perform because of an earlier violation of the school’s code of conduct, Clark said.

The team wanted to recognize the 17-year-old student for his contribution to the team, but the administrator refused, Clark said.

“She told our son, ‘This is an activity for good students who make good decisions.’ He said, ‘Am I a criminal because I made one mistake?’ and she said, ‘If he wants to act like a criminal, he can get out.’ ”

At the school, Clark’s wife confronted the administrator, repeatedly asking, “What did you say to my son?” according to Clark.

Clark said he gave an “impassioned speech about how our family has been treated.”

“I said, ‘Hey, we are so sick and tired of being singled out in this community. My son has been called a n—– repeatedly at school and was told his family hangs from trees — and was treated like a criminal. This needs to stop.’ ”

Clark said dozens — if not hundreds — of people heard his tirade, and many of them clapped.

He said he called the police and after they arrived, he left with his wife and son without any trouble.

Clark, 38, said he was notified about a week ago that he and his wife face charges in the incident.
--------

Nobody seems to want to say. Gigantic red flag to me when nobody wants to tell the complete story. Why not just lay the whole thing out there without pulling any punches if there is nothing to hide? The truth can stand on its own.

LOOK AT MEEEEEEE

bkf, first, what do you think Clark's son could have done that would justify such treatment?

Second, feel free to write a nasty email to the Sun Times and other Chicago media asking them to report the "whole story."

bkf, first, what do you think Clark's son could have done that would justify such treatment?

Second, feel free to write a nasty email to the Sun Times and other Chicago media asking them to report the "whole story."

At the risk of seemingly agreeing with BKF it seems the terrible things being said and done were from the "community" and not the school official who did something that happens all the time which is to hold a student out of an extracurricular activity for a conduct violation.

Why am I not surprised that bkf is blaming the family here?

Ridiculous. Where did he blame the family? He is simply try to learn more facts and has not suggested anywhere that the Clarks don't deserve to be defended against these particular charges. This kind of reaction is why it's becoming impossible to have reasonable, common-sense discussions about incidents like this.

Well the reason the whole story hasn't come out is due to pending litigation. Doesn't sound like a cover up deserving an inference one way or the other. BKF just making generalizations as he is prone to do.

Ridiculous. Where did he blame the family? He is simply try to learn more facts and has not suggested anywhere that the Clarks don't deserve to be defended against these particular charges. This kind of reaction is why it's becoming impossible to have reasonable, common-sense discussions about incidents like this.

My bad. The school should definitely wait for more facts to come out before addressing the fact that he's being called the N word at school.

My bad. The school should definitely wait for more facts to come out before addressing the fact that he's being called the N word at school.

What does that have to do with bkf's posts?

You are the one who should wait for more facts before you start throwing out accusations at anyone about anything. You don't have any idea who said what to anybody or who did what to anybody.....yet you come on here ranting about the situation based on 2nd & 3rd hand information from people on just one side of the situation.

Welcome to the internet.

Just to be clear, you can be charged with assault without touching someone. In most jurisdictions, an assault can be merely an apprehension or fear of physical harm. When you put your hands on someone, it rises to a battery.

No idea what happened, but they could have charged them with assault for just scaring or threatening people. However, if a person doesn't verbally threaten physical harm, i.e. cock a fist back, point a weapon at someone, etc., which, from the article, it doesn't sound like happened, then the case gets reeeeaaaallly weak.

If that is the case, then it is pretty fucking weaksauce to charge with assault and disturbing the peace, especially since it appears that the incident concluded with no one suffering any harm except hurt feelings.

The Clarks are probably guilty of overzealously defending their child who probably doesn't have completely clean hands either, but that happens all the time in public high schools in the age of helicopter parents. Getting the police involved is just fucking silly.

My prediction is charges are dropped and apology from school.

DING! DING! DING! - We have a winner!

Nobody seems to want to say. Gigantic red flag to me when nobody wants to tell the complete story. Why not just lay the whole thing out there without pulling any punches if there is nothing to hide? The truth can stand on its own.

That's a great question for the school/government. They're the one bringing the charges.

Back