• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Desolation of Smaug

Find the posters from this thread at summer camp:

lotrnerds2.jpg

lol awesome, inconsistencies with the books

i'll never forgive Jackson for ruining Faramir

lol awesome, inconsistencies with the books

i'll never forgive Jackson for ruining Faramir

what was so bad about Faramir? I thought he did a decent job with that character.

I loved the LOTR movies. Have not seen Desolation of Smaug. My beef with the first Hobbit movie was that the Dwarves were all killer badass warriors who could cut their way through legions of goblins. That is very, very different from the book, where they are basically bumbling cowards who Bilbo has to rescue all the time. It takes a lot away from the character of Bilbo when the Dwarves are superheroes.

Faramir was special in the book because he was everything that Boromir was not, most importantly, he had the Ring in his grasp, saw the power/danger and declined it willingly, something previously only accomplished by Gandalf and Galadriel (two of the most powerful beings in Middle Earth. He understood the necessity of the mission and Frodo carrying it alone and aided him without any of the nonsense about taking him back to his father to prove his worth or any of that shit). The movie made him a bitter and a whiner. He wasn't any better than Boromir, the 'golden child', in the movie.

Boromir was proud and wanted to serve eagerly, but had the weakness of his forefathers and strove from a position of power. Faramir was the unheralded son, but the wiser.

basically jackson just wasted a character, IMO, to have a slow-mo Frodo face to face with a nazgul

Last edited:
I actually think there was a lot of the Faramir you describe in Jackson's LOTR

Didn't watch the first, can I jump in and watch the second? Don't know the hobbit story but watched all lotr

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

i didn't say he dispensed with all of the Faramir's traits, just made a decision to undermine the character

If that small detail is one of your main beefs with the LOTR movies then I think that's just more proof that Jackson did a HELL of a job. Yes there were more than a few instances where he strayed from the books (Elves at Helms Deep, no Eowyn/Faramir love story, Elrond bringing Aragorn Narsil (Anduril) near the end of RotK instead of him having it throughout the books etc..) but personally those were all things I could look past in the grand scheme of things. As a LOTR buff I argue that if Jackson can make the Hobbit into a trilogy why couldn't he make the LOTR into nine movies? I know it would never happen but the thought is nice...

well, if we want to talk about creative decisions & qualms Re: LOTR/The Hobbit, I'm sure I could go nuts. Like I thought having the elves at Helms Deep was pretty dumb and unnecessary. It didn't really change the story but I thought it shortchanged the capabilities of Men in ME. Also, where did they all go by the end? were they all dead?

well, if we want to talk about creative decisions & qualms Re: LOTR/The Hobbit, I'm sure I could go nuts. Like I thought having the elves at Helms Deep was pretty dumb and unnecessary. It didn't really change the story but I thought it shortchanged the capabilities of Men in ME. Also, where did they all go by the end? were they all dead?

Yes they did kind of just disappear after the battle without explanation. That whole plot change was probably the most major deviation in my mind. The elves turned their backs on men the entire series, with Elrond, Arwen, and Galadriel being the few who aided them whatsoever. I never understood why he threw in the Haldir narrative. But you gotta admit, when those elves fired their bows from the below the battlements and they flew past Aragorn's head and he didn't even flinch you had a chubby..

Yes they did kind of just disappear after the battle without explanation. That whole plot change was probably the most major deviation in my mind. The elves turned their backs on men the entire series, with Elrond, Arwen, and Galadriel being the few who aided them whatsoever. I never understood why he threw in the Haldir narrative. But you gotta admit, when those elves fired their bows from the below the battlements and they flew past Aragorn's head and he didn't even flinch you had a chubby..

of course; i loved the movies. i really don't have a complaint about them in general; just a fanboi's nitpicks

Didn't watch the first, can I jump in and watch the second? Don't know the hobbit story but watched all lotr

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

You'll be pretty confused. Hell, I'm sort of confused even after watching the two movies and having read all the books.

If anything, I'm pissed at Dwarves. They sent ONE, ONE DUDE to help against Sauron/Sarumon.

Asshats, esp after what happens in the Hobbit.

well, the dwarves didn't help in the first war against Mordor, either. Some serious bad blood between Elves & Dwarves. Also, the movies don't discuss it, but the Dwarves of the Iron Mts/Lonely Mountain do take part in the assaults on Sauron's allies in Mirkwood and clear out Moria (during/after the siege of Minas Tirith and the Black Gate).

Been watching this a bunch lately

I think that Martin Freeman could have been nominated for best actor for his performance.

IMO, best acting performance of all 5 Tolkien/Jackson films.

Moonbeard knows of what he speaks.

The guy that does Hobbit deserves awards.

Finally saw Smaug last night. Liked it a lot better than the first one.

Back