• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Devin Thomas and ACC Officals

ACCOffice

Reaction score
I know this subject has been discussed in other threads but not positive about my numbers and would like others input. I also know DT is his own worst enemy in these confrontations. But it is fairly obvious they are confrontations.

I believe last night was DT's 11 career technical. Of the 11, 8 were called by Roger Ayers, Brian Kersey, Jamie Luckee and Mike Eades. The modus operandi on any call affecting DT is the same. Ref makes the call and refs look to see DT's reaction before giving info to scorer. Last nights was the same. Kennard drives past DT to the rim and is fouled from behind. DT ends up against the basket support and slaps it. Ayers waits for DT to turn and walk back to foul line position and make eye contact. When he does Ayers puts whistle in mouth and raises hand, which many officials do when warning a player they are close to a technical. Ayers finally reports to scorer and walks back to position. A few seconds later Ayers, standing at mid court, calls the technical. Surprised that ref under basket didn't make call since he was beside Thomas.
I was on other side of court and could not see DT's reaction when he slapped the basket support but after looking at the replay he looked frustrated with himself, not the ref.

It seems pretty obvious these four, most experienced refs in the ACC, are taking a stand against DT's bull and are attempting to protect the respect they feel officials deserve. A clear message to DT through the years that they are not taking what they feel is bull from DT.

Why can't DT learn he is a marked man and control himself? Are these officials out of line in handling DT different from other players? Why can't coaches get through to DT?

Last edited:
There is no bigger blowhards or power trips than basketball officials. It is on every level. They love to make it about themselves. The fact that we know so many CBB officials names is pathetic. I know very few CFB officials by name sans Ron Cherry ( and I only know that because of the hilarious shit he has done in the past).

Devin needs to know better than to engage in a stare off but that doesn't change the fact that what he did wasn't a T. Seniors have to know better and you really have to know better when playing Duke. This happens all the time against Duke and you have to be expecting it.

Coach K should have gotten a T multiple times from what I could tell based on language you could see on the tv. He was just cussing a ref out after Duke got called for a charge in the first half. You could see the f bombs and everything from his lips.

The juxtaposition on television of Devin and K and the refs treatment of each was interesting to say the least

Nice

“That was an ego technical,’’ Thomas said. “I slapped the backboard which I probably shouldn’t have done, and the ref just had a big ego and gave me a technical.

The juxtaposition on television of Devin and K and the refs treatment of each was interesting to say the least

It certainly was. Say what you want about Devin letting his emotions get the better of him, but there was no question last night as to who was more expressive, emotive, and angry with the refs of the two and it sure as hell wasn't Devin.

Devin was out of position on the play and clearly fouled. His reaction seemed to me at the time to be frustration with his poor play, not the call (His quote in the WSJ confirmed this). I thought the technical was complete crap and easily could have been let go. The call was made all the worse by its essentially changing the course of the game--2 free points for Duke, 2 quick fouls on DT.

Can Manning request that Ayers not work any more of Wake's games this year?

There are different standards for coaches and players, as there should be, but Coach K absolutely deserved a technical foul. His swearing would make a sailor blush.

There are different standards for coaches and players, as there should be, but Coach K absolutely deserved a technical foul. His swearing would make a sailor blush.

Agreed. Coaches should be held to higher standards.

Hell just using the same standards would have gotten K a technical. There's no mistaking what he's saying on the bench to refs and for him to just get a warning for a profanity tirade right after Devin got T'd up for a stare down is hypocritical trash.

Darius got a rep early on and was regularly and unfairly screwed over by the refs. And now it's happened to Devin.

Ayers decided to take out his frustration with Coach K on Devin. He knew if he did anything to K there would be consequences.

Back