• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Devin Thomas and ACC Officals

Crazy that well-compensated, grown men require that kind of obsequiousness from amateur young men. Really odd power dynamic.

That doesn't seem odd. It seems common. What are some fields in which well-compensated grown men don't require such deference from amateur young men?

That doesn't seem odd. It seems common. What are some fields in which well-compensated grown men don't require such deference from amateur young men?

This isn't about deference. Certainly players should respect the refs. But far too often the refs take that idea way too far and forget what their job is. Refs are supposed to be "behind the scenes". Their job is to facilitate the game and make sure it is fairly played. No ref should ever worry about getting "shown up" by a player because a ref isn't the "show" and no one comes to see a referee call a game. They come to watch the players play. Refs need to check their egos at the door when they enter the arena.

That's the tough part. Ego is what allows many to be a ref to begin with, it's a tough job not for the thin skinned. To have the ego to do the job but then turn it off when dealing with the players can be done, but often times is a balance to difficult to strike.

I posted this on the State game thread but it makes more sense here: Has there been an edict from the ACC office to call fouls aggressively? It seems more touch fouls are being called this year with games devolving into foul shooting contests with little flow or continuity.

I posted this on the State game thread but it makes more sense here: Has there been an edict from the ACC office to call fouls aggressively? It seems more touch fouls are being called this year with games devolving into foul shooting contests with little flow or continuity.

The NCAA made it clear that if referees didn't call "touch" fouls then they would not be doing post-season games.

I'm not sure I can think of many other fields where those conditions apply.

Back