• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Devin Thomas Appreciation Thread

needs to watch out with the stare-down / taunting stuff. excited for his future. he is a baller

lol him and Tree and definitely both going to pick up a T this year. I'll take it for their level of emotion and play.

I was trying to figure out during the Virginia game the other night who he reminded me of. I posted in the game thread that I see a lot of similarities to a young George Lynch when he was at UNC. Lynch always had an ability to affect games even as a young player without scoring, and Devin does the same thing. He's tenacious on the boards, he affects shots, he gets his hands into passing lanes, and he's got a good passing eye. Essentially, he does a lot of the little things right that help you win basketball games. I think the biggest key for Devin is his hands--I think a lot of that is because he's still getting used to the speed of the college game, and he appears to be hurrying at times. Once the game slows down (and he's reacting more than thinking on the floor), this should improve.

I was trying to figure out during the Virginia game the other night who he reminded me of. I posted in the game thread that I see a lot of similarities to a young George Lynch when he was at UNC. Lynch always had an ability to affect games even as a young player without scoring, and Devin does the same thing. He's tenacious on the boards, he affects shots, he gets his hands into passing lanes, and he's got a good passing eye. Essentially, he does a lot of the little things right that help you win basketball games. I think the biggest key for Devin is his hands--I think a lot of that is because he's still getting used to the speed of the college game, and he appears to be hurrying at times. Once the game slows down (and he's reacting more than thinking on the floor), this should improve.

If Devin Thomas's ceiling is George Lynch, then sign me up. Lynch was a baller.

That said, I don't think Lynch's combo-forward style is where Devin is destined to end up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Lynch, in Wake player terms, closer to a James Johnson-type power forward?

Hopefully Devin follows the paths of guys like Carl Landry (Purdue) and Leon Powe (Cal), keeping his edge, his ability to make plays out of the high post, and his rebounding prowess in tact as a slightly undersized traditional four.

Lynch played as either a 3 or 4 depending on the situation. He was a good enough rebounder and post defender to hold his own as a 4 (even though he would have been a little undersized), yet was a good enough ball handler, passer and mid-range shooter to handle the 3. My recollection is that he did very little scoring early in his collegiate career but progressed into more of an offensive option as an upperclassman. I can see a similar progression for Devin. I like the Landry and Powe comparisons as well. Bottom line, Devin has shown signs of being very versatile, and that should serve him well going forward.

Lynch isn't much like Devin. He was more of a 3/4. Devin is a 4/5. Devin is a post player. He's also a better passer. Devin's biggest problem going to the next level is his ability to hit 15-19' jumpers.

He's more like a less polished DeJuan Bliar.

“He drove baseline, and I didn’t want to try to take a charge because the refs were being a little questionable,’’ Thomas said. “So I just put two hands up.

Devin Thomas will foul out of the next game Jamie Lucky officiates.

I hate Jamie Lucky.

Devin%20Thomas%20fights%20Anderson%20for%20rebound-L.jpg

Devin%20Thomas%20fights%20Anderson%20for%20loose%20ball-L.jpg

Devin%20Thomas%20layup-L.jpg

Devin%20Thomas%20blocks%20shot%20by%20Odio-L.jpg

Devin%20Thomas%20shot%20in%20lane-L.jpg

Devin%20Thomas%20defends%20basket%20vs%20Hanlan-L.jpg

Devin%20Thomas%20%26%20Madison%20Jones%20defense%20in%20last%20minute-L.jpg

Devin%20Thomas%20defense%20in%20last%20seconds-L.jpg

CJ%20Harris%20fouled%20in%20last%20seconds-L.jpg

Devin%20Thomas%20blocks%20pass%20in%20final%20seconds-L.jpg

Lectro, I love the Stacey Augmon goal for Rountree. Great choice to model his game after.

I think of Devin as a smaller Alvin Jones with respect to his limited offense, but shot blocking rebounding potential.

I do like that people aren't going overboard with the comparisons and choosing good college players who made All-ACC later in their careers. I don't think Devin could put up Jones type of shot blocking numbers, but he could be a solid 2-3 block guy.

I think it's realistic to say Devin will be a better version of Richard Howell. I think next year, Devin will have as good or better numbers than Howell is having this year.
Or even Anthony Teachey.....

I think it's realistic to say Devin will be a better version of Richard Howell. I think next year, Devin will have as good or better numbers than Howell is having this year.
Or even Anthony Teachey.....

PhDeac said:
I do like that people aren't going overboard with the comparisons and choosing good college players who made All-ACC later in their careers

Lol.

The reality is with no help on the boards or in defense in the lane, Devin is averaging over 10 rpg in first three ACC games.It's likely this number will fall a bit but it's a great start. His straight up D and help D have been well above what is expected.

He needds work on finishing, FT shooting and taking a 12-15'. But his tenacity, court vision and bball IQ are already at very, very high levels.

Richard Howell is one of the most underrated players in the country. He probably has the most to do with State being where they are. He ranks in the top 100 in both rebounding categories and in offensive rating. Thomas would have to raise his rating by .4 to get where Howell is this year. If Thomas can do what Howell is doing this year I will be very happy. I don't see him being a lot better than Howell in any way possible.

I am big on DT though. Howell is just a much better player than most think.

I remember Lynch's coming out party when he DOMINATED Alonzo Mourning on national television, dunking on him several times. Even though I hated Carolina it was great to see some realtive unknown (6'7'' at that) hand Mourning his balls on a platter.

I remember Lynch's coming out party when he DOMINATED Alonzo Mourning on national television, dunking on him several times. Even though I hated Carolina it was great to see some realtive unknown (6'7'' at that) hand Mourning his balls on a platter.

Lynch's high school team, Patrick Henry HS (Roanoke), beat Mourning's team in the state semifinals back in the late 80's. It's not like Mourning had no idea about the guy.

doofus, I said next year not this year re:Howell.

Oh I know. My comment stays the same though. Howell is shooting 63 and has a 125 offensive rating. Thomas is shooting 42% and has an 82 offensive rating. Even if DT could get his offensive rebounding where Howells are, he has virtually no chance to exceed or even match Howells offensive output and efficiency. Very few in the country can or are doing what he is doing either. No knock on DT, I think you are undervaluing Howell a little bit.

Back