• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Devin Thomas????

Transfer candidate.

Actually has a lot of truth. I can tell you from experience that the guys you need to watch are sophomores that had excellent freshman years and then slumped as a sophomore. People get in their ears. Tell them anything they want to hear. Easier to blame it on the staff than look at yourself.

In our case we actually have a bad Staff and in addition Devin has already expressed frustration about the support the players get from the fans.

Actually has a lot of truth. I can tell you from experience that the guys you need to watch are sophomores that had excellent freshman years and then slumped as a sophomore. People get in their ears. Tell them anything they want to hear. Easier to blame it on the staff than look at yourself.

In our case we actually have a bad Staff and in addition Devin has already expressed frustration about the support the players get from the fans.

His frustration about lack of fan support is definitely understandable from his perspective. However it's also justifiable from the fan perspective. The product at Wake now is terrible and has been for 3+ years. For a while fans continued to support it while simultaneously complaining despite being insulted by comments like "couldn't be happier". Most felt like this chapter would finally end last March. When it continued even more people stopped. This was either through apathy or the feeling like their only option as a fan to show their displeasure was to abandon it since every other method had fallen on deaf ears.

I doubt Devin transfers if [Redacted] is removed at the end of the year. A new coach is exactly what Wake's program needs right now in so many different ways.

1. We're not feeding him the ball nearly enough, nor running enough pick-and-rolls toward the rim with him as the screener

2. Devin wouldn't transfer, that's just silly

He's still letting that ejection affect his play and all the zone he's seeing from these weak teams mitigates his ability to score inside. He'll pick his game up sooner rather than later, imo.

Last edited:
Let me clarify. I not predicting a transfer or even saying it is a medium possibility. Just commenting that players who experience great success early and then have a down year have a lot if people telling them they could so better if 'x' was different (basically not taking personal responsibility for the down year).

Of the small percentage of players that transfer the above describes a decent chunk of them. But it is still a small likelihood in any case.

I fully expect Devin to bounce back and have am excellent year for us.

Isn't Ari Stewart a prime example of this?

I wonder if he's still bothered by his hip after he tried to jump over that guy. Looked like a brutal fall.

I wonder if he's still bothered by his hip after he tried to jump over that guy. Looked like a brutal fall.

And completely unnecessary. Very dumb play which could've resulted in a severe injury.

Yeah I think his hip is still bothering him. I'm not worried about him right now, I'm also not worried about him potentially transferring. He's not going anywhere.

what, do you have me blocked or what?

Nah, just skimmed the thread and missed your comment. It was such a weird play though - like all of sudden he thought "Fuck this, I'm tired of basketball, I'll just shatter my hip on purpose and be done with it."

I figured an NFL scout was in the audience and he's looking for a tight end gig in the NFL when he's done with college hoops.

Devin's (and most of the team's) problem is a lack of leadership. It's hard for me to put the lack of composure, the "outbursts" at officials, the varying level of play, or the comments about the fanbase squarely on Devin.

He could be a much more consistent and effective player if he carried himself better on the court and didn't let distractions affect his play. But that can be a very slow process for a 19 year old who is not getting proper guidance. A lot of that carries over to the rest of the team as well. Andre was screaming after every blocked shot up double digits against the #300 team in the country. I like the passion but there's a time and a place for it. It's a little thing but those little things add up.

Skip would have pulled him aside at the next timeout and told him to act like he's been there before. Randolph in his playing days would have yelled at him right there on the court. This group plays like you would expect a group of 19 year old kids to play, because noone is telling them differently.

That leadership isn't going to come from [Redacted]. And it isn't going to come from Travis. Our best hope for this season is that Codi realizes that the next step for him isn't an individual one (which he has clearly made from last year) but raising the rest of the team up to his level. If Codi can make this unequivocally his team I could see them doing some damage in ACC play.

The sad thing, and one of the biggest indictments of Buzz, is that it is fair to wonder how much he has/does get in the way of this process.

Skip would have subbed him out and got in his face right there on the bench. Skip had that look in his eye that could peel paint when he was mad. :eek:

Isn't Ari Stewart a prime example of this?

A perfect example. Really doesn't have a whole lot to do with being a cancer or not. If a player has early success and them falters other coaches see it as an opportunity and find a way to recruit being the scenes. Happens all the time.

Devin's (and most of the team's) problem is a lack of leadership. It's hard for me to put the lack of composure, the "outbursts" at officials, the varying level of play, or the comments about the fanbase squarely on Devin.

He could be a much more consistent and effective player if he carried himself better on the court and didn't let distractions affect his play. But that can be a very slow process for a 19 year old who is not getting proper guidance. A lot of that carries over to the rest of the team as well. Andre was screaming after every blocked shot up double digits against the #300 team in the country. I like the passion but there's a time and a place for it. It's a little thing but those little things add up.

Skip would have pulled him aside at the next timeout and told him to act like he's been there before. Randolph in his playing days would have yelled at him right there on the court. This group plays like you would expect a group of 19 year old kids to play, because noone is telling them differently.

That leadership isn't going to come from [Redacted]. And it isn't going to come from Travis. Our best hope for this season is that Codi realizes that the next step for him isn't an individual one (which he has clearly made from last year) but raising the rest of the team up to his level. If Codi can make this unequivocally his team I could see them doing some damage in ACC play.

The sad thing, and one of the biggest indictments of Buzz, is that it is fair to wonder how much he has/does get in the way of this process.

While this may sound good, it doesn't make any sense since you have no idea what coaches have told Devin about his emotional outburst in the Bahamas and Randolph Childress is sitting on the bench. If he "would have yelled at him" in his playing days why do you think he wouldn't now, either during the game or after?
There is plenty to blame [Redacted] for but not being able to control the on court emotions of a 19 year old isn't necessarily something he can control.
Plus, Devin had at least 2 teammates in his face trying to calm him down when he picked up the 2nd T in the Paradise Jam.

Off topic, but I have been very encouraged by Cav's play lately. Last year he was purely a set shooter. He's actually taking people off the dribble and finishing at the rim this year, which should open up easier shots for him. Could develop into a really solid player over the next couple years.

Off topic, but I have been very encouraged by Cav's play lately. Last year he was purely a set shooter. He's actually taking people off the dribble and finishing at the rim this year, which should open up easier shots for him. Could develop into a really solid player over the next couple years.

Agreed. I feel like he's one of the most improved this year.

Back