• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Devin's jaw?

My guess is probably fine. Takes a big whack to break the jaw usually. But will see. Hope for his sake I'm right

Devin is soft this year. I am very disappointed in his progression.

Devin is soft this year. I am very disappointed in his progression.
I don't think he's soft. Teams have just figured him out. He's very, very limited offensively. As long as the defender stays between Devin and the basket, Devin can't really do much of anything. He has no vertical / jump hook in his arsenal.

Don't want to be too hard on Devin. But Andre may have more potential just because of his size. Obviously he needs coaching and work, but the raw materials are there, I think.

Wow. Too late & I need to go to bed. I saw thread title and thought it said 'Devin's jew' and I thought WTH.

Don't want to be too hard on Devin. But Andre may have more potential just because of his size. Obviously he needs coaching and work, but the raw materials are there, I think.

This is dumb, and I'm an Andre believer. If anything Andre reaching his potential would help Devin tremendously because it would allow him to play exclusively at the four. Some shooters and a competent coach would help as well.

I've thought this all along as well, Devin being able to play the 4 exclusively. But was thinking, since he has no real jump shot and can only score around the rim, what would it look like if Devin was playing the 4? What would be different?

th

If Devin was showing the symptoms of a concussion, they were right to hold him out. That's not being soft.

This is dumb, and I'm an Andre believer. If anything Andre reaching his potential would help Devin tremendously because it would allow him to play exclusively at the four. Some shooters and a competent coach would help as well.

I was talking about potential in the position of center (sorry I did not make that clear). Devin is forced to play out of position. Andre has more potential at that position. I can only recall one time that both have been on the floor together; but I have not watched every game. Devin is better suited to play the 4 size wise; but must develop the necessary offensive skills. He needs actual playing time at the 4. It is too bad that Andre has not progressed to the extent that they can get substantial minutes together.

I was talking about potential in the position of center (sorry I did not make that clear)
. Devin is forced to play out of position. Andre has more potential at that position. I can only recall one time that both have been on the floor together; but I have not watched every game. Devin is better suited to play the 4 size wise; but must develop the necessary offensive skills. He needs actual playing time at the 4. It is too bad that Andre has not progressed to the extent that they can get substantial minutes together.

got it, I misunderstood the first time. Totally agree. Devin has flashed the skills necessary to be a very good college 4 but has unfortunately not been able to develop those as he has been forced to play out of position.

Devin has worked hard in an attempt to develop his right hand, with very limited results so far. He is still a one-handed player. Teams have figured out that they need to take his left away. Although Devin has many ways to get to his left, he has been a focus of opponents scouts this season (much more than last year) and I fear that conference foes will continue to be able to frustrate him.

Dre's poor footwork (anticipation and reaction), especially on defense, is a severely limiting factor for him, and that is not something that can easily be corrected.

got it, I misunderstood the first time. Totally agree. Devin has flashed the skills necessary to be a very good college 4 but has unfortunately not been able to develop those as he has been forced to play out of position.

To echo an earlier poster, I'm not sure I see these flashes. Thomas is exclusively a back-to-the-basket player. He doesn't appear to have the lateral quickness to guard most 4s. He also doesn't have the jumpshot or off-the-dribble game to be able to play 4 on a team playing Andre Washington at C, because neither of those guys have range or an ability to space the court.

I think C is his best position in college.

And while Washington has made improvements, he is still a long ways away from being effective even at a Chas McFarland-level.

This is the dumbest thing you've said on the boards.

Devin is leading the ACC in rebounding.... complain about his offense if you want.... but leading the ACC in rebounding shows plenty of progression. And it proves for damn sure that he isn't soft.

Using out of conference stats (or after a game or 2) does not an ACC leader make. But he can only rebound against the team's Bz schedules so we will see.

I think devin feels the pressure more than any other on the team. He just needs to settle down, and will.

Back