• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DFL in the acc again

Very few liked the BZ hire, I actually thought DFL Danny might be a decent hire. To me the real sin is Well-man! and Madame Currie accepting and prolonging the failure and toxicity of these hires for years after any rational human being would have pulled trigger. College sports is a huge business and no business would have tolerated such failed performance from the CEO(s).

I actually thought the bzz hire had a little more potential due to his experience in NBA and NCAA. Obviously anyone could see after hearing him that he doesn't have the personality to recruit. DFL Manning had virtually no HC experience and also has the charisma of a zombie.... The walking dead kind, def. Not the world war z kind. To hand the keys to an acc program to these stooges is so irresponsible. A normal program would have fired Wellman's ass years ago instead of letting him ride off into the sunset to count his millions. The fact they named a street after that disgraceful asshat is infuriating to me

Very few liked the BZ hire, I actually thought DFL Danny might be a decent hire. To me the real sin is Well-man! and Madame Currie accepting and prolonging the failure and toxicity of these hires for years after any rational human being would have pulled trigger. College sports is a huge business and no business would have tolerated such failed performance from the CEO(s).

You don't hire an inexperienced person to recover from a disaster. That is what Wellman did with Manning.

It was doomed from the start.

Like this???

attachment.php

You don't hire an inexperienced person to recover from a disaster. That is what Wellman did with Manning.

Agree with this. Manning was a terrible hire considering the shape of the program. It was a gigantic risk at a time when Wake could least afford a risk.
In some ways it was a worse hire than BZ as the occasional bad hire is survivable.

Whenever we get around to redacting Manning's name I suggest that his name is repaced with DFL.

Could also note his 20 loss seasons [5 of 6] or whatever it ends up being.

Just looking at our Roster. . .Next year we lose Childress, White and Johnson and very likely could lose Brown and Sarr. So, we will be REBUILDING AGAIN! How a last place team is in a constant rebuilding mode is totally beyond me. And the pieces we have left are WOOF at best.

The sad part is that I don't even care anymore. College basketball is completely dead to me and I don't see myself ever coming back.

Roster's not an issue, it's all about the coaching. Plus, don't worry about the potential roster attrition because when we hire Kelsey we'll get DJ Burns Jr too.

What was Dino actually fired for that happened in the 6 months between when Wellman announced his extension and when he was actually fired? There's never been an answer to that question from people who don't think he was because of Dino's continued late season collapses or for Wellman to get his buddy over to Wake.

I asked Dino last month and he confirmed it was over recruiting philosophy.

All the “culture” stuff Wellman sycophants blame on Gaudio happened before Wellman gave him an extension.

[Redacted] kept the players involved in those culture incidents and named Gary Clark team captain.

This needs to be said again. And again.

So if this sexual harassment thing is true, did we settle with the assistant as well? Is there a non-disclosure agreement?

Hiding stuff like that never is a good look.

And frankly, we hear rumor and innuendo of stuff like this about Wake way too much. It makes it hard for the fanbase to trust the AD.

And why did we fire Dino? I can't remember... :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to gossip but wasn't thereca rumor of a moral failure on Dino's part, similar to Staak, which was a big unannounced factor in being dismissed?

I asked Dino last month and he confirmed it was over recruiting philosophy.

I know from conversations with Dino during his time as HC that recruiting was always at the top of things on his mind. In every conversation recruiting would come up quickly. I remember him talking about trying to recruit against places like Duke and UNC with seemingly limitless budgets, private planes to fly anywhere to look at anyone. We had a much more limited budget and that's an obvious challenge.

However, Dino was out there overcoming our innate disadvantages to still compete for AND LAND top recruits. He didn't make excuses or settle (like Wellman, Bz, DM). Wellman had different priorities and was stuck with a coach he never would have hired in other circumstances. Dino was not Wellman's guy. You don't have to speculate anymore about that relationship other than what was obvious. Dino was already frustrated trying to overcome recruiting disadvantages and instead of helping the situation, Wellman is an asshat and constantly criticized Dino's efforts. Ph is right, the simplest answer is Wellman saw a chance to get his own guy in and it didn't work out.

All discussion about Dino's record, coaching ability, contract, contract extension is irrelevant. As we've seen from Wellman since he is terrible at evaluating coaches, terrible with contracts, and not very motivated by W-L numbers.

If there were sexual harassment, then Dino could have been fired for cause, or the university could have negotiated a smaller settlement. I don't understand why our cheap-ass AD would have paid Dino to coverup something that was more detrimental to Dino than the university.

And he and Ron hadn't ironed that out before the extension?

We got Butlerized a second time. Except Wellman was dead-ass wrong about how Steveans built that team. He has two NBA players and another 1 or 2 boarderline kids.

So if this sexual harassment thing is true, did we settle with the assistant as well? Is there a non-disclosure agreement?

Hiding stuff like that never is a good look.

And frankly, we hear rumor and innuendo of stuff like this about Wake way too much. It makes it hard for the fanbase to trust the AD.

Well it’s a good thing the old AD is gone.

Back