• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Did Grobe change post-Orange Bowl?

wwtdd

Reaction score
The excitement thread got me thinking back to the early Grobe years. I loved the orbit motion. I loved Riley as a lead blocker on an end around. But it failed miserably in the Orange Bowl and was abandoned the next year. I think Wake will always need a gimmick offense or to be one step ahead to ever win the ACC or truly win big time. I am very excited for the Clawson hire but wonder if he can stay ahead of the competition. His quotes about adapting his offense to his personnel are logical on the one hand but eerily reminiscent of Grobo post 2006. Anyone else excited but nervous?

It is pretty useless to speculate what our offense will look like based on a press conference. His past history shows him to be competent on both sides of the ball. His public presence makes me believe he would be a good recruiter to wake. If he does those three things consistently we will have a product worthy of fan support.

He also seems to have "it".... The competitive edge, the ambition, the moxie....however you want to define it. One of those things you don't know how to define until you see it in a person. Good coaches can spot it in players and as a fan it is the one thing I always try to look at when evaluating a coach.

Sometimes it is easy to spot (or spot the lack thereof). Clawson clearly has the momentum and moxie on his side right now. Going to be fun to see how his team develops. We lose a lot this summer so it will be interesting to see what we got this spring.

What changed for Wake football?

Dean Hood - gone
Brad Lambert - gone
Jeff Mullen - gone
Grobe's fire - gone

These guys were not replaced with equal ability -downgrades all around. There was never a sense of urgency or even the enjoyment of football. Ambition was replaced with excuses.

Dean Hood - gone
Brad Lambert - gone
Jeff Mullen - gone
Grobe's fire - gone

These guys were not replaced with equal ability -downgrades all around. There was never a sense of urgency or even the enjoyment of football. Ambition was replaced with excuses.

Word to your mutha!

Our recruiting did improve on paper post Orange Bowl. Not as much as some of us would have liked. But we had alot of misses. Combine that with staff downgrades and Grobe aging..........

Perhaps Grobe took up cycling after the Orange Bowl?

I have always sort of felt we captured lightning in a bottle over and over again in 2006.

* First, the fact that Riley Skinner was a borderline NFL quality quarterback was totally lucky. His lack of size is why he wasn't an elite recruit, but he had elite accuracy and an incredible pocket sense/presence. You could almost say that Grobe was a 4-6 win a season coach for 13 years if it weren't for Riley Skinner.

* Then, our conservative field position strategy always worked in 2006. It is a weak strategy, IMO, in that in required getting turnovers to beat good teams. We just happened to just about lead the country in takeaways that year. But couple that with a great kicker and punter and that strategy worked every single time.
In 2007, it failed against UVa with a last second field goal and that was sort of the beginning of the end for that strategy. It failed a lot since 2007.

* The whole recruit a fast 6'2" 195 pound linebacker so he can become a 6'3 1/2' 245 pound beast thing worked via Curry but is not really a recruiting strategy that is going to consistently work, or it is certainly not predictable.

* Assistants as said above.

But I was sure we were going to lose that Georgia Tech ACC Championship because we played so fucking conservatively in the rain going against perhaps the least accuracte passer in the history of Div 1 football. We were, shall we say, fortunate.

We also had an awesome defense and a feeling of inevitability that comes along every once and while.

Dean Hood - gone
Brad Lambert - gone
Jeff Mullen - gone
Grobe's fire - gone
Lobo- still there

Complete.

It is pretty useless to speculate what our offense will look like based on a press conference. His past history shows him to be competent on both sides of the ball. His public presence makes me believe he would be a good recruiter to wake. If he does those three things consistently we will have a product worthy of fan support.

He also seems to have "it".... The competitive edge, the ambition, the moxie....however you want to define it. One of those things you don't know how to define until you see it in a person. Good coaches can spot it in players and as a fan it is the one thing I always try to look at when evaluating a coach.

Sometimes it is easy to spot (or spot the lack thereof). Clawson clearly has the momentum and moxie on his side right now. Going to be fun to see how his team develops. We lose a lot this summer so it will be interesting to see what we got this spring.

Buzz has "it," right?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I have always sort of felt we captured lightning in a bottle over and over again in 2006.

* First, the fact that Riley Skinner was a borderline NFL quality quarterback was totally lucky. His lack of size is why he wasn't an elite recruit, but he had elite accuracy and an incredible pocket sense/presence. You could almost say that Grobe was a 4-6 win a season coach for 13 years if it weren't for Riley Skinner.

* Then, our conservative field position strategy always worked in 2006. It is a weak strategy, IMO, in that in required getting turnovers to beat good teams. We just happened to just about lead the country in takeaways that year. But couple that with a great kicker and punter and that strategy worked every single time.
In 2007, it failed against UVa with a last second field goal and that was sort of the beginning of the end for that strategy. It failed a lot since 2007.

* The whole recruit a fast 6'2" 195 pound linebacker so he can become a 6'3 1/2' 245 pound beast thing worked via Curry but is not really a recruiting strategy that is going to consistently work, or it is certainly not predictable.

* Assistants as said above.

But I was sure we were going to lose that Georgia Tech ACC Championship because we played so fucking conservatively in the rain going against perhaps the least accuracte passer in the history of Div 1 football. We were, shall we say, fortunate.

We also had an awesome defense and a feeling of inevitability that comes along every once and while.

You forgot that the traditional power house schools were also down then. I like Clawson but would be very surprised if we can win championships if FSU and Clemson continue to stay strong.

First, the fact that Riley Skinner was a borderline NFL quality quarterback was totally lucky. His lack of size is why he wasn't an elite recruit, but he had elite accuracy and an incredible pocket sense/presence. You could almost say that Grobe was a 4-6 win a season coach for 13 years if it weren't for Riley Skinner.

I'm inclined toagree with this.

At NCSU, it was once a question of "Is it Chuck Amato or Philip Rivers?" History showed it was Rivers. History also makes a strong case for Skinner, as oppossed to Grobe. But then again, good players make good coaches.

I'm inclined toagree with this.

At NCSU, it was once a question of "Is it Chuck Amato or Philip Rivers?" History showed it was Rivers. History also makes a strong case for Skinner, as oppossed to Grobe. But then again, good players make good coaches.

The last pass that Joe Montana ever threw in an NFL game was a perfect pass. He was in Kansas City, driving towards the end of the game, a home game, he had the worst starting receivers in the league and one of the worst lines. He did have Marcus Allen. But he was getting hammered all game and on the last play of the game he had three guys coming at him and he threw a timing pass into the endzone the only place it could have been caught, and the KC receiver flat out dropped it.

I bring it up because I remember the Riley Skinner pass at NC State in the same light. I think it was 2007. We sucked the whole game but somehow were in it at the end and Skinner threw just the perfect ball to someone in the back of the end zone and he just fucking dropped it.

Skinner was money, money, money. I had heard he had a chance to make the NY Giants but just walked away because he wanted no part of NFL injuries.

I used to love when Skinner would move up in the pocket with a couple of bounces. You just knew he was going to complete the pass.

BTW, Grobe's conservatism cost us the Louisville game so he was always play not to lose. Not going for it on 4th and inches with 10 minutes left after Louisville went 81 yards on our D to go up 17-13 was the killer. Of course Louisville gets the ball back and goes like 65 yards for the score, game over.

In some way I gotta hand it to the man for sticking to his gameplan but how can you do that in the biggest game of your life?

Especially when you're already in an everything-to-gain/nothing-to-lose situation

The last pass that Joe Montana ever threw in an NFL game was a perfect pass. He was in Kansas City, driving towards the end of the game, a home game, he had the worst starting receivers in the league and one of the worst lines. He did have Marcus Allen. But he was getting hammered all game and on the last play of the game he had three guys coming at him and he threw a timing pass into the endzone the only place it could have been caught, and the KC receiver flat out dropped it.

I bring it up because I remember the Riley Skinner pass at NC State in the same light. I think it was 2007. We sucked the whole game but somehow were in it at the end and Skinner threw just the perfect ball to someone in the back of the end zone and he just fucking dropped it.

Skinner was money, money, money. I had heard he had a chance to make the NY Giants but just walked away because he wanted no part of NFL injuries.

Yep- I was there at that State game in Raleigh and the pass in the end zone for the win hit a young Marshall Williams in the hands- and he dropped it.:tear:

You forgot that the traditional power house schools were also down then. I like Clawson but would be very surprised if we can win championships if FSU and Clemson continue to stay strong.

But the good thing is that you can count on Clemson blowing at least one big game a year. Now whether we can beat FSU is another question, but Clemson may never win an ACC championship.

Back