• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Did Grobe change post-Orange Bowl?

But the good thing is that you can count on Clemson blowing at least one big game a year. Now whether we can beat FSU is another question, but Clemson may never win an ACC championship.

They just did two years ago. Losing to teams they weren't supposed to lose to was more of a Bowden phenomenon

We can't worry about FSU and Clemson. Clawson has to put the best Wake team on the field to take on all comers.

Until the last two years, Clemson and FSU were very beatable. Heck, two years ago, a semi-interested Jim Grobe and an apparently incompetent staff beat FSU (coached by Jimbo) and took Clemson to the brink (at Clemson). Would not be surprised to see WF beat either team once Clawson has his program fully in-place.

When Jameis leaves, FSU will come back down to earth. First, it was Vince Young, Then Cam Newton. Next it's Johnny Football and Jameis Winston. Those teams had the best player on the field everytime they played, by far. When they left, the teams came back to earth. It'll happen with FSU too.

Yep- I was there at that State game in Raleigh and the pass in the end zone for the win hit a young Marshall Williams in the hands- and he dropped it.:tear:

I felt like we said that a lot during Skinners last two years here. So many games where our receivers really let us down after 2007. The State game you're thinking of with Marshall was 2008 by the way.

As far as did Grobe change, I think he did some but I think losing some really valuable assistants and some misses in recruiting were the larger issues. I think a lot of people thought after making the Orange bowl our recruiting would really elevate and it did not.

Who was our offensive coordinator in the early Grobe years? I forget his name - but he was the genius that gave us the innovative offense that befuddled everyone on our schedule and allowed us to compete with and defeat teams with far greater talent. By the time a couple of years had passed after he was hired away, all that innovation had bled out of the team - others had figured us out and/or copied us and we had no more genius to move us forward again. We had been Lobotomized.

I felt like we said that a lot during Skinners last two years here. So many games where our receivers really let us down after 2007. The State game you're thinking of with Marshall was 2008 by the way.

As far as did Grobe change, I think he did some but I think losing some really valuable assistants and some misses in recruiting were the larger issues. I think a lot of people thought after making the Orange bowl our recruiting would really elevate and it did not.

Losing assistants is natural. It always happens. The key is replacing them, and if needs be firing them. He did a poor job rebuilding his staff. Clawson stated his most important job was building his staff. He is correct.

Who was our offensive coordinator in the early Grobe years? I forget his name - but he was the genius that gave us the innovative offense that befuddled everyone on our schedule and allowed us to compete with and defeat teams with far greater talent. By the time a couple of years had passed after he was hired away, all that innovation had bled out of the team - others had figured us out and/or copied us and we had no more genius to move us forward again. We had been Lobotomized.

I used to love hearing everyone bitch about us being on their schedules. All the whinning about cut blocks and misdirection was awesome.

Then Lobo came along and we once again became everyone's top choice for a homecoming sacrifical lamb

Don't know if Grobe changed.... As mentioned earlier in the thread, his staff changed a lot..... More than anything his fan base changed and expectations changed. Criticisms changed. It is not easy to go from hero to blogger whipping boy so quickly.

Don't know if Grobe changed.... As mentioned earlier in the thread, his staff changed a lot..... More than anything his fan base changed and expectations changed. Criticisms changed. It is not easy to go from hero to blogger whipping boy so quickly.

bullshit

even when we were not winning pre OB we were a competitive pain in the ass team to play. recently we've been getting our asses kicked frequently

If Grobe didn't understand that accepting a $22M+ contract came with higher expectations than he isn't very smart. That wasn't a reward for previous success.

FWIW, it seems pretty clear to me that Grobe read too much of his own press..thought he was better than he actually was so when things started to turn south he didn't look at himself or his staff to make substantive changes, but instead started to make excuses.

Back